10 replies to this topic

#1 ilovechocolate

ilovechocolate

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

I'm confused. can we have them or not? what about the CC issues?
thanks for the help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:30 AM

Here is the current Lays gluten-free list. Lays does produce these chips on shared lines, but they clean between runs. If you want a Lays product that is produced in a gluten-free facility, that would be the Lays Stax.

Hope this helps.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,709 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:20 AM

I have been CC'd too many times by Lay's products to even want to try these. For me it is like playing roulette with my body, sometimes their products are fine but often they 'get' me. I do occasionally have the Stax though and haven't had a problem.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:37 AM

I have been CC'd too many times by Lay's products to even want to try these. For me it is like playing roulette with my body, sometimes their products are fine but often they 'get' me. I do occasionally have the Stax though and haven't had a problem.

Ditto for me. I do now eat the plain Stax without problems.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Daughter_of_TheLight

Daughter_of_TheLight

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:41 AM

Lays have been my sanity. In the two months I've had Celiac I've gone through about seven or eight bags...
I live behind an eternal mask
Glued there, to my face,
All it shows is happiness,
All it shows is fake.
-Light

Please leave your sanity in the sanity box by the door. There is no sanity allowed in this room...

THE CAREBEARS WILL JOIN WITH THE BOOHBAHS AND TELETUBBIES AND TAKE OVER THE UNIVERSE WITH MACHINE GUNS AND BRAINWASHED CHILDREN!!!!!! DUCK AND COVER!!!!

If you believe that the media is trying to brainwash our children with pointless television copy and paste this into your siggy with your name attatched. : Daughter_of_TheLight

#6 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

We also avoid Lay's Products in my household. My son's "episodes" always seemed to correlate to eating a Lay's product. My son got sick after eating barbecue stax, but it was probably from all the junk they put in them. <_<
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#7 Matilda

Matilda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

#8 goldyjlox

goldyjlox

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:57 PM

I noticed on the ingredients that it say monosodium Glutamate. I thought this was gluten?? It says on the usafe list that its safe in the US...I am from BC, so are they safe or not here??
1 negative Bloodtest.
2 positive Bloodtests.(years later)
Positive Biopsy 08/13/07
Gluten Free since 08/23/07

Jess (31)
Daughter (03/23/04) Negative bloodwork (10/22/07)
Son (09/14/06) Negative bloodwork (10/22/07)

#9 bulrush

bulrush

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:59 AM

Monosodium glutamate (MSG) is not gluten, however many people are still allergic to it. Symptoms of MSG sensitivity include headache, or a general feeling of stomach upset.

#10 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

A reaction from Baked Lays could actually have nothing to do with gluten..I LOVED their chedder and sour cream baked lays chips until I ate too many...and the Olestra in the chips actually does give you a gluten reaction....I've heard of some people having CC issues and others are fine...but with Baked Lays this was the problem for me!

#11 nuevacourt

nuevacourt

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

Here is the current Lays gluten-free list. Lays does produce these chips on shared lines, but they clean between runs. If you want a Lays product that is produced in a gluten-free facility, that would be the Lays Stax.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

The site says that they have a gluten-free line, NOT facility. I tried calling for clarification, because it says STAXs are gluten free but then "all products are produced on the same line...." which is confusing because they just said STAX was produced on its own line. How do they package the STAX? How do they ensure that STAX don't come in contact with other gluten-containing products or packaging??? If anyone has more info please share with the group! I don't dare try any of these until I have more information. Since I never really react to a product with gluten, I can't rely on my body to tell me (which in general is probably not the best way to go). I don't want to get cancer later or die sooner than my non-celiac peers, so I don't take chances - with lack of information or trust of the source, I err on the side of caution.

Here is the text from the site:

"*Our LAY�S� STAX� chips (all flavors) are made on gluten free lines, thus all LAY�S� STAX� products are free of gluten.

*The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected.

All Frito-Lay products are labeled accurately with the most current ingredient information. Frito-Lay makes every effort to maintain this list; however, since the ingredients in our snacks are subject to change at any time, we recommend that you check the label on a specific product for the most current and accurate nutritional information. If you need assistance, please contact Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs toll-free at 1-800-352-4477 Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Central Standard Time."

~courtney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: