This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Type Of Cooler Do You Use?

LRgirl

LRgirl Explorer

Hi,

I'm traveling to California soon. I'll need to bring some food because my diet is so strict. I've been looking at a few coolers, but I'm not sure what brand is the best. Can anyone recommend a cooler that is not too big, can be packed in a suitcase and carried around the park as well?

Thanks so much,

Traci

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I use a cooler that I bought through QVC. It's soft-sided and zips completely around the top and bottom so it can lie flat.

The lining itself freezes, so there's no need for a cold pack and the contents never get wet from using ice. The name is Flexi Freeze and it's item # F10719.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

We use a big Igloo when going far, when it is a short trip I use my insulated cool pack lunch box. Both work well for us. When we travel there is only two of us though, no kids yet. So when our needs change in the future I might have to look into other options.

Guhlia Rising Star

I also use the flexi freeze from QVC. I absolutely love it! I'm on my second one, we're hard on coolers, and I think they're worth every penny! If you use additional ice packs, the cooler stays cold on 100 degree days for hours, even in the sunlight!

jerseyangel Proficient
I also use the flexi freeze from QVC. I absolutely love it! I'm on my second one, we're hard on coolers, and I think they're worth every penny! If you use additional ice packs, the cooler stays cold on 100 degree days for hours, even in the sunlight!

Angie--I love mine!

I took dinners that I had frozen all the way up to Syracuse (a 5 hour drive) in it and everything stayed frozen solid--in July. While there, I just flattened it out and put it in my sister's freezer until I needed it again.

Definately worth the money...

I just love the picture of your two girls :D

Guhlia Rising Star
Angie--I love mine!

I took dinners that I had frozen all the way up to Syracuse (a 5 hour drive) in it and everything stayed frozen solid--in July. While there, I just flattened it out and put it in my sister's freezer until I needed it again.

Definately worth the money...

I just love the picture of your two girls :D

We take ours to the races and it sets out in blazing sunlight during the hottest of the summer months. It always keeps things cold. Granted, we use an additional ice pack on the top to keep things cold, but I've NEVER had a cooler that worked so well. Its also really convenient to store in a chest freezer. Definitely worth the $15. Can you believe that it got bad reviews on the QVC website??? UH!!!

Thanks. I've been trying to keep my avatar updated with new pictures. I have other pictures of the girls posted on Open Original Shared Link .

jerseyangel Proficient
We take ours to the races and it sets out in blazing sunlight during the hottest of the summer months. It always keeps things cold. Granted, we use an additional ice pack on the top to keep things cold, but I've NEVER had a cooler that worked so well. Its also really convenient to store in a chest freezer. Definitely worth the $15. Can you believe that it got bad reviews on the QVC website??? UH!!!

Thanks. I've been trying to keep my avatar updated with new pictures. I have other pictures of the girls posted on Open Original Shared Link .

I was surprised at the negative reviews, too.

Thanks for sharing those pictures--they're just georgeous :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Below is the website for Flexi Freeze:

Open Original Shared Link

LRgirl Explorer

Thank you all so much! The Flex Freeze cooler looks like the one I'll choose.

Guhlia Rising Star

You definitely can't go wrong with the Flexi Freeze. Mine last me two whole years with HEAVY abusive use two to three times a week every single week. If you're using it in direct sunlight you will want to put an ice pack on top of the food.

rbh Apprentice

Just to warn you -- airport security made us throw out our ice pack today, so if you are flying, you may need to pick one up at your destination (or maybe not -- when we flew out, airport security didn't question the ice pack, just coming home.) Another item I have found very handy for traveling are the long round plastic tubes for crackers -- it takes up less room than the box itself, and prevents crackers from getting crushed.

Archived