Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Casein Intolerant And I Ate Cottage Cheese

7 posts in this topic

I am casein intolerant and have gone very light on the casein, but have not given it up completely. Last March I went gluten free and casein light. For the first time since March I ate cottage cheese. Only 1/2 cup. Within minutes my tongue was sore (geographic tongue) and today I have undereye bags, hand is numb, lump in throat, chest/back pressure, rapid pounding heart beat and cramping stomach (not intestines). Very same symptoms as when I was gluttened! Could the cottage cheese have done this? The only other possibility would be the egg drop soup (I gave in to a craving) I ate from the chinese place the day before yesterday. But what could that have in it? Anyone have ideas about casein symptoms? Are they the same as Gluten symptoms? :(

Thanks

Ads by Google:
I am casein intolerant and have gone very light on the casein, but have not given it up completely. Last March I went gluten free and casein light. For the first time since March I ate cottage cheese. Only 1/2 cup. Within minutes my tongue was sore (geographic tongue) and today I have undereye bags, hand is numb, lump in throat, chest/back pressure, rapid pounding heart beat and cramping stomach (not intestines). Very same symptoms as when I was gluttened! Could the cottage cheese have done this? The only other possibility would be the egg drop soup (I gave in to a craving) I ate from the chinese place the day before yesterday. But what could that have in it? Anyone have ideas about casein symptoms? Are they the same as Gluten symptoms? :(

Thanks

Casein symptoms can vary. You may think about getting testing done for casein. It sounds like you had a rather intense reaction.

I can tell you from experience that having a lot of casein after not having much can make you sick. I've been on a pretty much vegan diet for years, but had little bits of casein from time to time. (OK, the restaurant put parmesan cheese on my dish, I didn't send it back -- that sort of thing.) At Thanksgiving, I had a slice of cheesecake (this was before I tested as intolerant to casein). I was sick for a week.

Symptoms can vary. My gluten and casein reactions are similar. My soy reaction is subtle. My egg reaction is actually the worst of the bunch. But then people all seem to react in different ways.

However, you could be reacting to the egg drop soup. I googled for recipes and found some contain wheat flour for thickening. Also, could it have contained MSG? Some react rather strongly to that.

I hope you get feeling better.

Deletion of inexplicable double post ...

Edited by hathor

Are you sure the cottage cheese was gluten free? Not all brands are, from research I've done in the past. Also, could the soup have had MSG in it? Maybe that's another sensitivity (or the eggs themselves). Good luck - hope you feel better soon!

Are you sure the cottage cheese was gluten free? Not all brands are, from research I've done in the past. Also, could the soup have had MSG in it? Maybe that's another sensitivity (or the eggs themselves). Good luck - hope you feel better soon!

I was going to say the same thing.

"Word."

I am casein intolerant and have gone very light on the casein, but have not given it up completely.

Suz . . .gotta tell ya - I don't understand this at all.

Why not completely?

I've been 100% dairy-free for years and it's a breeze.

I DID recently find that goat cheese is fine for me. It seems pretty common for the casein-intolerant to really just have trouble w/ cow casein.

Every goat cheese I've tried has been fantastic, tho I'm only trying 'fresh' varieties, as opposed to 'aged', but that's due to a different problem w/ mold.