arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Fast Can A Reaction Occur After Consuming Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

29 replies to this topic

#1 lilgreen

lilgreen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:53 AM

I had tortilla chips yesterday and within a few minutes I started reacting. I'm only just learning that even corn chips can have hidden gluten (I'm newly diagnosed), but to have a reaction so quickly seems a little unreal. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_Doll_*

Guest_Doll_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:15 AM

*Generally* Celiac has always been regarded as a "delayed" reaction. But many on this board report immediate or fairly immediate responses. I think there is no real standard. Within 20 minutes seems common. I'm sure others out there will be able to give you their own "glutening schedule". :P Some may be within a minute, others may be within hours. Some people react instantly, as soon as it touches their mouth (I suspect they must have a wheat allergy).

I personally react within minutes with a full blown reaction. I have had delayed reactions as well, but they are not common and I have no idea why those particular reactions were delayed (i.e. 3 hours later). I also was just diagnosed with an IgE wheat allergy on top of Celiac, which in my case may explain my "severe" reaction. I may also be a "sensitive "Celiac as well.

That said, you *do not* need to have a wheat allergy on top of Celiac in order to have an immediate and severe reaction, but if you do, it might be worth having allergy testing. If positive, you may need to carry Benadryl and an Epipen just in case.

Take care! :)

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:31 AM

Hi,

I personally don't begin to react for about 2 hours or so. :)

It's highly individual, though. I've read here of people reacting right away, and others a day or more later.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Vykt0r

Vykt0r

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:49 AM

My mouth gets irritated after about half an hour. After that, I get a series of GI symptoms.

#5 Cherry Tart

Cherry Tart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:15 PM

In some instances, I've noticed my stomach burning within just a few minutes. However, 20-30 minutes is the norm for me. Recovery time can be anything from a few hours to a couple of days. Depends on the severity.
Diagnosed & gluten-free - April 2004 :)

#6 jewi0008

jewi0008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:34 PM

My mouth gets irritated after about half an hour. After that, I get a series of GI symptoms.

Here we go...I FINALLY found someone who gets mouth irritations!!! Can you please tell me what happens to your mouth?

#7 rsm

rsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:11 PM

What kind of oil were the chips fried in? Gluten usually hits me in about 20-30 minutes. Cottonseed oil gives me the same reaction, at least it feels like it. Cottonseed oil is used in a lot of things, there may something in the chips apart from gluten that you don't tolerate. Once I went gluten free I became much more sensitive to foods.

#8 lilgreen

lilgreen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:45 PM

What kind of oil were the chips fried in? Gluten usually hits me in about 20-30 minutes. Cottonseed oil gives me the same reaction, at least it feels like it. Cottonseed oil is used in a lot of things, there may something in the chips apart from gluten that you don't tolerate. Once I went gluten free I became much more sensitive to foods.

Yes, I'm finding this, too... especially with dairy. I'm not sure what the chips were cooked in, but I've checked with the manufacturer and the chips are not on their gluten-free list, so gluten is possible. It's good to know that there might be other explanations than just gluten and I will definitely pay close attention to cottonseed oil. Very interesting! Thanks!

#9 jewi0008

jewi0008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:56 PM

Yes, I'm finding this, too... especially with dairy. I'm not sure what the chips were cooked in, but I've checked with the manufacturer and the chips are not on their gluten-free list, so gluten is possible. It's good to know that there might be other explanations than just gluten and I will definitely pay close attention to cottonseed oil. Very interesting! Thanks!

I have this with chips, too. Everytime I go to El Belazo and get their chips...thinking they are okay, I wake up with the worst left-sided pain the next day. And I'm always nauseated in the morning. Also, I'm wondering about something else you all said...."once you went gluten-free, you developed many more sensitivities." Why is this? There are so many things I cannot tolerate now. While a lot of my gastro symptoms went away, I have others that came and others that just linger and linger and linger. Does anyone have any good articles or knowledge about why this is?

#10 irish daveyboy

irish daveyboy

The Irish Coeliac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:25 PM

Hi all,
I'm 2yrs Totally Gluten Free, I recently 'Glutened' myself rather stupidly,
last Thursday evening i was shopping in my local Supermarket with a neighbour and there was
sampling of smoked salmon on brown bread.
My neighbour sampled some from the plate and said it was lovely,
when the lady asked me would I like to try,
I explained that I was Coeliac and couldn't eat anything with gluten in it.
She said my nephew is Coeliac, I know you can eat the smoked salmon,
just sample that, so she cut a large piece of salmon lifted it up on the knife and i eat it.
It was only then I noticed that was the same knife she used to spread and cut the bread !!
I thought to myself, it can't possibly do much harm,
'BOY WAS I WRONG'.
Within 4 - 5 hrs I had severe cramping and then the big 'D'
I had it all day Friday and most of Saturday and I was afraid to leave the house,
even though i'd taken 'Imodium Tablets'.
This is one guy who won't sample at the Supermarket again.
Best Regards,
David
Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.
Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests
Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.
Self Taught Baker.
Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

#11 lilgreen

lilgreen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

I have this with chips, too. Everytime I go to El Belazo and get their chips...thinking they are okay, I wake up with the worst left-sided pain the next day. And I'm always nauseated in the morning. Also, I'm wondering about something else you all said...."once you went gluten-free, you developed many more sensitivities." Why is this? There are so many things I cannot tolerate now. While a lot of my gastro symptoms went away, I have others that came and others that just linger and linger and linger. Does anyone have any good articles or knowledge about why this is?

I suspect that I've had my other sensitivities all along, but could never distinguish them because gluten was so pervasive in my diet and I was constantly having problems. I wonder, though, if htere is more to it....

#12 Daughter_of_TheLight

Daughter_of_TheLight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

Were they tostitos? I don't know how many people know this, but Tostitos can have CC. Because of those new "Multigrain" chips. <_< not fun. My mom found that out a few months ago. They won't SWEAR that their products are gluten-free. *eyelidtwitch*
I live behind an eternal mask
Glued there, to my face,
All it shows is happiness,
All it shows is fake.
-Light

Please leave your sanity in the sanity box by the door. There is no sanity allowed in this room...

THE CAREBEARS WILL JOIN WITH THE BOOHBAHS AND TELETUBBIES AND TAKE OVER THE UNIVERSE WITH MACHINE GUNS AND BRAINWASHED CHILDREN!!!!!! DUCK AND COVER!!!!

If you believe that the media is trying to brainwash our children with pointless television copy and paste this into your siggy with your name attatched. : Daughter_of_TheLight

#13 little_c

little_c

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:23 PM

My reaction usually starts about 2 hours after eating offensive foods. The effects usually last 24 - 48 hours. I've spent whole weekends recovering from a Friday night glutening. Yuk.
little_c

If you scrutinize, you won't be glutenized.

#14 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

My reaction usually starts about 2 hours after eating offensive foods. The effects usually last 24 - 48 hours. I've spent whole weekends recovering from a Friday night glutening. Yuk.

It usually takes at least two days fo rme to react, as far as I can tell, and itlasts from 2 weeks to a month depending on how much gluten I got.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#15 rsm

rsm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:21 PM

Indeed, dairy is tough, I had to go dairy free as well as gluten free. It's been 7 months and I still cannot handle dairy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: