2 replies to this topic

#1 BettyL.

BettyL.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

I am highly allergic to sulfur and any of it compounds. I watch the label for sulfites as I am allergic to it. In the 60's & 70's the a lot of buffets, groceries ,etc would spray sulfite on light color foods and I would have a reaction from it. It is now illegal to spray foods with the sulfite compound. After my recent experience I am wondering if part of my problem may to other chemical compounds added to food to keep them fresh. I would think nitrates might be a source. Any thoughts.
Betty L.
Betty L.
Meridian, ID

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wowzer

wowzer

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

It is a good point you brought up. I read quite a bit about sulfites thinking that was my problem. I am allergic to sulfa drugs. I have always had a strange reaction to wine. I remember reading about sulfites. It is naturally in many foods, so it can be really hard to avoid.

#3 BettyL.

BettyL.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:55 AM

It is a good point you brought up. I read quite a bit about sulfites thinking that was my problem. I am allergic to sulfa drugs. I have always had a strange reaction to wine. I remember reading about sulfites. It is naturally in many foods, so it can be really hard to avoid.

I learned about sulfites long before I knew about celiac disease. I have had to avoid them. You will find them in light color food, mushrooms, beer, potatoes (partially cook) dried fruits like apricots, peaches, pineapple, etc. I always read the label if sulfites are there, I put the item back. One experience I had ; the doctor wanted to used sulfur for a kidney infection. I told I was allergic to sulifites . He reply this was different and I knew he was correct. A week later I had a bad allergic reaction to it. Since that time I avoid all food with sulfur or any of it compounds.
Betty L.
Meridian, ID

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: