5 replies to this topic

#1 whitelacegal

whitelacegal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 09:55 AM

Im going to the derm doc Monday cause i have DH and have had this since i was diganosed with Celiac last March and no one has been able to help me, I have sores in Mouth and get them on my back also, what can i expect when i go there and what do i need to tell him? thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kvogt

kvogt

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 09:44 AM

Beware of costs. If your doctor wants to send a biopsy to a lab, be sure to inquire about the cost. My doc sent my biopsy to the Utah and I got a bill for about $600.

#3 Pegster

Pegster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 08:44 PM

I have an HMO so costs weren't an issue. The dermatologist had me come in when I had actual blisters and he took biopsies of each of my elbows. I guess he took the samples from skin right around the lesions. I was using an ointment for the rash already but it didn't always work. When the DH biopsy came back positive he told me I had celiac disease and he could put me on Dapsone, but it has serious side effects. He told me the best cure was to be gluten-free and he wanted me to research the gluten-free diet on the internet. He set me up with a dietician and a GI dr also. I have learned that the rash comes and goes. There are times when I'm totally clear, and other times when I break out for several days and then it disappears again. I have been tempted to ask for the Dapsone, but I'm alread on thyroid medicine and I don't want to have my life revolve around medication for my various ailments! I rely on aveeno oatmeal baths (I know there's controversy about oatmeal- but it works!) and topical steroid ointments to calm down a flare up. Good luck at your appointment!
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

#4 whitelacegal

whitelacegal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:34 AM

I had to go to 2 different docs this week cause the first one didnt even take a biopsy of the sores on my back and i didnt feel like he knew enough about DH, the 2nd doc did the bopsy of my back and i am waiting on the results, he is also drawing blood checking my thyroid and other things, i just want to get dapsone or some med that will actually help this out, i cant live with this condition forever.

#5 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:42 PM

try having the new doctor is town telling me that he knows very little about Celiac or DH. I know I have it..I have the clear fluid-ed pimple like things all over my chest and neck..I have it on my face and head...the mid to upper back is just little bumps..behind my knees it looks like I have mosquito bites..my elbow tips look like they are raw and cracked..I have the same bumps of my butt as I do on my back..
If that aint DH, I dont know what is ;)
~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#6 bratcat

bratcat

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:41 PM

I got a rash last October.I thought it was something caused from the chiggers i got earlier in the summer.Eight months later I was diagnosed celiac.That is when I learned what the rash was.I suffered 8 months.He gave me a prescription for lotrosone cream.It was a God send.It stopped the itching and helped heal.I won't be without it.Maybe it can help you too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: