7 replies to this topic

#1 christtheking

christtheking

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 09:27 AM

OK, please give your thoughts on Digestive Enzymes as an aid in addition to a gluten-free diet to stomach woes.

Thanks...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 aaascr

aaascr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:16 AM

I take them - to me they help alleviate a lot of the bloating, gas and reflux. My primary physician is an md and holistic doc too. I take a "multi" enzyme 2x's a day and keep tropical papaya tablets (all are allergen/gluten free) for meal/snack times if necessary. The older we get the less enzymes are bodies produce - and I'd much rather take these.
Hope this helps!
Alicia
alicia
been gluten-free 4 yrs.
too many food allergies to list!

#3 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:55 AM

aascr: Can you tell us the name of the enzymes and papaya tabs, or is that against the rules? Ruth S.

#4 snipe12

snipe12

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 03:34 AM

The best Digestive Enzymes I have used are Brands like Solgar. Much better than any of the ones that have things like papaya and ginger etc. You can certainly tell the difference after a big meal.

#5 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:57 AM

I took "Udo's Choice" digestive plant enzyme blend for over a year continuing almost 7 months after going gluten free UNTIL I noticed that 'barley malt extract' was listed under 'other' ingredients. :blink: I'm so glad I eliminated one more source of gluten contamination. I've been mostly gluten/dairy/soy free for several months, so my digestion is fine now without those enzymes. If anyone read my earlier post on this board about those enzymes and tried that brand, I must apologize and hope they read the label before taking them. :( I'm sorry that I unknowingly recommended a contaminated brand of enzymes. :o
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#6 aaascr

aaascr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 11:59 AM

I use Wholezyme found at Whole Foods and Tropical Papaya (Country Life)
also found @ Whole Foods - don't know what I'd do w/o that store!
Alicia
alicia
been gluten-free 4 yrs.
too many food allergies to list!

#7 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:30 PM

I have used enzymes now since going gluten-free for good in January. I was very ill after my two month gluten challenge and could hardly digest anything except rice and small amounts of chicken. Certainly not fruits and veggies! Enzymes really saved me.

My favorite is Pioneer brand Digestive Enzymes and Herbs. They are clearly marked gluten-free and work well for me.

I recently was given some samples of Fast Food Enzymes by Natural Balance. They are NOT actually made from fast food! :rolleyes: I think the name will certainly turn some people off. Anyhow, I checked with the company and they said they are gluten and dairy free. I tried them today and I have not had any problems.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#8 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:47 PM

Thanks to all of you who listed the enzymes you take . I hope I will be able to find one or more of them. There is a small health food store within 20 miles of my little town. Perhaps she can order some. I rarely get to larger centers. Will check into this next time I get to "town". Ruth S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: