This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The View..jenny Mc Carthy Again..autism Connection

Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

DID ANYONE ELSE SEE IT?

lOVED HER 'BUCKET ANALOGY' AS TO WHY WE WITH POOR IMMUNE SYSTEMS CAN'T DEAL.

I FELT THEY DID A WONDERFUL JOB OF KEEPING ON TRACK WITH FACTS ON SUCH A COMPLEX ISSUE.

LOVE TO HEAR OTHERS IDEAS.

MAYBE THE DRS WILL FINALLY SEE HOW THE ---"FOOD- GUT -BRAIN"--- CONNECTION IS SUCH A MISSING PIECE WHEN THEY TRY TO DX US.

JUDY

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I saw it and thought it was excellent. I think Jenny McCarthy is one smart lady.

I did pause when they first mentioned the gluten-free diet--I wondered if anyone would make the connection that Elizabeth eats gluten-free also.

I guess they had so much to cover in a limited amount of time....I thought it was great, though and everyone seemed prety open-minded about it.

I also see Jenny McCarthy on the cover of People this week. Good for her getting the word out for all those moms and families :)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I saw it also and I thought Jenny was simply amazing! She really hit the nail on the head when she said "Anyone that doubts the gut to brain theory, I would like to challenge them to prove it in a bar - just go and have some drinks and tell me what whether or not what goes in your gut doesn't affect your brain"..... AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

I was really disappointed in Elisabeth though - she had the perfect opportunity to kind of validate Jenny's point of view by saying "Hey, I get ya, look what gluten does to me and to all celiacs".... but SHE DIDN'T OPEN HER MOUTH! I was amazed that she missed the chance not only to plug celiac again but to put additional weight behind Jenny's argument that gluten-free/CF works!

Sheesh!

2kids4me Contributor

I

was really disappointed in Elisabeth though - she had the perfect opportunity to kind of validate Jenny's point of view by saying "Hey, I get ya, look what gluten does to me and to all celiacs".... but SHE DIDN'T OPEN HER MOUTH! I was amazed that she missed the chance not only to plug celiac again but to put additional weight behind Jenny's argument that gluten-free/CF works!

We never know what happens in prep for a show..perhaps Elisabeth had discussed it with Jenny and since the interview was about the impact of Gluten-free Casein-free diet on autism - To bring up celiac may have clouded the issue and have viewers thinking autism is really celiac - a leap I know - but I have had that happen with me when trying to explain the impact of gluten-free diet with kathryn - I was asked - so she's celaic not Asperger?? Then I had to try and tell them - she is both..which led ot confused looks.

gluten-free diet works with celiac because it is a medical condition. Gluten-free Casein-free diet works with autism because of the brain/gut connection and a high number of people with autistic spectrum disorders are missing enzymes to digest gluten and casein - but it is not autoimmune. Two separate conditions with similar treatment and should probably be discussed separately if time is limited.

They only have a certain amount of time and Jenny likely wanted the focus to remain on the diet and the huge impact on autistic individuals.

How often does anyone get on the air to talk specifically about celiac and fail to mention its benefit to the autistic ?

Best to stick with one topic - easier to digest :rolleyes: sorry had to insert a little pun

If anyone wants more info about diet and autism google: Gluten-free Casein-free diet and autism

Sandy

tiffjake Enthusiast

I also saw it and I thought it was AMAZING to see these issues and the gluten free diet discussed on the View! Woohoo! Progress! I just bought Jenny's new book to support her....

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I'm glad others saw it also...

She is an 'electric' personality!

Any attention to the gluten free & dairy free diet ( a big plus) will bring it more 'out there in the main stream of conversation.'

Maybe others will finally see that we've been trying to share for so long. Judy

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Anyone wanting hard, cold facts and published medical articles on the subject, go here:

Open Original Shared Link

Oh, I bought the book too! But I haven't read it yet, I brought it over to a teacher who taught the boys last year. Her twin boy has been diagnosed with autism.

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I wish I wasn't at work, but hopefully my future aunt saw it, she has an autistic child.

happygirl Collaborator

Judy, thanks for sharing about the View.

Numerous people have mentioned to me that they heard her talk on Oprah about it (last week?) so its great people are listening.

Nikki'smom Apprentice

I saw it and thought she was great! I was so happy she mentioned the gluten-free diet!

I don't ahve aproblem that Elizabeth didn't mention being gluten-free the interview wasn;'t about her it was about Jenny and her son and autism. I figure if she can help a child with autism that is great. Maybe just maybe some one out there was watching and looks up the gluten-free diet and sees Celiac and realize that could be the cause of some of thier health issues too. Then that means Jenny did a great thing!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
gluten-free diet works with celiac because it is a medical condition. Gluten-free Casein-free diet works with autism because of the brain/gut connection and a high number of people with autistic spectrum disorders are missing enzymes to digest gluten and casein - but it is not autoimmune. Two separate conditions with similar treatment and should probably be discussed separately if time is limited.

I missed the show but I agree that bringing up Celiac might confuse the viewers. Also some parents might get the impression that the diet only benefiets those autistic children who might also have Celiac.

They really are two completely seperate conditions. Its great that Jenny is getting the word out to the parents that the diet can make a huge difference.

I'm half way through her book "Louder Than Words". I've done alot of research on Autism but reading this book is actually giving me an understanding of what its like day to day for Jenny and other parents of autitic children. Its a great book....she writes well...at times it is heartbreaking.

I hope with her story other parents will see that there are options and that there is healing that takes place outside of mainstream medicine...these conventional Dr.'s have nothing to offer in treating Autism.

Cheri A Contributor

I didn't see this show, but I did TIVO Oprah and need to watch it.

It does make me sad, though, because I know a couple of people who have Austistic kids. I've mentioned to them that in my quest to help Carleigh feel better that I've seen a lot on the how much some Autistic kids benefit from the gluten-free/CF diet. I told them that I could help them if they wanted to try it. Neither one took me up on it. They both told me, "No. That's too much work for me." Hello?!?!

jerseyangel Proficient
They both told me, "No. That's too much work for me." Hello?!?!

Yea, that is sad.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Cheri A

your so sweet to care so much

depending on how well you know them...you could pick the one your closest too and get her the book or try to ck it out of the library for one and maybe they will read and 'GET IT'

JUDY

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THIS IS THE WHOLE POST FROM juliem on the 'OMG' THHREAD--------------

I JUST WATCHED 12 MINS AND IT'S SO GOOD

Julie I hope your don't mind me sharing it here

alot of people will be helped. Thanks so much for taking the time to post

Glad to see you around again.

judy

HEY, quick announcent, although nobody seems to be around....

Jenny McCarthy and Holly Robinson peete are on Larry king Live right NOW (10:30 pm mst), although it's pretty much over, I wish I would have caught it earlier. BUT, you can go to the website and get info about what they talked about, LOTS of alternative stuff and a DEMAND for mainstream medical to acknowledge the fact that autism is being diagnosed at an alarming rate, epidemic levels, and vaccines, heavy metals, bacterias, viruses, fungi, yeasts, molds, the typical American diet, etc. all play a role.

Here are the links:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I wish I would have caught it earlier. BUT, you can go to the website and get info about what they talked about, LOTS of alternative stuff and a DEMAND for mainstream medical to acknowledge the fact that autism is being diagnosed at an alarming rate, epidemic levels, and vaccines, heavy metals, bacterias, viruses, fungi, yeasts, molds, the typical American diet, etc. all play a role.

Words cannot even describe how happy I am that this is FINALLY getting out there. :):)

Autism *is* an epidemic and hopefully more and more people will turn their backs on the medical community that continues to do *nothing* to get these kids better. The alternative treatments are working!!

Its not just the kids who are suffering from the issues mentioned.....many of the adults diagnosed with Fibro, CFS, IBS, plus autoimmune diseases across the board....are dealing with these same issues behind their chronic illness.

Western medicine isn't doing anything for Autism and they arent doing anything for the adults who are chronically ill. Its about time that someone is demanding acknowledgement from the medical community and taking it to the media.

Go Jenny! :D

The only way change is going to take place is if people dont continue to settle for the BS that the medical community has been dishing out for so long now.

2kids4me Contributor

It does make me sad, though, because I know a couple of people who have Austistic kids. I've mentioned to them that in my quest to help Carleigh feel better that I've seen a lot on the how much some Autistic kids benefit from the gluten-free/CF diet. I told them that I could help them if they wanted to try it. Neither one took me up on it. They both told me, "No. That's too much work for me." Hello?!?!

Speaking as a mom of an autistic child - the day to day living with it and coping with the interventions and dealing with school, sensory issues...is can be exhausting and the thought of starting someting else may just be mentally overwhelming and they feel they cant handle one more thing. Perhaps get them the book and give them a list of foods readily available - fruit, veges, name brands of gluten free dairy free meats...and leave it with them to look over.

When Kathryn was diagnosed celiac and we HAD to go gluten-free, there was no option - I just did it, and was amazed by the transformation. But this diet is a lot of work initially with the reaserch involved, reading labels, identifying hidden sources...

They may just need more support in trying the Gluten-free Casein-free diet... some parents are more motivated because they have family support. We never know what extended family says or how much or how little support they have with the autism in their lives.

SANDY

jmd3 Contributor

If you want to hear some of the Larry King Show with Jenny McCarthy and others - here is a 9 minute video. There will be a short advertisement, then the video will begin.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I saw Jenny McC. on Oprah. At first I was a little put off by her almost "my son is cured" attitude... but the more she talked the more I was fascinated. The most chilling point for me was when Oprah asked her if she had an idea how her son's autism occurred... to what did she point to as the cause??

She said she was at the doctors when her son was about 2 to have his MMR vaccine and expressed her concern to the doctor, "I've heard this vaccine is the one that might cause autism." The doctor blasted her and said there was no scientific evidence and she had to have her kid vaccinated! She said that she said a prayer and had it done... and then she said a few month laters she WATCHED the life go out of her son's eyes. She said ANY mother would see it in their own kid too!! It gave me goosebumps!!!

She wasn't saying that vaccinations aren't necessary. She just said that the "one size fits all" method of vaccinating is not good. Don't know what the alternative is, but I was mesmerized by what she was saying!

Green12 Enthusiast
THIS IS THE WHOLE POST FROM juliem on the 'OMG' THHREAD--------------

I JUST WATCHED 12 MINS AND IT'S SO GOOD

Julie I hope your don't mind me sharing it here

alot of people will be helped. Thanks so much for taking the time to post

Glad to see you around again.

judy

Thanks Judy for getting these links posted here! I didn't realize there was already a thread started about the Jenny McCarthy/autism issue.

Great post Rachel, very well said! Rings true for me and so many others on this board battling with chronic illnesses that go beyond celiac/gluten intolerance.

She said she was at the doctors when her son was about 2 to have his MMR vaccine and expressed her concern to the doctor, "I've heard this vaccine is the one that might cause autism." The doctor blasted her and said there was no scientific evidence and she had to have her kid vaccinated! She said that she said a prayer and had it done... and then she said a few month laters she WATCHED the life go out of her son's eyes. She said ANY mother would see it in their own kid too!! It gave me goosebumps!!!

Hi luvstoeat, this really stood out for me too.

I was forced to get an MMR vaccination at the age of 18 before they would allow me to attend the college I was accepted to, I guess the MMR I had as a child was before a certain date (or after a certain date, I can't recall exactly what the discrepency with my vaccination records were).

My immune system I believe at that time was already compromised, I had a few issues but other than that I was generally healthy. 2 months later I got extremely sick with what I thought was the flu and things just snowballed from there for me. I developed multiple food, chemical, environmental allergies/sensitivities, I was diagnosed with CFS and FM and other auto-immune conditions, my body was shutting down and my life basically stopped. That was the beginning of my journey on what has been a long, long, long road trying to find answers for health issues that mainstream medical doesn't seem to want to address, let alone acknowledge, or begin to try to find a solution.

I am also thankful that Jenny McCarthy, and other mothers and fathers, who are trying to get this information out there to the public. I hope this gets the ball running, let the discussion begin!!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

She wasn't saying that vaccinations aren't necessary. She just said that the "one size fits all" method of vaccinating is not good. Don't know what the alternative is, but I was mesmerized by what she was saying!

I did some research on the MMR. The reason 2 doses are required is that 5% of the children who receive the first dose do not mount an immune response. I could not find any studies indicating that the second dose is effective for those 5%.

And the 95% who don't even need the second dose are supposedly required to have it because of those 5%.

If anyone is wondering where I found this information, it was on Merck's own website. (Merck produces the MMR.)

I believe the reason that doctors are saying that there is no scientific evidence linking vaccines and autism is that the pharmaceutical industry is covering it all up. We already know that the Denmark study that they keep quoting (that supposedly exonerates vaccines) is flawed--they took the autistic kids OUT of the study, and then said, "See? Vaccines don't cause autism!" :ph34r:

for more info, you can look up www.nvic.org.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

I know what you mean......my daughter does not have an autism diagnosis, but I truly believe it is only b/c she was lucky enough to be diagnosed with Celiac early on. She is still in therapy for speech and language, but she is making fast progress.

In going to her therapies, I've come across families with autistic kids, and the diet has come up a few times. I have heard "it's too hard" or "too expensive", and I just really have to bite my tongue to not say anything else! I have found that some people flat out do NOT want to hear any talk about the diet success, which can be very frustrating!

I LOVED Jenny on Oprah, and I was in tears while watching her. I'm so glad this is finally getting the recognition it deserves, and I hope she gets continued support. I am now a huge fan!!!!

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

THOUGHT THIS WAS A GREAT NEWPAPER COVERAGE.........JUDY

Experts suggest link between autism and diet

Updated Fri. Sep. 28 2007 10:31 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Autism experts descended upon Parliament Hill Thursday, calling for more research to be conducted into the possible link between a specialized diet and the developmental disability.

Many parents have reported anecdotal evidence suggesting that a dairy and gluten-free diet may reduce the symptoms of autism.

Fannie Decaria says at one point her son, Guilio could hardly speak. Then she cut wheat protein and dairy out of his diet and she saw improvement within days.

"I swear, within a week my son started to speak more," she told CTV News.

Actress Jenny McCarthy wrote a book discussing the success she's having in feeding her autistic son a diet free of gluten, wheat and dairy products.

Critics say stories such as McCarthy's amount to nothing more than anecdotal evidence, and aren't backed by any credible scientific evidence. But some experts took their message to Parliament Hill on Thursday, arguing that autism is a public health crisis that deserves more study.

"I think what we are looking at is a transition from a behaviour disorder and brain disorder to a whole body condition," Dr. Martha Herbert of the Harvard Medical School told a press conference.

Herbert and some experts say it's time to conduct scientific research into finding out if there's something more to the anecdotal evidence. They want more money to study the link between processes in the gastro-intestinal system and behaviour.

It's research that Derek McFabe of the University of Western Ontario has already started. He says that his studies of rats suggest that there may be an indirect link between some food and autism.

Officials with Autism Canada say that with an increasing number of children are diagnosed with autism, studying diet and the disease is crucial.

Researchers hope that more research will give parents of autistic children more information to decide if they should switch their child's diet.

McCarthy said she noticed that her son's eye contact and vocabulary noticeably improved within weeks as a result of being on the wheat and gluten-free diet. The children's cartoon "SpongeBob SquarePants" did not usually connect with her son Evan, but when he laughed at something "very abstract and funny" while watching it, McCarthy said she knew it was important.

"That was my big moment ... I call it kind of opening the window and pulling him out of the world of autism," McCarthy told CTV's Canada AM.

With a report from CTV's Genevieve Beauchemin

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I believe the reason that doctors are saying that there is no scientific evidence linking vaccines and autism is that the pharmaceutical industry is covering it all up.

I agree that the vaccines play a role but it would not be difficult for them to rule out vaccinations as a direct cause since there are other triggers...and not every child with Autism has been vaccinated.

Some children are born already showing signs of Autism and some parents who have chosen not to vaccinate their children have not been able to prevent autism from occurring.

I believe the immune system in these children is already compromised and certain triggers (vaccines being one of them) suppresses the immune system even furthur.

McCarthy mentions some of this in her book but does not get into alot of detail about it.

The MMR is the most linked to Autism. These live viruses should be targeted by the immune system under normal circumstances...but in these children (who have compromised immune systems) the immune system fails to fight of these viruses. The measels virus ends up active in the gut and also traveling out of the gut into other areas of the body..inculding the brain.

If all cases of autism could be linked to vaccines it would be less controversial but unfortunately with other triggers out there....they can continue to deny a direct link to the vaccines.

PS

I'm just about done reading Jenny McCarthy's book.....for anyone who's thinking about reading it I give it 5 stars! :)

Cheri A Contributor
Speaking as a mom of an autistic child - the day to day living with it and coping with the interventions and dealing with school, sensory issues...is can be exhausting and the thought of starting someting else may just be mentally overwhelming and they feel they cant handle one more thing. Perhaps get them the book and give them a list of foods readily available - fruit, veges, name brands of gluten free dairy free meats...and leave it with them to look over.

When Kathryn was diagnosed celiac and we HAD to go gluten-free, there was no option - I just did it, and was amazed by the transformation. But this diet is a lot of work initially with the reaserch involved, reading labels, identifying hidden sources...

They may just need more support in trying the Gluten-free Casein-free diet... some parents are more motivated because they have family support. We never know what extended family says or how much or how little support they have with the autism in their lives.

SANDY

Sandy, you make a very valid point about the exhaustion and day to day living that they may feel. I had not thought about it from that point of view. Thanks.

Maybe I should buy them a bag of Tinkyada pasta and some of Carleigh's favorite store bought stuff or a few frozen meals to try.

I guess I was thinking more from my point of view with Carleigh. I had reached the end of my rope. She didn't sleep, she had bleeding eczema, tummy hurts all the time and bowel troubles. I was willing to try ANYTHING to help her.

Archived