46 replies to this topic

#1 Janeti

Janeti

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

OK, who put the gluten in the peanut butter cup?? I had 2 of the small cups yesterday, and had stomach pains through the day and night. I called Hersheys today, and they said they could not guarantee that is it gluten-free. But my stomach knows :angry: Anyone else have a reaction to the peanut butter cups? Janet

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gdobson

gdobson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

OK, who put the gluten in the peanut butter cup?? I had 2 of the small cups yesterday, and had stomach pains through the day and night. I called Hersheys today, and they said they could not guarantee that is it gluten-free. But my stomach knows :angry: Anyone else have a reaction to the peanut butter cups? Janet

I am afraid of peanutbutter cups. When I called about them originally (which was quite some time ago) the csr told me that it depended on the size of the peanutbutter cup - :blink:
Gina
gluten-free since 2001
Son dx celiac March 2005

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

Some of the mini's are thought NOT to be gluten free, but the larger versions ARE considered gluten free.

I have no factual basis for this, but it comes up every year about this time.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:24 AM

One could always do what my former co-worker did(non-celiac), buy a good chocolate bar and dip it right into the container of P.B.!
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#5 mommyagain

mommyagain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:46 AM

One could always do what my former co-worker did(non-celiac), buy a good chocolate bar and dip it right into the container of P.B.!

Oh yeah... before celiac I used to dip chocolate covered pretzels in the peanut butter! YUMMMMMMY!

#6 sansglutengrl

sansglutengrl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:06 AM

I'm sorry that you got sick Janeti, BUT:
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are ABSOLUTELY gluten free.
I literally eat these by the pound - and am very sensitive - I have never had a problem.
Some of the holiday Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - the ones that are shaped differently, have wheat in them - but Hershey's will never hide gluten, so you just have to be careful. Here's a link to a discussion on the board about that: http://www.glutenfre...php/t12401.html

#7 confused

confused

Just cause i cant have gluten doesnt mean im dying

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

Do you have any other problems with dairy. I cant eat recees cause in casein intolerant, but i sure miss them, they were my fav candy bar for years

paula

gluten, casein and soy free
on low carb/low sugar diet

#8 hollyres

hollyres

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

Do you have any other problems with dairy. I cant eat recees cause in casein intolerant, but i sure miss them, they were my fav candy bar for years

paula

If you can have dark chocolate chips, you might be able to make quick fudge. I take chocolate chips, microwave them (just a handful), stir once melted, quickly add peanut butter (and butter/sour cream if okay), powdered sugar, roll into little balls, refrigerate, and eat - easy and yummy!
Holly Joy

Neg blood test 2006
Life changed on diet - decided against biopsy

allergic to nuts and the environment (including all mold)
asthma, eczema, hypothyroid, celiac

#9 Kaycee

Kaycee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:09 PM

Before I go any further, Janeti, you wouldn't have anyproblems with peanuts would you? Just a thought.

But what wonderful ideas. I'm tempted to give them a go. I had been wondering what peanut butter cups were and now I sort of know. Peanuts and chocolate, lovely. My favourite would be peanut slabs. A concoction of peanuts in chocolate, in a big solid heafty bar. Yummy.

Cathy

#10 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

I made homemade peanut butter fudge the other day....yum!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#11 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

Oh yeah... before celiac I used to dip chocolate covered pretzels in the peanut butter! YUMMMMMMY!

I dip Glutino Stick Pretzels into peanut butter! Heavenly!
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#12 Janeti

Janeti

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

I have called Hersheys several times in the past, and asked them about different kinds of the kisses. They gave me a direct anwer of "no", they are gluten-free. I thought that I remembered seeing somewhere that the peanut butter cups were gluten-free. But today when I called and asked them about the mini peanut butter cups, they said they could not say that they were gluten-free. This makes me crazy. It's not worth having that nausea and hanging out in the bathroom for most of the night over a half of mouthful of a little chocoalte with peanut butter. I still say that if something has gluten.....it should say it. Janet

#13 ab123

ab123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:06 PM

When I was little I used to make peanut butter cups with my grandma. We would just get cupcake pans and put the little cupcake tins in it. Then my grandma would melt chocolate on the stove and spoon in some chocolate. She would let that sit and get kind of hard and then put peanut butter on top. Then she would spoon another layer of chocolate on top and then put the whole thing in the fridge to cool. It was just like a reeses (expecially since you use the cupcake tins...they make the ridges on the side), but tasted so much better with creamy peanut butter in it instead of the dry stuff in reeses.

It is really easy to do and would def. be gluten free!!

#14 silly celiac

silly celiac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:06 AM

When I was little I used to make peanut butter cups with my grandma. We would just get cupcake pans and put the little cupcake tins in it. Then my grandma would melt chocolate on the stove and spoon in some chocolate. She would let that sit and get kind of hard and then put peanut butter on top. Then she would spoon another layer of chocolate on top and then put the whole thing in the fridge to cool. It was just like a reeses (expecially since you use the cupcake tins...they make the ridges on the side), but tasted so much better with creamy peanut butter in it instead of the dry stuff in reeses.

It is really easy to do and would def. be gluten free!!

I've been making candies for years at the holidays using different molds or cups (a la reeses cups) and always do a homemade Reese's cup. I even have a mold that's the same size. This year will be my first holiday season gluten-free, so I may need to tweak the recipes a bit, but for my peanut butter, I would mix melted butter and powdered sugar with the peanut butter for the filling. YUM-MY!!!

#15 Motorboater

Motorboater

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:24 AM

Hello, I also posted a question on here the other day because I ate a Reese's Peanut Butter "pumpkin" cup and had ill reactions, I called Hershey's and they counld not tell me that any of the peanut butter cups were gluten free. I also read that they may use wheat when rolling out the ingredients but I don't know for sure. I actually bought some hershey bars and a new jar of peanut butter and will make my own so no more ill feelings occur. Good luck! Pam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: