Low Carb Diet With Celiac

• Please log in to reply

40 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*

Guest_~wAvE WeT sAnD~_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:11 AM

Hi Enigma!

Both of my parents are on the South Beach diet (they're reached the "maintenance" portion--so I'll be having gluten-free/low carb meals from now until I graduate). It's very easy to combine aspects into one diet--a lot of South Beach dishes are already gluten-free, and if not, tapioca, potato, or all-purpose flour can be used as a substitute. I don't know which low card diet you're on, but I hope this helps and that you find out what works best for you!!!

Best Wishes,

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 08:03 AM

I "do" the South Beach Diet, too. I've lost the weight I wanted, but the way of eating has become second nature: lowfat meats and dairy, lots of fresh vegis and fruit (especially during the summer...yum!) controlled amounts of "grains" (2-3 servings a day with 1/2 c being a serving), little to no bad fats... Works great for me. :D It also makes being gluten free fairly a no brainer. I only have a few things a day that would include gluten (healthy muffins, a random tortilla wrap, a little rice/pasta for dinner) and those have been easy to tweak with my dietary restrictions.

#18 enigma

enigma

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:52 PM

amfcsq - Hi! Good luck with your testing. Can I give some advice? If you are having ANY symptoms of celiac disease and your tests come back negative I urge you to still follow the gluten-free diet. Now, concerning the low carb diets - I have lost 25 pounds and kept it off for nearly a year by eating low carb (probably around 50 carbs a day, on average) and I just had a pretty extensive yearly physical and everything associated with my heart checked out great. I haven't heard of any kidney damage caused by a low carb diet, but I'll be on the alert for that. I've just always heard warnings of heart problems but my husband and I both checked out good in that area. (He also did the low carb and lost 30 pounds.) We eat sensibly, not a whole lot of red meat, mostly chicken and fish, and vegetables, but we do eat lots of "regular" dairy products instead of the light or low fat ones. (The light and low or no fat ones have more carbs!) I hate that you felt the need to abandon the diet and have gained your weight back. But all of us must do what we feel is best for our health. If you do have to go gluten-free, the low carb diet is really the easiest to do. Let us know how your test results come out.

#19 lilliexx

lilliexx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 07:45 AM

i am just starting the south beach diet. i have researched it and it seems very reasonable. i was always against the atkins diet, but this one seems a lot more health conscious. most of the recipes are gluten free, so i am excited about starting this diet. i spent the first 3 months of my gluten-free life eating tons of rice pasta ad corn tortillias and now my pants are getting tight. :o

basically with the south beach diet, you cut out sugar and starch for two weeks and then you bring it back in limited amounts! we'll see what happens.
Gluten free since July 2004

I have made it one year and feel much much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 wclemens

wclemens

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 09:10 PM

Hi amfcsq,
I have been on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet for the past 7 years, and I feel wonderful. I have never had any kinds of problems since going on it, especially kidney problems, which I know about, because my mother's family has an incurable kidney disease called Polycystic Kidney Disease. My sister, brother, and I are the only ones in the family not to have it. I have experienced many miracles in my life! I have to avoid all grains, milk, dairy, egg whites, and yeast, but I really enjoy the diet, especially the one hour reward meal. I weigh 106 pounds today, and am five feet tall. Hope this helps. Welda

#21 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 09:25 PM

lilliexx,

How have you been doing with SB? Here's a great website to check out, if you're interested. The best recipes anywhere! http://www.southbeac...forum/index.php

Good luck!

#22 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 04:02 AM

I thought I posted to this topic before but can't find my post so I will do it again. I'm mostly thin but I have to really watch my weight these past 5 years or so, or I start to gain and I don't know about all you people but I can't afford a new wardrobe so I can't really start gaining weight..... wow as you get older (at least for me) your metabolism changes...

I love carbs... I have tried the Atkins, South Beach and without any carbs at all I feel terrible, I get crabby, brain symptoms, headache, I'm not kidding after 3 days on the Atkins I was lying on the couch moaning feeling like I was sick enough for the emergency room (my husband, who is now my ex husband, was begging me to eat some carbs, I finally did and got back to normal within hours). I'm sorry but I can see eating all that meat and thinking that is healthy.

So my friend lost almost 40 lbs. on the Carb's Addict Diet and he has been on it in a modified way for 3 years. He now says he can't imagine eating any other way, he swore to me his carb cravings went away. So I bought the book (and instead of trying to post it here, there are a number of simple parts to the diet, let me say its out in paper back and I bought it at Barnes and Noble for under $6. - the full title is The Carbohydrates Addict Diet and Life span Program for people in their 40's, 50's and beyond... they have just the plain Carbohydrates Addicts Diet too I guess its for younger people but the diet is the exact same... the one I had has challanges in it you can try after you have been on the diet for a while).

I went on the diet which is sort of a modified high protien diet, you don't have to weigh or measure anything, you just need to keep your protein portions and veggie portions in certain amounts, for example at breakfast you need to keep the protein and veggies each 1/2 your meal, you can eat as much as you want as long as the % is half of one and half of another (same at lunch btw), at dinner the proprotions are 1/3 protein, 1/3 low carbs veggies and 1/3 carbs of your choice.

Because you get carbs every single day I didn't get that sick feeling like I did on other low carb diets, and its so easy to do... I'm eating so healthy now and yes I've lost weight and I'm keeping it off without trying. I really think this book is worth eating. My friend who has been on it for years now created his own maintenance phase.... he is on the diet sunday - thursday and on Friday and Saturday eats how he likes... he made up this maintenance phase because he was losing too much weight (if you can imagine such a thing!).

Not only did I feel good, lose weight, sleep well, but I'm never hungry on it (it does allow snacks too but I've never had them). If really low carb diets don't work for you then you should try this one.

Susan :D

#23 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:06 AM

I hope this doesn't start sounding like "diet wars!" Lol! I HAVE to point out that South Beach is NOT a low carb diet. It's a GOOD carb diet. I eat lots of carbs everyday. Mainly carbs, in fact, because with my gastro probs, I've lost the ability to eat almost all meats without some upset (I can have a little -- like 4 ozs --chicken, turkey or fish a day, but that's it) and my ability to eat most saturated fats has been gone for nearly 2 decades (thus, I could not eat the junk that Atkins people eat if I wanted to.)

South Beach stresses eating carbs that are low on the glycemic index/load. Ones that for people who are diabetic, pre-diabetic, etc. will help regulate their blood sugar, keeping it nice and even throughout the day. It's also meant to help with cholestrol problems. A friend of mine doing the diet with me got his cholesterol first from 225 to 175 (on Liptor alone) but it's 115 now (with Lipitor AND South Beach.) He is also no longer pre-diabetic.

The other great thing about it is that there is no counting or weighing. You have a list of good, basic foods you can have, guidelines for when/how to eat (so that your metabolism is maximized and you do not get hunger attacks or sugar lows) and you just go with it.

There are two phases to the diet, the first is for 2 weeks ONLY and this is where people misunderstand it and tend to lump it with Atkins. Phase one is limiting. You basically cut out all grains, starchy foods, refined/processed foods and sugars from your diet. But, if you replace these bad carbs with good ones (beans are an excellent source of low glycemic carbs that fill and seem to fill the spot where breads used to fill) you will not even feel this slump very much. It's two weeks only and for people who do not have much weight to lose, the recommendation is you skip it and go directly to Phase 2. What phase 1 does is help you get rid of cravings. It WORKS, but you also go into a withdrawel if you're used to eating tons of grains and sugars. By the end of the two weeks, though, the cravings are gone.

Starting a gluten free diet by using Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet is amazingly easy! In two weeks you will have removed 99% of the gluten from your diet without even working on it (the rest is in stuff like soy sauce.) I know this because this is how I discovered I was gluten intolerant. I'd done such a good job of it that when I had a small whole wheat pita my first day on Phase 2, I thought I was going to die. (We all know the routine here :( )

Phase 2 of South Beach you slowly reintroduce whole grains and fruit back into your eating. The recommendation is that you eat 3 servings of grains and 3 servings of fruit a day. This is NOT a low carb diet!

Borrow, rent or buy the book and read it! I live by the glycemic load these days. A wonderful site for getting more information is: http://www.southbeac...forum/index.php This is also an excellent site for gluten free recipes. People are always coming up with snacks, meals, breakfasts, desserts... that are made without refined flour. There are also recipes that substitute bean flours for wheat flour.

I also know several people who do what they call "Weight Watchers on the Beach." :D For them, not having specific amounts to eat bothered them, but they wanted the healthier, less refined foods that SB advocates. One woman has gone from 289 to 220 in six months and is still going strong (and this is not unusual.) I went from 175 to 145 in the same amount of time (I'm 5'9") and have been having no trouble maintaining this. Eating gluten-free and eating following the South Beach's maintenance phase is no problem at all.

I have to state again, though: SOUTH BEACH IS NOT A LOW CARB DIET! Think of it as a low CRAP, good fats (advocating olive and canola oil, low fat dairy and lean meats) diet. I've also heard WW has come out with a new plan that is very similar... ;)

#24 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:34 AM

I don't want to start diet wars either because what I have learned over the years is that all our bodies are different and what works for me may not work for someone else, so I'm not saying that the diet I'm on it the best, the "right" one, or will even work for everyone. I've tried other diets and for me they either don't work or I can't stick to them, but this one I can... so I think with dieting... one has to try different things and see which work for them. My only advice is that over all to make a diet successful for years and years is that we have to sort of retrain ourselves, on good healthy food choices, portion sizes, etc. Thats why fad/starvation diets don't usually work for most people... they don't retrain how we eat, so you may lose weight on the watermelon diet but chances are you will gain it back down the line unless you eat watermelon every day of your life! :rolleyes:

However, my boyfriend does the South Beach Diet and he has had great success with it, but when I read the book the first couple of weeks are low carb. I realize that after those first couple of weeks you get to add carbs again, but for people like me that literally get sick without some carbohydrates I can't even do the 2 weeks, I get dizzy, sick to my stomach, really ill.

So again, there are a lot of great diets out there but I firmly believe that each person has to find the one that works well for them.

Susan :D

#25 yhalifax

yhalifax

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:10 AM

Hi
Low Carb diet WILL NOT hurt your kidneys.
A lot of people think so but it's just not true.

The belief probably came from the fact that if your kidneys are already damaged (when you need dialysis) than they can't process protein. Obviously low carb/high protein is dangerous for you then but not if you have normal kidney function.

I actually have Polysistic Kidney Disease. My kidneys however funtion at 100% and I've been doing low carb for ages without problems.

#26 Guest_shai_*

Guest_shai_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:11 AM

My father-in-law has been on the Atkins diet for over a year and a half. He's followed the books so closely he has it labeled and all worn out. He ended up in the hospital due to renal failure after being on the diet awhile, and he is also on cholesterol lowering medication now. Before the diet he had no cholesterol problems. He's lost 40 pounds and his blood pressure is down, but I am not sure if it is worth it. My uncle also follows this diet and keeps ending up in the hospital from kidney stones, and now he might have something wrong with his colon.
My friends dad has been on the diet, lost lots of weight. He was very healthy until after following Atkins for a year. HE just had a scope done and he has colon cancer.
This is something that us with celiac disease have to be particularly careful of. Our digestive systems aren't that great to begin with, and a diet high in hard to digest and process proteins is not ideal for people who are already predisposed to to problems like this.
The best diet is low in fat, high in cancer fighting fruits and veggies. They
re right when they say an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

#27 gypsyfey

gypsyfey

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:56 PM

I followed an extremely low carb (10 or so a day) regiment....although not specifically anyones plan. I lost 20 pounds the first month and continued to lose for another 8 months (a total of 100 pounds). Although everyone said my weightloss was too fast, I felt good and was comfortable with it. After the first 20, I also started walking. I went from a size 22 to a size 5/7. I have had no adverse kidney, blood pressure or cholesteral problems ( according to my doctor). I had started reintroducing carbs into my diet, when we realised that I was suffering from celiac disease. After being wheat free for a year, the amount of pain I had when I reintroduced carbs was amazing. My then boyfriend (now husband) has celiac disease and he was always substituting for wheat. Tortilla chips, rice, different flours, potatoes etc....as you can imagine that was to many carbs for me. I immediately started gaining weight. When we both went carb free, we realised he had a serious problem with diet coke. After quite alot of research we found that amoung all the other awfull thing that Nutrasweet does to your body, it triggers a carb craving. Sooooo now he drinks Diet RC, and we have aggreed to go back to a very low carb lifestyle.....right after the holidays that is lol!

#28 Guest_shai_*

Guest_shai_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2004 - 06:03 PM

When we both went carb free, we realised he had a serious problem with diet coke.

Most "dark" colas have caramal coloring in them which is made with malt derived from grains. You may want to check with the company to see if the kind you like to drink does.
It's great that you lost weight and are so healthy. Perhaps some people can do the high protein/low carb diets with no problem. I just know a few people who's health suffered from them. It's too bad. But if it works for you that's great!

#29 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:18 PM

:D Thanks everyone!
I'm already beginning to loose some of the 'puffiness' I've had on my tummy for years. I know I'm overweight by about 15lb I guess. B)

I think that cutting out all the foods which haven't been healthy for us each individually helps a whole lot. Then finding other good, healthy food which our bodies can handle is an absolute must.

There is no way I'd figure this all out on my own. Thanks again gang. :wub:
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#30 dfish

dfish

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 09:47 AM

How does someone do a low carb diet if they can't eat eggs or dairy or chicken? I'm currently experimenting with my diet (partially because I'm in the middle of a fabulous gluten challenge) and am finding myself totally confused. I am borderline diabetic, so lower glycemic index foods are great for me and I've examined the South Beach Diet and Atkins and the Carb Addicts' Diet, but if I can't eat eggs or dairy or chicken, what can I eat? I'm not sure red meat is very good on one's stomach (I'm also trying to integrate some IBS type diets into my life and red meat is a big no no). I guess I'm needing to become a gluten free, dairy/casein free/low carb vegetarian? :D If that's the case, what the heck is a person to eat? PS: I'm also beginning to think I react to soy, so that leaves soy based dairy substitutes out, too. Should I just munch on kale and asparagus for the rest of my life? Any suggestions would be awesome!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: