Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Question About Potatoes & Joint Pain

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could clear up some confusion I've had over potatoes. I keep hearing a lot of people talking about nightshades affecting joints and how 'white potatoes' are not good for some people...now what kind of potatoes are we talking about here? Russet baking potatoes? Are 'red potatoes' ok, or are they not because they are white inside? What about those potatoes that are purple inside? I know sweet potatoes are ok...just wondering if there are any others that are as well. My husband has arthritis & we're considering cutting out potatoes from his diet, but he loooooves potatoes, so we're wondering if there's any way around this since his diet has changed so much from going gluten free.

Thanks.

Ads by Google:

I posted this a few days ago, but I think I did it in the wrong section & it got moved...now I can't find it on the board....so, I'm reposting to see if anyone has some input for me.

I was wondering if anyone could clear up some confusion I've had over potatoes. I keep hearing a lot of people talking about nightshades affecting joints and how 'white potatoes' are not good for some people...now what kind of potatoes are we talking about here? Russet baking potatoes? Are 'red potatoes' ok (the little ones with red skin), or are they not because they are white inside? What about those potatoes that are purple inside? I know sweet potatoes are ok...just wondering if there are any others that are as well. My husband has psoriatic arthritis & we're considering also cutting out potatoes from his diet, but he loooooves potatoes, so we're wondering if there's any way around this since his diet has changed so much from going gluten free.

Thanks.

It's not just white potatoes. It's nightshades. That includes all potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers and probably some other things I'm forgetting about.

That being said, nightshades do not affect all people with arthritis. I have psoriatic arthritis and am not affected by them. My mom has rhuematoid arthritis and is affected.

Red potatoes have less starch than others, so are better for diabetics and low carb folks; but they are just as much a nightshade as the other true potatoes. Tobacco is also a nightshade. Black pepper is not. Sweet potatoes/yams are not (marigold family).

There is another thread here about low oxalates where folks talk a lot about nightshades. You might want to try it out.

I have severe arthritis in my joints oddly potatoes do not bother me. I follow a pral load, acid versus alkaline foods and avoid acid producing foods. It helped my arthritis greatly.

It's all nightshades and not just white potatoes that can be a problem. I have psoriatic arthritis and they don't cause me problems. My mom has rhuematoid arthritis and they do cause her problems.

HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT JERSEY ANGEL'S THREAD HERE ON OXALATES?

THERE ARE SOME LINKS.............ALSO THE ONE MICHAEL FOWLER DID ON POTATOES?

IT TALKES ABOUT IT TOO

GOOD LUCK

JUDY