This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Noodles & Co.

musicchick64

musicchick64 Rookie

I love Noodles & Co. And I think I hate them. I've been there twice since my diagnosis last April. Told them I couldn't have anything with gluten. The Manager always seemed to "get it".... I ordered the gluten free Pad Thai. Within a couple hours I was miserable. It happened again last night. Has anyone else had issues with them? I had read such good things about how they really cater to celiacs needs. I'm so disappointed which isn't helping me feel any better right now.

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

hm, i've never had a problem w/ them. i always say i have a very severe gluten allergy (seems to make it more "real"), and am very specific about having them cook in clean pans. hm, i don't know what to tell you. maybe go in and have a serious discussion w/ the manager...

just had another thought....could it be soy sauce? i know they use that black bottle w/ the red lid, can't think of the name, but i have seen it in the kitchen. i know it has gluten in it. wheat is the first ingredient. i'd ask if thats what they use in the pad thai.

musicchick64 Rookie
just had another thought....could it be soy sauce? i know they use that black bottle w/ the red lid, can't think of the name, but i have seen it in the kitchen. i know it has gluten in it. wheat is the first ingredient. i'd ask if thats what they use in the pad thai.

I didn't think that Pad Thai used soy sauce. I can ask. A friend was wondering if it was maybe that they boiled the noodles in a contaminated pan of water... Odd that it would happen twice. Maybe there is another allergy that I'm unaware of. Maybe one of the spices. I stay away from soy altogether now as I've read that it is hard on the thyroid. Sometimes this is really, really frustrating for me. *sigh*

All I know is that my tummy hurts! :(

sixtytwo Apprentice

Whenever I get the chance I eat at Noodles and Co. and order buttered rice noodles with chicken, tomatoes, broccoli and extra cheese. I have never had a problem. My granddaughter, who is very sensitive eats there and has pretty much the same thing and she does well too. Try changing your order and see what happens. Barbara

musicchick64 Rookie

My understanding is that the chicken is a no no because it has a soy sauce marinade on it. I could be wrong though.

• 2 weeks later...
mommy2two99 Newbie

I ate at a Noodles & Co. earlier this week in Bloomington, IL and it was great! I had the pad thai and the manager was very helpful in making sure they used fresh water and clean pans to reheat the noodles. It was great!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

yay mommy2two99!

how are you feeling musicchick64?

DarkIvy Explorer

Noodles used to be one of my standby choices for restaurants, but I've given up on them. I ate there a few times and got sick in August, and came to find out that they had changed their gluten-free menu. I'd ordered the pasta fresca (which used to be on the gluten-free menu) but was no longer, but no one bothered to tell me that even though I asked them to do the allergy aware thing and everything.

Now it seems the only things left are the pesto, pad thai, and buttered noodles. I was told none of the meats or tofu is safe anymore. Truthfully, I'm a bit disappointed with these changes. It's step backwards because now there are even fewer options than there was before, and all of the "good" stuff is not available to us. It'd be awesome if they'd make a gluten-free version of their mac and cheese, or bring back the pasta fresca... or anything. I don't even think their marinara was safe.

Archived