Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  




Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:




Ads by Google:






   Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Nausea After A Massage
0

8 posts in this topic

I don't think this is Celiac related but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it or knows what might be going on. My fiance's sister took me with her to get a massage yesterday and I felt quite unwell afterwards. I told the Massage Therapist about the gluten issue and brought my own lotion so I don't think it was Celiac related.

I started feeling nauseated near the end of the massage and felt sick and dizzy all the way home (thankfully I wasn't driving). I threw up a few times right after I got home and had a headache and felt queasy and sleepy for the rest of the day. I spent most of the day lying on the couch and couldn't eat much.

Could the massage have caused this and does anyone know why it would have. The massage felt great but it wasn't worth feeling hung over for the rest of the day.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ads by Google:

I have had massage therapists tell me to drink plenty of water before and after a massage (especially deep tissue) because the increased blood flow to the muscles and working them can release toxins from the muscles and make you nauseated. Don't know how true it is, but one of the medical types should chime in soon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what could have caused it, but last time I got a massage I got pretty sick also. About 1/2 way through I had to have her stop because I was near fainting and thought I was going to throw up - and I felt pretty sick the rest of the day. I had gotten several massages before this one, so I don't know what happened during this one. She did tell me that if you are dehydrated, the massage can make you feel ill. Hopefully someone can chime in with more insight, but just wanted to let you know it has happened to me too!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto both of the above. Must pre-hydrate and re-hydrate well afterwards.

If any kind of bug is brewing in you, it will surface during or after massage.

Do not get massage if you have a cold or feel questionable. Not saying that you did, it's just a general warning. Lots of toxins are released during massage.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's true, a massage can loosen up toxins and make you feel bad. Drink lots of water. It might not be a bad idea to get one once in a while to help clear out some of the toxins that are apparently lingering in your system.

I get them periodically for this reason. I also drink Yogi detox tea.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Yes...toxins are mobilized during a massage. The fact that you were so affected by it indicates that your body needed some help in eliminating those toxins from your body.

Alot of water could have helped with that. Also, taking some chlorella helps bind the toxins (especially heavy metals) so that they are able to be excreted rather than reabsorbed and redistributed (which is what causes those symptoms).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ack, toxins -- that sounds scary. Sometimes it's hard to tell if something is making me sick, or if it's a blood sugar issue or just my stomach being sensitive.

But from all of your responses, it sounds like it was a toxin issue. I will definitely have to hyper-hydrate if/when I have another massage. I wonder why my soon-to-be sister in law didn't feel sick like me. I've never thought I was a particularly toxic person. So if I have another massage and make sure I drink enough water, will I pee out some toxins.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've never thought I was a particularly toxic person.

Actually, everyone is pretty toxic...its the price we pay living on this planet. My Dr. told me that there were studies done where they took random people of the street for testing. The only requirement was that they had to be in good health (no obvious symptoms).

They were tested for a long list of toxic substances...heavy metals, pesticides, PCB, Dioxin, environmental toxins, etc. The results showed that *everyone* had these substances in their body...and in large amounts.

The people in the study were still healthy....meaning that so far their immune systems were dealing with the toxic load pretty well. Its usually when people are having chronic symptoms that their toxic burden is getting to be too high. Some of us are better at detoxing than others....genetics are a big factor in that.

If someone is developing more and more allergies/sensitivities...its a good indication that they are not handling the toxic load very well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.