This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf Restraunts For Breakfast

kosmokitty

kosmokitty Newbie

I will be traveling out of town and I am wondering about eating breakfast out. Are there any restaurants that you have had any experience with? Thanks for the info!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

You don't mention where you're going, which would make it easier to make suggestions.

Amazingly enough, I've had goof luck at Waffle House. They make the food right there in front of you and the place where they make eggs and bacon is away from the waffles and pancakes. It's also a homey type place where they really care about the customer. The menu states that they use Hormel bacon and sausage. I also usually get an omelette and grits. Be very vlear with the waitress that toast can't touch your food, because they put toast on every dish.

I'd feel pretty safe with eggs, fruit, bacon (not at McDonald's, though, McDonald's bacon has wheat starch) and sausage almost anywhere. Check on the brand but virtually all bacon and sausage is gluten-free.

If you end up at an IHOP, beware of the omelettes. They put pancake batter in them to fluff them up. You CAN get an egg white or egg replacer omelette, though. Or maybe they'll crack some eggs just for you.

richard

kvogt Rookie

I like Bob Evans. I often get the fried mush with eggs, bacon, etc. Closest thing to bread with breakfast I've discovered.

I also go to Cracker Barrel. You can get fried potatos (not the potato cassarole), eggs, pork chops and pinto beans.

Guest Lindam

:) I just went to the Denny's Restaurant site and they have the listing of all of their food and the allergens. I am going for breakfast on Sunday, so I hope everything will be okay.

Linda

kosmokitty Newbie

Thanks for all your suggestions! I went out of town to Phoenix, Arizona and ate breakfast at a Denny's restraunt and did great! I had hash browns, eggs and bacon. No reactions and they were very accomadating.

glen4cindy Apprentice

I just almost had a real problem with Denny's while traveling in Oklahoma City. I have eaten the Nachos without getting sick, but, last time, I got very ill.

This time, I asked first, because we were traveling from St. Louis, MO to McAllen, TX. This is a 1200 mile trip, no time to be fighting a gluten attack!

Anyway, I asked the waitress to check with the kitchen to see if they were safe or not, because I have had good and bad experiences eating them. She came back out and told me they were safe, and I KNEW she did NOT understand me at all, and had NO clue!!! I then got the manager who checked in a book and found that they are NOT safe. The manager said she was new, her 2nd day. I told the manager she really needed to educate the cooks and waitresses to refer questions like that to a manager. Anyway, I found a safe meal to eat and all is well.

BUT! I just checked with the website and they have an allergen list available. HOWEVER, they report Rice Krispies to be safe, and I know they contain malt flavoring which makes them NOT safe. I sent them an e-mail and will see what that brings.

Thanks for listening!

• 3 weeks later...
cdford Contributor

I have also had good experiences with several Waffle Houses. You just have to make sure that your waitress understands that white bread has wheat in it! My local IHOP has also been very accomodating, though a little more limiting than Waffle House and significantly more expensive.

Donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Yes, Waffle House (down here in The South) is good as long as you watch them! Sometimes they use the same rags with everything and let things touch, so watch.

McDonalds is good, too. Especially since they are all over.

I really like the places that have fruit that you can pick yourself . . .I am big on bananas and apples.

Depending on the city you can find out in advance if there are places who cater to Celiacs, like in more major cities.

Talking and making your problem known is good so that they can help and make sure your order doesn't get screwed up.

Archived