This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Munchkins!

Cam's Mom

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Joann...actually sounds like your pan is TOO hot...getting done on the outside and NOT on the inside. i had the same problem frying donuts. Just a thought.

I know when things aren't getting done INSIDE, our tendency is to increase the heat on the OUTSIDE, but that actually has the opposite effect, thus cooking the outside much faster than the inside and creating raw batter when the outside is almost burned.

Hope you figure it out. I'm REALLY tempted to go buy the pan...although< i'd rather get a Donut maker. I figured out how to make cake donuts. i started making them as holes, but I'd REALLY love a whole donut.

In a few weeks I have to make a breakfast item to take to a women's thing. I'd love to take in fresh chocolate iced donuts with sprinkles. :D Especially since they would NEVEr know they were gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ptkds Community Regular

I've had the same problem, too. I think it all depends on the batter. I used the gluten-free Pantry muffin mix, and they were perfect, but I have used a brownie mix and a cake mix, and they weren't good at all. The outside would burn, and they were too soft to flip over. I am just gonna keep playing around with it until I find the recipes that work!

ptkds

Jo Ann Apprentice
I've had the same problem, too. I think it all depends on the batter. I used the gluten-free Pantry muffin mix, and they were perfect, but I have used a brownie mix and a cake mix, and they weren't good at all. The outside would burn, and they were too soft to flip over. I am just gonna keep playing around with it until I find the recipes that work!

ptkds

Jo Ann Apprentice

Well, I spent the better part of a morning trying to make these little things and could not get a decent batch. Used a pancake mix that makes great pancakes. Heated the munchkin maker on medium, brushed wells with margarine, filled 3/4 full, waited until bottoms looked done (about 5 min.), turned them for about 5 min. more, then turned them again. Tried this with cooler pan, hotter pan, in desperation even tried to bake them at 350 F. Tried putting jam in middle with more batter on top. They seemed done, but the flipped side did not turn out round and smooth and the center never got done. Nothing worked. Looked for "Arne" to watch, but couldn't find that. Maybe I'm just not suppose to make these things. I'm with you "kbabe" and think it's better to make donuts. If you have a good recipe, would appreciate your sharing. Our grandson would love to taste a real donut.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Well, I spent the better part of a morning trying to make these little things and could not get a decent batch. Used a pancake mix that makes great pancakes. Heated the munchkin maker on medium, brushed wells with margarine, filled 3/4 full, waited until bottoms looked done (about 5 min.), turned them for about 5 min. more, then turned them again. Tried this with cooler pan, hotter pan, in desperation even tried to bake them at 350 F. Tried putting jam in middle with more batter on top. They seemed done, but the flipped side did not turn out round and smooth and the center never got done. Nothing worked. Looked for "Arne" to watch, but couldn't find that. Maybe I'm just not suppose to make these things. I'm with you "kbabe" and think it's better to make donuts. If you have a good recipe, would appreciate your sharing. Our grandson would love to taste a real donut.

I found that 3/4 full was too much. Less than 1/2 full worked a lot better. I used oil, not margarine, too.

mamaw Community Regular

Hello

sorry you are having trouble--keep trying. If you go to page 1 & the very first post from Cam's MOM , she has the website listed & "arne" is on that site if I remember correctly.

I agree with FiddleFaddle that maybe you are filling them to full. I too, only go about 1/2 way.....

Has anyone tried to make Boston cream donuts Yet? If so, can you post the recipe. thanks

mamaw

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

I've been making these little gems but usually they are gone before long. But I wondered if anyone had made them & reheated them in the micro? I'm not always at the grandkids house early mornings & I thought maybe I could make these the night before & reheat them a bit...

Also has anyon e come up with the boston cream recipe yet? Or any new things to make with this gadget...

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I have been making these vegan (which are dairy-free, too) with the recipe from this site:

Open Original Shared Link

I do some things differently, though.

Dry Ingredients:

1 Cup All Purpose Flour - I USE BOB'S RED MILL.

1/2 Cup Sugar

1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder

1/4 tsp Salt

1/4 tsp (scant) Nutmeg - I DO NOT USE THIS

1 tiny pinch or shake Cinnamon

-I ALSO ADD Xanthan Gum.

Wet Ingredients:

1/2 Cup Soymilk

1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar

1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

Egg Replacer for 1 Egg - I USE FLAX SEED (boil water before adding and let sit for 15 minutes.)

4 Tbs Earth Balance

I also do not do the wet ingredients over the stove. I melt the butter in the microwave and then add all the stuff.

For frosting I use:

4 tbs Earth Balance.

3/4 cup powdered sugar.

1 tsp vanilla extract.

1/8 tsp cinnamon.

They are very yummie!

Darn210 Enthusiast
Hi

I've been making these little gems but usually they are gone before long. But I wondered if anyone had made them & reheated them in the micro? I'm not always at the grandkids house early mornings & I thought maybe I could make these the night before & reheat them a bit...

Also has anyon e come up with the boston cream recipe yet? Or any new things to make with this gadget...

mamaw

I used the Pamela's muffin recipe. I made extra and kept them in the fridge. We had them the next two mornings. They were fine cold and they also heated up well in the microwave.

casnco Enthusiast

Hello friends. I just bought this pan and am looking forward to using it. However when I opened it there were no instructions. I live over an hour away from the store I bought it in so I hate to drive all the way back for the instruction/receipie book.

Do I just oil the pan like I do for pancakes? If I want to add things that are solid when do they get added so that they end up in the middle. I think it will make cust hor duvors. (I have no idea how to spell that!!)

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Janet--- thanks for letting me know!!!! I'll give it a try..

Casnco: the instruction book is also a small recipe book. I would want the book if it were me... I would call the store & tell them & perhaps they would send you a book or the very first post in this section has "Arne's" video & if I remember some recipes. Maybe you can copy it from his site & make your own book.... The first one I bought I had to return because it was rusty (like it had gotten very damp * not dried) they said since most of them come from across the pond it could have gotten damp & rusted.

good luck

mamaw

Darn210 Enthusiast

Of course they have their own website. You can even listen to the infomercial. It has a bunch of recipes and contact information. Maybe you can email them and have them send you the booklet. I think the recipes are probably all on the website but there is one page on how to cook with it and how to clean it - that may be in the infomercial but I wasn't willing to listen to it.

Juliet Newbie

For those of you having trouble using your pan, check out these recipes off of the Williams Sonoma website. These are all great recipes that also explain exactly how much to fill up the pan and ways to flip it. I just substituted with Pamela's Baking mix, but you could easily use any gluten free flour, even without xanthan or guar gum since so many eggs are used. The taste of these is like a very light, barely sweet puffed up egg custard with a sweet filling. For fillings, I've substituted with lemon curd, raspberry jam, etc. I haven't tried the apples one or chocolate one (will someday soon :) ), but the others I have.

mamaw Community Regular

thank you for the info!!!

Silly Yak Pete Rookie

Hey I bought it on Saturday and went to use it last night and low and behold the injector, sticks and recipe book and brush were missing so I have to go to Bed Bath and Beyond To return it. Cant wait to use it though.

Katydid Apprentice

Hey - has everyone interested in this pan seen the Walgreen ad in last Sunday's paper? I think they are national ads.

Walgreens has the same identical Pancake Puff Pan in their "As Seen on TV" section. Easier to get to because it seems like there is one on every corner. Cost is 19.95.

Kay

• 1 month later...
jerseygrl Explorer

I just got this for my girls as a Christmas present, and I will attempt this on Christmas morn.

I can't find the Arne video as mentioned earlier -- can someone give me a direct link?

It's not obvious on the official site. Thanks!

Also, any new recipes or tips?

Archived