This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thankgiving

Darla

Darla Newbie

Hi everyone, my grandson was diagnosed w/celiac when he was 2. He almost died and only by my daughter-in-law was he diagnosed. She spent many hours on the internet cause the drs. said there was nothing wrong w/him. I guess thats there answer for I DON'T KNOW. Anyway, thanksgiving is at my house this year and I am wondering if anyone can give me a recipe for gravy that he can eat. I am using his butter and everyone else will be to but I don't want to leave him out of anything. Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. God bless :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kabowman Explorer

Arrowroot flour should work for giblet gravy.

-Kate

tarnalberry Community Regular

You can use a lot of different things for making gravy - arrowroot, corstarch, rice flour... I wouldn't go with potato flour, but many of the other ones work just fine.

gZimmiZ Rookie

Darla,

Last week I tried Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour to make

gravy for Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy. (I know it isn't the healthest meal, but sometimes...........) I coated the meat with the mix and fried it. For the gravy I used the pan juices, Bob's mix and milk to stir up gravy. It turned really good. Corn Starch mixed in cold water first would make gravy too. I found recipes for Chicken Pot Pie and many other gluten free recipes on the Bob's Red Mill Website. Good Luck! PZ

gZimmiZ Rookie

Darla,

Last week I tried Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour to make

gravy for Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy. (I know it isn't the healthest meal, but sometimes...........) I coated the meat with the mix and fried it. For the gravy I used the pan juices, Bob's mix and milk to stir up gravy. It turned really good. Corn Starch mixed in cold water first would make gravy too. I found recipes for Chicken Pot Pie and many other gluten free recipes on the Bob's Red Mill Website. Good Luck! PZ

traci Apprentice

You know I was wondering about that flour for fried chicken, gonna try it now.

Ok heres that pecan pie recipe again.. after all what is Thanksgiving without pecan pie, nothing at my house.

3 Cups Pecan pieces

1/4 C sugar

1/4 cup butter or margerine, melted

1 bag of caramels

2/3 C whipping cream

1 pkg of semi sweet baking chocolate

1/4 c powdered sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

Of course it goes without saying gluten-free stuff on all this

Preheat oven to 350 Place 2 cups of pecans in food processor (you could just beat them up with a rolling pin in a zip bag if no food processor) Process or beat till finely ground. Mix with granulated sugar and butter. Press firmly into pie plate on bottom and up the sides. Bake 12-15 mins till lightly browned. Cool completely, if the crust puffs up, gently press it flat with spoon.

Microwave caramels and 1/3 cup of whipping cream in bowl, on high for 2 1/2 to 3 mins, or until caramel is totally melted but make sure you stir after each minute in nuker. Pour into cooled crust. Chop (rough chop, dont beat these up to dust) the rest of pecans, sprinkle on caramel. Let this cool for at least 10 mins till caramel starts to set up.

Place chocolate, remaining 1/3 cup whipping cream, powdered sugar in saucepan, cook over low heat until melted (you could use double boiler here less chance of scorching) stir constantly. When melted, add vanilla, stir into chocolate, pour over cooled caramel, spread it around, refridge at least 2 hours. Store any leftovers (yeah right) in the fridge.

I make easy gravy, when I dont wanna mess with meat drippings by using gluten free broth, for thanksgiving would use chicken, put however much you want in saucepan, along with bay leaf, 1/4 tsp of garlic powdered if you must, I use fresh. For thanksgiving I am also going to add just a smidge of dried sage, like a pinch. Let it simmer gently for 5- 10 mins then turn heat off and let sit until fairly cool, take out the bay leaf, make a corn starch slurry, cornstarch first then cold water, make it pretty thick, stir it into the cooled broth, put back on heat, bring to boil, stir stir stir VOILA gravy. If you want it really pretty, add 1 tsp of dried parsley. If you let the broth cool a bit then add your cornstarch and bring back to boil stirring the whole time, you wont have those nasty lumps. Also for a richer gravy, more like you would get if you did use meat drippings, add 1 tsp butter for every 12 oz gravy, when you have it thickened and turn the heat off, just stir the butter in, its shiny and the mouth feel is more like the real thing.. yummy.

Anyone ever try dressing, stuffing with gluten-free bread? Does it work?

dkmb Newbie

If you make cornbread and use gluten-free flour for the regular it comes out very good. My husband likes it better than "real people" flour. (that is him keeping humor in our lives). If you cut the baked cornbread into small squares and even use the crumbs, bake it in a 425 degree oven until toasted, just like the mixes in the store, it will come out great. You can add just about anything else to the mix that you like in your stuffing. No one complains when it is the only stuffing on the table.

DK

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Boojca Apprentice

We have always only used cornstarch as the thickener for gravy. The first time I saw someone using flour I was stunned. And this was pre-celiac disease!!! So, just make it the way you normally would but use cornstarch instead. We always put the cornstarch in some cold water first to prevent clumping, mix it up and THEN put it in the hot broth.

traci Apprentice

Thank you dkmb, I am going to try it.

I have always used mostly cornstarch to thicken a lot of things.. used roux a few times, flour and fat. I find its easier to work with you if put cornstarch in cup, then add cold water and stir it into something that is NOT boiling.. no lumps then. :D

Archived