This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Muscle Pain?

anglepoise

anglepoise Apprentice

Whenever I read about Celiac Disease, I always see a lot about bowel or digestive problems, maybe headaches, etc. But I don't see too much written about muscle pain. So I'd like to know how people here are doing with that? Me, I have extreme muscle pain. In fact, it's one of the first indicators I've ingested gluten within the past 24 hours, when my muscles start aching or cramping all over. What do people do about it? I take aspirin, or a warm bath. Sleep or bed rest is usually the only thing that will make it go away. That, and time!

Angel

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debimashni Newbie

I also have muscle and bone pain....sometimes it is so bad it wakes me up at night. I also have Behcet's Disease, so I am not sure if it is the Celiac or the Behcet's. We have a hot tub that I sometimes use for the muscle pain...and if it is really bad, I sometimes take prednisone for a few days.

png1lover Newbie

Hi Angel,

I always have muscle pain, I was told back in 95' that it was fibromaylgia. I take a lot of asprin and warm baths as well. For the last 3 weeks it has been to painful to even lay down and try to sleep. I have been living on just short naps. Today seems to be one of the worst days yet.

Linda

strack2004 Rookie

I'm not sure if my body aches and pains are due to muscle aches, tendon problems, old age, or maybe celiac. I haven't been diagnosed with celiac, but have had digestive problems since early childhood. Many family members also have such problems. So I am doing the celiac diet (SCD) anyway. Have been on it since July 30, 2004, about 3 and a half months. I have asked doctors aabout my aches and pains, but so far, no one has attached a diagnosis. I suspect this is because the diagnoses often seem to be "umbrella" terms for problems that don't seem to fit any ailment that there is a real remedy for except for medicines that cut down on pain. So far on the celiac diet I notice that I have more energy and I sleep better, also have lost about 20 lbs. I no longer carry around with me the equivalent of 2 ten lb. bags of sugar or flour!..Actually, I guess my family Dr. usually suggests the old "Arthur" or arthritis. As I sit here my fingers and ankles ache, also shoulders, and "sitter" . I don't take pain meds, but just keep busy with my various activities. I walk alot. It often hurts, but I do it anyway. Cheers, Ruth S.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:( me too--not always, but sometimes i hurt and i try to think of something i did that would cause me to hurt and come up with nothing and sometimes they are phantom aches--the other day my upper arm felt like someone was pinching it and it stung--not a mark on it--nothing---mostly its my knees or hips--one knee i did fall over a 96# dog 2 yrs ago, but the other knee just went--i squatted down and that was it--now both knees are shot--somedays they give me no problem at all--other days they hurt so much-might be just bad knees, now the hips have hurt me for years, but i was no gluten free for many years that i shouldhave been--i do think it is all connected ;) deb
Guest barbara3675

This has been discussed on this message board before. I have fibromyalgia and I have pain from my shoulders to my fingers, funny thing is that it is worse when I go to bed. I take an anti-depressant to sleep and a strong anti-inflammitory for pain, don't know where I would be without them. I had hoped that there was a connection between the gluten sensitivity and the fibro, but so far there doesn't seem to be. Now that I don't eat gluten or dairy, I have solved the pains in my stomach and abdomen and the constant diareah/constipation back and forth, but was disappointed that it didn't seem to cure the fibro---YET???

Barbara

judy05 Apprentice

I used to have severe pain my neck, shoulders, and right thigh.

My GI doc gave me Amitrptyline (very small dose) at bedtime and all

of the pain has gone away. I weaned myself off the medication

and the severe pains never came back, except one day when I

tried to introduce oatmeal back into my diet (bad idea). In about three hours

I had pain in my stomach, down my thighs and into my feet, it was horrible!

After having diarrhea all night the pain was gone and never came back.

I know Fibromyalgia is related to gluten. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

anglepoise Apprentice
, except one day when I

tried to introduce oatmeal back into my diet (bad idea). In about three hours

I had pain in my stomach, down my thighs and into my feet, it was horrible!

I had a similar experience recently with oatmeal. I thought I'd give it a shot, since I'd decided to stop eating eggs for breakfast after realizing I was sensitive to them, but my health deteriorated fast. It was very dramatic! That was a few weeks back & I'm still not back to normal, whatever that is.

My boyfriend was listening to my tales of woe today & wondered if estrogen levels could play a role in pain. So he went online and researched it. Lo and behold, too much estrogen brings on muscle pain, and a list of symptoms that correlates with Fibromyalgia. I'm going to look into this further, but it means being cautious about things like your birth control pills. I know that my mom, who has the same condition as me, said that after menopause, 1/2 of her symptoms just disappeared!

Angel

gf4life Enthusiast

I used to have a lot of daily muscle pain. I would take Tylenol for it at bedtime if I couldn't sleep. Since going gluten-free this last January much of that pain has gone a way.

The only major problem I still have is my knees and hips. I was diagnosed with Bursitis 16 years ago and they bother me a lot when the temperature is going to drop by at least 10 degrees and when it is going to rain or there is a lot of moisture in the air. I guess I should be glad we moved to an area that is hot and dry for the majority of the year! Lately it has been foggy a lot and my joints hurt. I have to wear a knee brace on the left knee fairly often for extra support when it goes out, and occasionally on the right knee. When it is my hips are bothering me I can hardly walk, and it is almost impossible to get up and down stairs!

Every once in a while I will ache terribly all over, but I can usually tie that to something like overexerting myself or some gluten ingestion (if I am also having tummy troubles).

I do not use bc pills and don't eat soy, so the only thing I eat on a semi regular basis that I know contains a lot of estrogen is flax seed. I eat that in my Sunflower Flax Bread once or twice a week. Probably not enough to have an excess of estrogen in my body.

I don't know if Fibromyalgia is related to Celaic, but I do know that a lot of Celiacs also have Fibromyalgia. But then a lot of people who have Fibromyalgia DON'T have Celiac. So I guess there might be a link, but one is not required for you to get the other.

• 2 years later...
JEM123 Newbie
Whenever I read about Celiac Disease, I always see a lot about bowel or digestive problems, maybe headaches, etc. But I don't see too much written about muscle pain. So I'd like to know how people here are doing with that? Me, I have extreme muscle pain. In fact, it's one of the first indicators I've ingested gluten within the past 24 hours, when my muscles start aching or cramping all over. What do people do about it? I take aspirin, or a warm bath. Sleep or bed rest is usually the only thing that will make it go away. That, and time!

Angel

I also have aches and pains especially in the knees, lower back and hips on a daily basis. If I should ingest gluten this pain intensifies something incredible. Aleves and other meds just take the edge off. I am convinced this is due to celiac disease. Has anyone found anything that helps? Also, does this go away after gluten-free for awhile? I have been gluten-free since Jan 07. I really appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Jem, I used to have excruciating muscle and joint pain. I now know that celiac disease is only part of the puzzle. I had to eliminate all lectins (gluten is one of those) and foods high in salicylates for most of the pain to be gone.

I used to be on codeine 24 hours a day, and now only rarely need painkillers (whenever I am glutened or have eaten something else I am intolerant to).

The lectins will cause intestinal distress, joint and back pain, buckling of my knees and ankles, and extreme fatigue.

The salicylates (Aspirin is the worst offender) will cause terrible muscle pain, and my skin will ache as well (I will feel like I am on fire).

Both will cause brain fog and depression.

If you want to know more, check the links in my signature. You may want to try if eliminating those foods will help your pain.

chatycady Explorer

I have had neck pain, pain between my shoulders, and low back pain. It has finally gone away. I also suffered from terrible leg cramps, and stomach cramps that would wrap around to my back. I have found that was caused by low blood pressure, a symptom of an allergic reaction. Is your blood pressure low after eating gluten?

Hope this helps! And hope your pain disappears as mine has!

Archived