9 replies to this topic

#1 Indian Kids

Indian Kids

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi we're teenagers from India, our mum is Australian which is where we found out about Coeliac in June. She thought we had it for a long time but luckily we managed to eat lots of wheat until then. But now we are in north India where people eat chapatis and samosas and other delicious wheat based foods. Any other Indians out there with suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Daughter_of_TheLight

Daughter_of_TheLight

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

I'm not from India, but I can give you some basic tips!
Use Google. It is your best friend.
Be grateful for rice and curry. And I totally understand. At my friend's quince practice they had guava pastries! You've got to ignore it. It's hard, but you guys'll get through it. :)
I live behind an eternal mask
Glued there, to my face,
All it shows is happiness,
All it shows is fake.
-Light

Please leave your sanity in the sanity box by the door. There is no sanity allowed in this room...

THE CAREBEARS WILL JOIN WITH THE BOOHBAHS AND TELETUBBIES AND TAKE OVER THE UNIVERSE WITH MACHINE GUNS AND BRAINWASHED CHILDREN!!!!!! DUCK AND COVER!!!!

If you believe that the media is trying to brainwash our children with pointless television copy and paste this into your siggy with your name attatched. : Daughter_of_TheLight

#3 Arpita

Arpita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

You can get jawar flour (which is same as U.S. sorghum) and make puri with it (that is the same as a chapati in oil). It taste best if it is mixed with mashed potato when prepared. It is a common food among the poor of India. You can eat rice and lentil soup. You can eat a fried food called pakora that is made with bean flour. You can eat dolsas and other rice based fried foods from South India. Watch out for the yogurt in everything if you are in North India. Hope that helps.

#4 MJS

MJS

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:06 AM

My mom is Indian and we go visit every couple of years.
I've met other celiacs, but never other Indian ones! well, I'm 1/2 Indian, but still.

I've gone to India once since I was diagnosed. Basically I avoided most types of bread. But some North Indians use bajra (I'm not sure what that is in English, or if I spelled it right. It's a flour that a lot of poor people in India use, so my nani thought it was funny that I was eating it). Or I've also had chapatis made of corn (I think that's a Panjabi thing). Both of those taste pretty good, but the textures aren't the best. Dosas are gluten free too, if I'm not mistaken.

Last time I went to visit, my aunt searched everywhere in Delhi for gluten free foods, but pretty much found nothing. Luckily you can eat dhal and rice and vegetables. I would also check online. If the shipping prices aren't too bad, you can get virtually anything mailed straight to you door.

Hope this helps!
Maya - diagnosed June 2006

#5 Eesha

Eesha

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:51 PM

hi! i'm indian & celiac, but i live in new york. my mom and i were diagnosed about five years ago and since then we've been trying to develop gluten free alternatives to indian food (roti, paratha, chapati, etc.). we've come up with some pretty good recipes and our puri recipe is awesome. we eat bhakri as well and we've come up with a pretty good recipe for them. (i don't know what bhakri's are in hindi because i speak gujurati, but hopefully you know what i'm talking about!). the roti's are alright, my mom loves them but i think they still need some tweaking...

we tend to use a lot of juwar and tapioca flours. i know that the roti's have juwar in them and i'm not too fond of the taste so that's why i don't like them.

if you want the recipe's, email me at moonstruck_eyes@yahoo.com and i'll send them to you.
hope this helps!

#6 mdmm

mdmm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

wrong frum section

#7 Deepa Bhale Rao

Deepa Bhale Rao

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:59 AM

Hi we're teenagers from India, our mum is Australian which is where we found out about Coeliac in June. She thought we had it for a long time but luckily we managed to eat lots of wheat until then. But now we are in north India where people eat chapatis and samosas and other delicious wheat based foods. Any other Indians out there with suggestions?

Hi, We're from India and we are gluten intolerant too,and so are our children.
But we live in South India and and since most south Indian food is rice based it's easier to have gluten-free food.Check out south Indian recipes on the net.
You can also use bajra flour,jowar flour,buckwheat flour(known as koottu ka atta in the north) and Amaranth flour(Fabindia sells it).You can blend the buckwheat and amaranth flour with some rice flour as buckwheat by itself is pretty strong flavor.
We get a lot of 'delicious wheat based food ' here too,but we have learned to resist it and now we hardly miss wheat based food,as we have learned to make very good cakes,cookies,tarts,pancakes,waffles etc with rice flour,even Bread.Try savorypalate.com for these recipes,or just substitute rice flour where wheat is needed.Just experiment. ;)
Since your mother is Australian you could probably get excellent rice based pasta,in Australia from companies such as Orgran and others.Locally you could get Thai rice noodles glass noodles,and Japanese buckwheat noodles(called Soba noodles) from shops that sell imported food.
You can also try Sunirafoods.com,I came across them on the net yesterday.They say they sell gluten-free flours and mixes for cakes,cookies,glutenfree atta etc.
So hang in there and eventually you will get used to living without wheat based foods.It's so, much healthier,at least we think so. :)

#8 TawnyaK

TawnyaK

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

There is a Celiac society in Delhi - http://www.celiacsocietyindia.com/

#9 manpriya

manpriya

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:47 AM

hey! I am a celiac living in Delhi..........For celiacs...it can get really tough as North delhi is a purely wheat based .....But for gluten free food in Delhi, u can try Whole foods in New friends colony..which sells tasty bread , biscuits, etc.

#10 celiac indian

celiac indian

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Hey I am celiac living in delhi, Delhi has matured a lot in terms of availability of gluten free food. Delhi has India's first gluten free cafe "Cafe amaltas" and also have lot of online websites like "foodsbury" and "healthkart" which cater to gluten free diet requirements. They have entire range of gluten free products imported and domestic which can be delivered to doorsteps.
Happy to help;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: