This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Elevated Ana?

Lisa Ann

Lisa Ann Apprentice

Is it normal for someone with Celiac Disease to have an elevated ANA? The Dr. checked mine and it was 1:320 - he is suspecting Lupus. I really have not had many symptoms other than minimal arm pain. I'm just wondering if this is something that celiac disease would elevate?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

loraleena Contributor

Before I was gluten free I had an elevated ANA. This is just an indicator that something autoimmune is happening. Lupus is possible, but so is arthritis and many other conditions including celiac. There is a second test they need to do to prove Lupus. I had this and it was negative. At the time I had Fibromyalgia symptoms. Can't remember the test, but ask your doctor.

Lisa Ann Apprentice

I guess my real ? is - if I'm following a strict gluten-free diet could the ANA still be elevated just because of Celiac? I'm guessing the elevated ANA is coming from another autoimmune disease - but which one? I really don't have many symptoms so I'm hoping for the best!

2kids4me Contributor

An elevated ANA is not indicative of Lupus, it depends on the pattern they see (rim, speckled etc). It is seen with lupus as well as other markers for the disease. ANA alone is not diagnostic of anything but is combined with other results and special immune tests. (like an ENA profile - extractable nuclear antigens)

Elevated ANA is common in older (+30) women and those suffering from autoimmune disease. My daughter is 14 and has an ANA of 1:640 Lupus and a number of other immune mediated diseases have been ruled out.

It is presumed to be due to celiac +the hypothyroidism that she has...

Wouldnt be too concerned unless you were symptomatic of something.

Sandy

Lisa Ann Apprentice

Thanks very much! It really threw me for a loop. I will go and see the Rheumatologist but now I won't worry so much. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
hapy4dolphins Contributor

HI, I've had a high ana for 14 years plus and the docs and rheumatologist could never figure out why. ALl of the other panels and autoimmunie tests would come back negative. I've had as high as the 1000's before. Well, last week, I got it taken again after about a year or so and some how, they came back NEGATIVE for the ana. I asked if that was correct and they must have made a mistake.

I've been gluten-free for a year 1/2 now.

Nicole in Michigan

• 3 months later...
hapy4dolphins Contributor

I am replying again. I did have a neg. ana for the first time this month. My rheumatolgist applies it to taking vit. d since I was deficient.

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced
An elevated ANA is not indicative of Lupus, it depends on the pattern they see (rim, speckled etc). It is seen with lupus as well as other markers for the disease. ANA alone is not diagnostic of anything but is combined with other results and special immune tests. (like an ENA profile - extractable nuclear antigens)

Elevated ANA is common in older (+30) women and those suffering from autoimmune disease. My daughter is 14 and has an ANA of 1:640 Lupus and a number of other immune mediated diseases have been ruled out.

It is presumed to be due to celiac +the hypothyroidism that she has...

Wouldnt be too concerned unless you were symptomatic of something.

Sandy

What an excellent post and the information given is spot on! Like your daughter, I have celiac disease and Hashimoto's (from undetected celiac disease) and I recently had my ANA and Rheumatoid Factor come back very high. After discussing this with more than one physician and doing some of my own research, I have learned that these 2 tests are very general tests for inflammation and other autoimmune conditions can trigger a high result also, notably Hashimoto's. That can easily be backed up with a complete thyroid panel, unlike the usual TSH that most doctors perform only.

My thyroid antibody is still in the abnormal zone, after 2 1/2 years gluten-free. I have brought it down by leaps and bounds BUT it has reached a stubborn point and won't go any lower. I am 48 years old and this is where I am beginning to think that for some people, even following a strict gluten-free diet won't make things normal again. Not that I am suffering any because I'm not....I actually am completely asymptomatic of anything right now. My PCP wants me to see a rheumatologist but I think, for now, I will choose not to.

With absolutely no symptoms of either Lupus or RA, I am convinced it's my thyroid that's throwing my numbers off. When you have autoimmune disease, it's very "normal" to have wonky numbers for inflammation. I have also learned that once you present to a doctor with these health issues, they'll keep testing till the cows come home. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! ;)

loraleena Contributor

Any autoimmune disease can cause an elevated ANA. I have it, but my lupus tests were all normal.

loraleena Contributor

I also have celiac, hashimotos, interticial cystitis, and fibromyalgia. All autoimmune!

Rivergirl Apprentice

This is a very helpful post - Thank you. I went 15 years thinking I had Lupus. The diagnosis came because I had so many autoimmunie whacky things going on and a positve ANA (some years high some years low). I kind of felt like I had a death sentence, because with Lupus there is not much you can do. About one year ago, I decided to change doctors. My new doctor questioned my Lupus diagnosis and started the detective work. After about two months of tests, the evidence came in- Celiac. Now after 6 months of being glutenfree= all those other quirky symptoms that were Lupus-like went away. My doctor said Lupus is still possible but highly suspect. We are still watching for Lupus and we will rerun some test this spring and see what happens. But for now I have never felt so good in my entire life.

Archived