12 replies to this topic

#1 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:26 AM

I've seen other people mention that there menstrual cycle changed when they were struck with Celiac Disease or as part of their symptoms.

Along wth the onset of these odd digestive symptoms, mine has also changed.

I'm curious, what have doctors told you about this connection? Is it simply that your body is so thrown off by this disease that it effects EVERYTHING? My doctors didn't seem to care or have much concern that my cycle has altered along with this.
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Nadtorious

Nadtorious

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:19 AM

My period disappeared for almost 4 years while I was really sick, and came back as soon as I went gluten free (within a week!). My doctor actually used this to diagnose me first (before blood tests, endoscopy, and diet challenge). Now that I've been gluten free for close to 2 years, my period has finally kind of normalized-I can somewhat predict it and my cramps aren't as bad as they were pre-celiac days.
Nadia :)
Eat, drink, and be merry!

#3 Racheleona

Racheleona

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:51 AM

Hi dbuhl79,
Being that I haven't had my period for almost 2 years now (which happened after I lost 30 pounds in 2 months, and had at first started losing weight intentionally due to only eating 500 cals/day, and then continued to lose without trying). After doing labs my doctor said that my hormones are now out of wack and are very low. This could be due to my dramatic weight loss, or due to malnutrition. I have been gluten-free for 2 months now, and still no period though.

Rachel

#4 LynnR

LynnR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:53 AM

My periods has always been very irregular. I also have Endometrosis. So when they completely stopped, I wasn't too concerned at first. I just thought it was due to Hormonal Imbalance.

When I went to see a new doctor this week, one of his questions was if I was getting my period. At the same time he was checking me for Anemia. He told me that when someone is really Anemic their periods will stop also because you don't have enough iron in your system to produce them.
~Lynn
Negative Biopsy 11/00
Blood Work 11/16/04 - Still Waiting for Results
gluten-free since 11/10/04

#5 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:58 AM

Hi, Ladies!!

Before I went on the gluten-free diet, my periods were irregular, even in high school. After a month on the diet, I was consistent (this was before I started taking birth control pills).

--Stay healthy!!

ps. Lynn, how long have you been gluten-free?

#6 LynnR

LynnR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:15 AM

Jill,

I haven't been gluten-free for too long. Only about 2 weeks.
~Lynn
Negative Biopsy 11/00
Blood Work 11/16/04 - Still Waiting for Results
gluten-free since 11/10/04

#7 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:16 AM

Hi there,

before i went glutenfree i had really painful periods. Sometimes i couldn't do anything but lay in bed. And they were irregular too, but only sometimes. I'm glutenfree since July this year now and as soon as i started the next period in August was so nice. Oh, it was like heaven. No pain at all. I almost didn't even recognize it already started. The only thing that bugs me a little, is, that it's a little bit late each month. But at least it's late regualar now pretty much. Always around day 33 or 34.

Lots of greetings, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#8 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 09:17 AM

Oh and i forgot to tell. All periods since then were without pain at all.

Lots of greetings, Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#9 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2004 - 06:22 PM

Lynn--

Ok. ;) Maybe in a couple of weeks, or whenever you normally start, you may notice a difference. I'm not an expert, I just speak from personal experience.

Keep everyone updated on your progress--this disease can be tough at times, but I know you'll make it!!! This board is extremely supportive :D

Sincerely,

#10 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:40 AM

Thanks ladies! Ever since my symptoms have arose, I've noticed a change in cycle. Its a relief to discover others have too. Particularly since my doctors could care less! :)
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

#11 Guest_Lindam_*

Guest_Lindam_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2004 - 10:10 AM

:( Ever since I was diagnosed, my periods have been very weird. They were always 2-3 days tops, and some discomfort, but nothing Tylenol wouldn't handle. Now they can last up to 10 days, the cramping starts at least a week before it starts, all the PMS symptoms are there also for a week prior. My gyne is concerned that everything is changing. It has something to do with celiac disease being an autoimmune disease and our periods throw everything off. I would suggest talking to your gyne about it.

Good Luck!

Linda

#12 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 02:04 PM

<_< now when i think back--i am wondering if celiacs had anything to do with my cycles---i was quite regular, but had very heavy periods--i was afraid to leave home the 1st 3 days----but, as is true of many celiac women, i went through menopause early--i am 49 now and havent had a cycle now for 3 years and that's ok :P --my were bad enough--i deserve a break :D deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#13 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:39 PM

As I look back I can't help but wonder if the celiac was causing a lot of gynecological problems. I was always very irregular, couldn't get pregnant and took fertility drugs for over two years in order to get pregnant with my first two children. My periods were also very irregular and heavy and I had awful cramps since I was a teenager. It does make me wonder.........

By the way does anybody know how to spell check before I post??
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: