This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bloody Stools?

jeggen

jeggen Newbie

I have had, on a couple of occasions, bloody stools and it seems to be correlated with eating gluten. I am planning on calling my GI doc on Monday... but I am wondering if this can be associated with Celiac at all? Anyone else had this experience? (I am NOT looking for medical advice... just wondering what kind of experiences people have had.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

peter99ff Rookie

Yep. enough said? I'm to embarassed to talk about it so I'm glad you brought it up. Before I went on the gluten-free diet I was back in the Coast Guard up in Phiadelphia when it was the worst as I was living in a motel, but your not alone. Again that was before I started my diet so I was drinking soda beer etc.. and eating everything so I cant exactly point to a direction to what led to that.

Hope that helps.

HouseKat Apprentice
I have had, on a couple of occasions, bloody stools and it seems to be correlated with eating gluten. I am planning on calling my GI doc on Monday... but I am wondering if this can be associated with Celiac at all? Anyone else had this experience? (I am NOT looking for medical advice... just wondering what kind of experiences people have had.)

About six weeks ago, my husband took me to the ER because I was bleeding profusely whenever I had a BM. The ER doc confirmed the presence of blood in my stool, and sent me over to see a GI doc who had done a colonoscopy on me a couple weeks before. He told me that I had a large hemorrhoid that was bleeding and sent me home. He was very dismissive of the whole thing and acted like I just wanted attention or something. (For the 20+ years I've had these GI problems, doctors always asked if I had blood in my stool, so when it finally happened I sought medical attention - is that so wrong?) I was supposed to have another appointment with the GI doc, but cancelled it because I don't like his attitude.

Is the blood really bright red and fresh, or dark colored? That will give an indication of how high or low in your digestive track the source is.

Kate

jeggen Newbie

It is hard for me to tell since I am red/green color blind but it appears to me to be bright red (otherwise I probably wouldn't even notice.) There may be darker red in the stool too... but what I notice is the bright red.

She is very concerned about it, but I am only 30... otherwise healthy... no pain, no fever, cramping etc. It seems like if I eat something that someone has promised me is gluten free (a hospital cafeteria) but seems very likely is not actually gluten free (since I feel sick shortly after eating it) than this happens a day or so later. I can't be sure, but I know that my GI doctor understands what Celiac is and was able to diagnose me quickly but himself admits that Celiacs tend to know more about it than he does. That is why I am turning here to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

I am new at this and still learning all of the ropes about what kind of precautions to use... and most of my learning has been through mistakes!

Guest j_mommy

Hemmroids would be my first thought...I've had them and they were worse before I went gluten-free. Polyps can also bleed liek that!

peter99ff Rookie
It is hard for me to tell since I am red/green color blind but it appears to me to be bright red (otherwise I probably wouldn't even notice.) There may be darker red in the stool too... but what I notice is the bright red.

She is very concerned about it, but I am only 30... otherwise healthy... no pain, no fever, cramping etc. It seems like if I eat something that someone has promised me is gluten free (a hospital cafeteria) but seems very likely is not actually gluten free (since I feel sick shortly after eating it) than this happens a day or so later. I can't be sure, but I know that my GI doctor understands what Celiac is and was able to diagnose me quickly but himself admits that Celiacs tend to know more about it than he does. That is why I am turning here to see if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

I am new at this and still learning all of the ropes about what kind of precautions to use... and most of my learning has been through mistakes!

Thats about the same path I took until the more physical symptoms set in, the kidney pains, migraines, flu where you sleep for three days, and a host of others. Again that was about 4 years ago in 2003, i got out of the military in 2001 because i knew something was wrong with me and no one could justify my problems prior to that. Thats the only reason i stressed about staying clear now from gluten in my email as I felt then I could not devote 100% of myself to what I enjoyed doing, saving helping and educating others as far as the Coast Gurd life was.

Archived