9 replies to this topic

#1 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:30 AM

Does anyone know a good recipe for carmel? I need one that is dairy free too.
Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

I don't have the cookbook anymore so I can list the recipe or even check it out, but I know that maple syrup was used and probably cornstarch/arrowroot.....cooked until it changed color, constantly stirring. I believe the recipe was from the Micheff Sisters although it hadn't made it into a cookbook yet, it probably has by now. Their cookbooks are vegan and obviously not gluten free.

I don't know how much of an archive 3ABN has but it was from a show they did on there. You may want to check it out just so you can see the recipes and if that is listed among one of the shows. You'd have to look at all the shows the Micheff Sisters did.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 ~alex~

~alex~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:43 PM

You can make a simple caramel by dissolving sugar in water and then boiling off the water. It won't be a creamy sauce though if that is what you are looking for.

Here is a site that shows how to make candy apples. I am hoping to make them for Halloween. You could probably use their recipe for your caramel depending on what you need the caramel for.

http://home.discover...5123recipe.html

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

You can make a simple caramel by dissolving sugar in water and then boiling off the water. It won't be a creamy sauce though if that is what you are looking for.

Here is a site that shows how to make candy apples. I am hoping to make them for Halloween. You could probably use their recipe for your caramel depending on what you need the caramel for.

http://home.discover...5123recipe.html

That's not the same as caramel. That's to make the red, hard candy coated apples.

I don't think caramels can be made that are dairy free since they are made of butter and milk or cream.

#5 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:19 AM

Gluten-free Casein-free Caramel Apples
1/4 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup or brown rice syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup water
5 or 6 tart apples (with sticks)
1. In medium saucepan, melt margarine.
2. Stir in sugar, syrup, vanilla and water.
3. Bring mixture to a boil and keep boiling for about several minutesuntil a candy thermometer reads 245 F.
4. Remove caramel from heat. Put a Popsicle stick in the center ofeach apple. When the mixture has stopped bubbling, swirl each applein the caramel syrup to coat. Place apples on a well greased cookiesheet to harden.

The rest of the recipe including instructions is on http://kathi-Gluten-...e.blogspot.com/. The pictures look divine!
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#6 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the recipes and ideas.

I needed the carmel to be creamy and soft, not hard. It's for a layered graham cracker cookie. One of my favorites!!! I assume that using soy milk and dairy free butter or Crisco would change the way the traditional carmel comes out?? Maybe??

#7 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the recipes and ideas.

I needed the carmel to be creamy and soft, not hard. It's for a layered graham cracker cookie. One of my favorites!!! I assume that using soy milk and dairy free butter or Crisco would change the way the traditional carmel comes out?? Maybe??

I make a nice caramel by substituting organic coconut milk for the cream and extra virgin coconut oil for the butter in a normal caramel recipe. Works for me. I've used agave syrup in that recipe successfully too.

#8 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

I just use my pre-gluten and casein-free recipe and sub vegan and safe versions. I made condensed milk from scratch and use that.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#9 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:40 AM

This must be a rediculous question, but....how do you make condensed milk?

#10 lcbannon

lcbannon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:06 AM

Easy way to make a soft caramel is to cut top off can of sweetend condensed milk, set it in a pan of water and bring it to a boil (the water) the milk will carmilize. Have forgotton how long to do it, but should be on net or you will be able to tell by looking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: