Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Going To Dermatologist

6 posts in this topic

Im going to the derm doc Monday cause i have DH and have had this since i was diganosed with Celiac last March and no one has been able to help me, I have sores in Mouth and get them on my back also, what can i expect when i go there and what do i need to tell him? thanks

Ads by Google:

Beware of costs. If your doctor wants to send a biopsy to a lab, be sure to inquire about the cost. My doc sent my biopsy to the Utah and I got a bill for about $600.

I have an HMO so costs weren't an issue. The dermatologist had me come in when I had actual blisters and he took biopsies of each of my elbows. I guess he took the samples from skin right around the lesions. I was using an ointment for the rash already but it didn't always work. When the DH biopsy came back positive he told me I had celiac disease and he could put me on Dapsone, but it has serious side effects. He told me the best cure was to be gluten-free and he wanted me to research the gluten-free diet on the internet. He set me up with a dietician and a GI dr also. I have learned that the rash comes and goes. There are times when I'm totally clear, and other times when I break out for several days and then it disappears again. I have been tempted to ask for the Dapsone, but I'm alread on thyroid medicine and I don't want to have my life revolve around medication for my various ailments! I rely on aveeno oatmeal baths (I know there's controversy about oatmeal- but it works!) and topical steroid ointments to calm down a flare up. Good luck at your appointment!

I had to go to 2 different docs this week cause the first one didnt even take a biopsy of the sores on my back and i didnt feel like he knew enough about DH, the 2nd doc did the bopsy of my back and i am waiting on the results, he is also drawing blood checking my thyroid and other things, i just want to get dapsone or some med that will actually help this out, i cant live with this condition forever.

try having the new doctor is town telling me that he knows very little about Celiac or DH. I know I have it..I have the clear fluid-ed pimple like things all over my chest and neck..I have it on my face and head...the mid to upper back is just little bumps..behind my knees it looks like I have mosquito bites..my elbow tips look like they are raw and cracked..I have the same bumps of my butt as I do on my back..

If that aint DH, I dont know what is ;)

~lisa~

I got a rash last October.I thought it was something caused from the chiggers i got earlier in the summer.Eight months later I was diagnosed celiac.That is when I learned what the rash was.I suffered 8 months.He gave me a prescription for lotrosone cream.It was a God send.It stopped the itching and helped heal.I won't be without it.Maybe it can help you too.