#16 dmchr4

dmchr4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:56 PM

celiac3270,
I was reading your homeopathic remedies topic because the dr. I took my daughter too recommended a homeopathic remedy for her to help stop the diarrhea. I forgot what it's called though. I have no idea if it's doing any good, but then again, I have a hard time getting her to take it three times a day (mainly because I forget!) After 2 weeks on the gluten-free diet she has significantly improved but she does still have some if her symptoms - including the diarrhea. Anyway, I figured it's worth a shot!

But the real reason I'm posting is that I saw in your signature you say you are taking Prilosec daily. Have you considered that might be part of your problem? Side effects of Prilosec (generic name is omeprazole) can be:

If you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives), stop taking omeprazole and seek emergency medical attention.
  Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take omeprazole and talk to your doctor if you experience
      drowsiness, dizziness, or headache;
      diarrhea, increased gas, or bloating; or
      itching.
  Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

I found the "diarrhea, increased gas or bloating" part interesting and the "side effects other than those listed here may also occur" as a vague catch-all.

I'm not a doctor or anything like that, I just always read the side effect warnings before giving any drugs to my family since we have a high tendency to react to drugs and I want to know before-hand what I'm getting into!

Good luck with all your remedies!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 12:02 PM

Hi celiac3270,

i learnt medicine for quite a while to be a healer (in germany that's a real profession, but it's not a doctor, it's more with homeopathy and such things) and also about homeopathy. Well, one remedy can be made of different things. A bug, a plant, a snake, a spider or so. If you get stung by a spider or bit by a snake, you get symptoms, which can be severe or slight, like headache, vomiting and such things. Now, in homeopathy the doc tries to find out, what your main symptoms are and then you get the one remedy, that would (in nature) cause exactly these symptoms. If it's the right remedy and you take it, then at the beginning it could make your symptoms first go worse, but then they'll get better. If this happens, you have the right remedy. If a healthy person takes the remedy, NOTHING happens, because your remedy is so much thinned down, that it actually can't cause any symptoms in a healthy person. What your doc meant, was, that if the substances, that are in this medicine would happen to a healthy person for real (a snake bite for example), then this healthy person would get exactly your symptoms. I hope i could explain it in an understandable way with my broken english...lol.

Greetings, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#18 girlygirl

girlygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:04 PM

Has anyone asked a homeopathic doctor about celiac? Are there any homeopathic remedies for this disease--not a cure, of course, but something that would ease the symptoms (abdominal pains, gas, bloating, vomiting, etc.) while my system is mending? Thanks

-celiac3270

Hi!

I am so interested in nutrition since finding out I had hypothyroidism (which I diagnosed and my dr. finally confirmed). I also diagnosed my celiac disease, my DH rash totally disappeared after I tried a gluten free diet. And I must say I feel great!!! I am currently studying holistic nutrition, I see a holistic nutritionist to double check what I am doing (so far so good!)

Glutamine is an amino acid that will aid in healing your villi. Taking Vitamin B supplements are suggested as well. Calcium supplements with magnesium are also very important. Many celiacs are vitamin d deficient so it would be a good idea to have these levels tested. Cod liver oil is a great source of vitamin d. It would be very beneficial to take probotics 3 times a day. Eating plain or Vanilla yogurt daily is also a must (Stonyfield Farm is one of the best). Make sure that you are rotating your foods and not eating the same foods over and over as that can cause food allergies also. Of course a good multi vitamin is essential.

Keep in mind that when starting supplementation that you do it slowly, don't go crazy and start everything at once.

Good Luck!

#19 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the advice :D.....actually, I just went back to Dr. Aurigemma today...and got a different remedy to try. I found it interesting to read about not to eat foods over and over--unfortunately, I do that far too much :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: