40 replies to this topic

#1 enigma

enigma

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:24 PM

A few months ago I started a low-carb hi-protein diet to try and lose 20 lbs. I've lost over 20 pounds and gained so much more! I can't believe how easy it is for a celiac to follow a low-carb diet. The recipes don't use wheat flour or hardly anything else that has gluten and the food tastes good, too. But what has surprised me is how much better I feel in every way. I sleep so much better (haven't had to use my Ambien hardly at all), my rosacea (puffy redness on my face) is much better, I haven't had any of the burning itchy patches this winter at all (DH?), and I have so much more energy. I can't imagine ever going back to eating the gluten-free starchy hi-carb foods I had been eating. No way! This way of eating has made coping with celiac disease (which I've had for 12 years) SO much better. Has anyone else had these dramatic results following such a diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wolos

wolos

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 07:17 PM

Hello,
My daughter has diabetes (insulin dependent type 1) and celiac and doesn't eat meat. What are you generally eating?

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 07:41 PM

Hi Enigma,

I did try the high protein, low carb diet a few times, each time losing about 30 lbs. in two months. but at the time I did not know I had celiac disease, and I did have a hard time digesting the high amount of protein. I know that I did consume gluten in some foods during that time, so I know why I would have some of the symptoms remain. I now know that the reason I would feel bad after two months on the low carb diet was because my intestines were too stressed out and overworked. Once I get set in the gluten-free lifestyle, if I am not losing enough weight (since I am 60lbs overweight) then I might try low carb gluten-free. I did feel a bit better while low carb (for a while), and when gluten-free I can tell when I had too many carbs. I think everyone needs to find a balance that works for them. Another good diet to look into that is easily adaptable to the gluten-free lifestyle is Eat Right 4 Your Type. It also has some really good info to offer. Good luck with the weight loss.
God bless.
Mariann :)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#4 wclemens

wclemens

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:21 PM

Enigma, I have, I have! (Tried a low carb, high protein diet as a way of life.) All my life I was battling my weight, being barely five feet tall and small boned. First I found the Atkins diet during the 1970s but I would lose 20 pounds, then couldn't stay on the diet and would put the weight back on.

Halleleujah, in 1996 or so I found The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, devised by Drs. Richard and Rachel Heller. It is basically the Atkins Diet with a one hour "reward meal" each day of any foods or drinks you can tolerate. I'm now 107 pounds and staying that way.

Mariann, I also follow the Eat Right for Your Blood Type diet, and being O negative, our gluten free diet goes right along with it. I am also allergic to all milk, dairy, egg whites and yeast, so I stay away from those too.

Wolo, I have gone vegetarian, or rather vegan two times, and just came back to eating meat again a few months ago, because I was losing weight too fast and seemed to be getting weak. When on that diet I ate low carb vegetables any time I wanted, with fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. during my one hour reward meal. I was always eating tostadas with refried beans for dinner, rice, sweet potatoes, etc.

It is so good to be able to read all your responses to how you are feeling and the various diets that are working for each of you. Best wishes to all. Welda

#5 enigma

enigma

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 January 2004 - 08:07 AM

Wolos, concerning your daughter with diabetes: I really wish you would pick up a copy of Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution because he talks about the diabetes epidemic in this country and explains how he believes it is a direct result of over carbo-loading in the American diet. The book has accounts of his patients who were "cured" of diabetes following his advice. Although it might be more difficult to follow the diet while not eating meat, it can be done. The book has a recipe section for vegetarians. I eat a variety of things but I do eat a lot of eggs, cheese and meat (and I LOVE it!) and lots of low-carb vegetables. As soon as I leave this site I'm going to make a cheese, sweet onion and bacon omelette! I'm still amazed that I can eat this well, lose weight, stay gluten-free and feel this great. Lots of luck to you with your daughter, and to everyone else trying to get healthy and/or lose weight.

#6 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2004 - 05:38 PM

Hey guys,

Can someone post a list of which veggies are low carb? I know that I am a carb addict, so I can try...but I would have to ease into it, I am an addict after all! :D

Lisa

#7 wclemens

wclemens

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 12:50 AM

Low carb vegetables include green beans, cauliflower, lettuce, radishes, green onions, olives (really a fruit), celery, alfalfa sprouts, bamboo shoots, Brussels sprouts, okra, cabbage, cucumbers, all greens, green peppers, asparagus, endive, kale, kohlrabi, mushrooms parsley, spinach, wax beans, arugula, snap beans, 1/4 tomato, onions as seasoning only, dill pickles, garlic, horseradish.

These are from the list in The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, by Drs. Richard and Rachel Heller, both from families with a history of Diabetes, both wishing to lose weight and maintain a diet conducive to avoiding Diabetes. Welda

#8 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Welda!

I just want to say that I really appreciate you on these boards (new and old, I had just joined the old board Lisa@amt was my reg. over there). You are so quick to help others and make sure to patiently inform new ones. Thank you! :wub:

Lisa

#9 enigma

enigma

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:43 PM

LisaB,
Allow me to add a few vegetables to Welda's list (I know these work because I just lost lots of weight while eating them!): yellow squash (which I lightly battered in cornmeal and fried - heavenly!), zucchini (also fried - remember oil has no carbohydrates!), green beans (French or Italian or fresh - the fresh ones are delicious roasted), and I use sweet onion in lots of dishes, just kept to a minimum, and also after I really began losing the weight I had no trouble adding in a few more carbs daily so I began eating fresh new or red potatoes (they have the lowest carbs of the potatoes) and I was still able to keep losing weight! :D It was amazing to me how well I could eat and still lose weight. I am within 5 lbs. of my goal and see no problem in maintaining. And the difference in how much better I feel since giving up sugar and all those carbs is unbelievable! If you decide to try it I hope it works as well for you.

#10 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:52 PM

Thank you enigma!

How much weight did you lose and in what time frame. After being maybe too thin until I was 30 or so (sick the whole time, but I could eat everything in sight and not gain a pound) I put on 40 lbs in 3 years. Now that I am gluten-free and dairy is limited, I lost 15 lbs and a lot of swelling has gone down in my limbs especially, but I am still 25-30 lbs overweight and the weight loss seems to have come to a halt sooooo....

Thanks for the tips,

Lisa

#11 wclemens

wclemens

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:48 PM

LisaB,
Thank you!
Welda

#12 enigma

enigma

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 01:56 PM

LisaB,
I began a low carb diet about the middle of August and by Thanksgiving I had lost a little over 20 lbs. That's a little slower than I had hoped to lose it but I have had no trouble keeping it off even with eating more during the holidays. So I am very happy with the results and especially with how I feel! I plan to get back to the low carb routine (under 50 a day) to lose my last 5-7 lbs. At first I only allowed myself 20-25 carbs a day and then once I really began losing I increased it a little. It honestly hasn't been that hard and I had tried other diets that were hard to stay on and I couldn't lose the weight. Good luck to you if you decide to try it and please let me know how you're doing!

#13 judy04

judy04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I just heard on CNN last night that people on lo carb diets are
angry because drug companies don't label the Rx bottles about
how many carbs are used as fillers!!oooooooohh, if they only
knew!
judy

gluten-free since 11/03, neg biopsy, IGA elevated

#14 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 09:17 AM

Carb counter

http://www.geocities...carb/index.html

Protien counter

http://www.aakp.org/calorieeng.htm

Just some good info--if you're into that sort of thing! :P

Connie

#15 amfcsg

amfcsg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 06:09 AM

My father has been diagnosed with celiac disease and I have just gone for testing as they say it runs in families. I was following the carbohydrate addict diet for some time. I felt great and lost weight. I went off the diet because of all the controversy over it. Has anyone heard about kidney damage when following the diet long term. I found I was eating much healthier when on the diet and now that I'm off of it I've gained 30 lbs that I can't shed. What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: