This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Dream "ice Cream" Safe?

Green12

Green12 Enthusiast

I know the Rice Dream milks are processed with barley, but I was looking at the ingredient lists on all the Rice Dream non-dairy dessert "ice creams" and they don't mention barley. Anyone know if they are safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator
I know the Rice Dream milks are processed with barley, but I was looking at the ingredient lists on all the Rice Dream non-dairy dessert "ice creams" and they don't mention barley. Anyone know if they are safe?

Several of the frozen Rice Dream flavors are gluten-free. Obviously, stay away from "Cookies and Dream" and then also the "Carob Mint Chip". I think there's one other one that's definitely a "no-no", but the other are fine.

Ursa Major Collaborator

There was a thread a while ago about this, and I believe some of them were safe, but not all. Maybe you could try doing a search to find that thread?

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Good question: Rice Dream has changed their box so that they are now not listing the barley enzymes and calling Rice Dream gluten-free, even though it's not. I would guess that the ice cream is made from Rice Dream and therefore not gluten-free, but it's best to check directly with the source.

lonewolf Collaborator
Good question: Rice Dream has changed their box so that they are now not listing the barley enzymes and calling Rice Dream gluten-free, even though it's not. I would guess that the ice cream is made from Rice Dream and therefore not gluten-free, but it's best to check directly with the source.

Long before the current problem with Rice Dream's labeling, they stated that most of their frozen desserts were gluten-free - that the process used to make them was different. I don't react to frozen Rice Dream and never have. I haven't been to their website lately, but they used to have a chart that showed which of their products was gluten-free. The milk was clearly NOT on the gluten-free list, but some of the frozen desserts were.

Green12 Enthusiast

I did a search on Rice Dream and nothing came up specifically on the frozen desserts

Long before the current problem with Rice Dream's labeling, they stated that most of their frozen desserts were gluten-free - that the process used to make them was different. I don't react to frozen Rice Dream and never have. I haven't been to their website lately, but they used to have a chart that showed which of their products was gluten-free. The milk was clearly NOT on the gluten-free list, but some of the frozen desserts were.

That's what I thought, that the milk and the frozen desserts were processed differently, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks for the info everybody :)

Sugarmag Newbie

I ended up contacting Rice Dream recently, partly about this. Anyways, from what I got out of the conversation I had with the customer service rep is this: Rice Dream got new equipment that can detect gluten in even smaller doses than it could before. Every single batch of everything they make, that they put gluten free on, has passed the FDA standards of being gluten free, to still be called gluten free. I believe it had to be under 2 parts per million to be considered gluten free. She also said that if any gluten was detected, it would be stated on the label/packaging. I have seen the Carob Classic milk recently, and it did state on the package....that less than 0.002ppm was detected. So, technically, it IS still gluten free by the FDA guidelines, but they will state on each batch they make, if any gluten was detected. She also told me that the website is extremely out of date, and that whatever is listed on the package for ingredients is correct, NOT what is on the website!! (She did mention she would tell her higher-ups to update the website info.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 3 months later...
highrentsmile Rookie
I ended up contacting Rice Dream recently, partly about this. Anyways, from what I got out of the conversation I had with the customer service rep is this: Rice Dream got new equipment that can detect gluten in even smaller doses than it could before. Every single batch of everything they make, that they put gluten free on, has passed the FDA standards of being gluten free, to still be called gluten free. I believe it had to be under 2 parts per million to be considered gluten free. She also said that if any gluten was detected, it would be stated on the label/packaging. I have seen the Carob Classic milk recently, and it did state on the package....that less than 0.002ppm was detected. So, technically, it IS still gluten free by the FDA guidelines, but they will state on each batch they make, if any gluten was detected. She also told me that the website is extremely out of date, and that whatever is listed on the package for ingredients is correct, NOT what is on the website!! (She did mention she would tell her higher-ups to update the website info.)

Ugh! I am so glad I read this! I had just read there website yesterday and went and bought a carton. I will have to return it. So what do you guys use for a Gluten-free Casein-free milk alternative?

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Ugh! I am so glad I read this! I had just read there website yesterday and went and bought a carton. I will have to return it. So what do you guys use for a Gluten-free Casein-free milk alternative?

I use Pacific brand Rice Milk, Hempmilk and almond milk. Wegmans has also come out with their own gluten-free rice milk, I have some vanilla waiting in my fridge to try. The hempmilk in chocolate makes great smoothies and has a very high amount of calcium and protein. I use the Rice Milk in all my cooking and over cereal.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

How nice that the folks at Rice Dream are so lagging in maintaining their website. Geez.

We use Westsoy Rice milk. Pacific when we can't find that.

highrentsmile Rookie
I use Pacific brand Rice Milk, Hempmilk and almond milk. Wegmans has also come out with their own gluten-free rice milk, I have some vanilla waiting in my fridge to try. The hempmilk in chocolate makes great smoothies and has a very high amount of calcium and protein. I use the Rice Milk in all my cooking and over cereal.

I was reading the Pacific website, I use there broth too. So, you must not worry about Pacific using the same equipment as used for wheat, barley and oats. I mean, they stated they clean the lines, but just wondered if that was a concern, or if it should be fine.

jerseyangel Proficient

I also use Pacific Brand Rice and Almond Milks--never a problem with them and I use them pretty much every day.

Good to know Wegman's has their own brand--I'll have to look for it next time I'm there. :)

Archived