252 replies to this topic

#1 lauderdalehawk44

lauderdalehawk44

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 10:24 PM

I was just recently diagnosed with celiac and have been on my diet for about a week. I was just wondering if their are any famous people or celebrities that are known to have celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 06:14 PM

Amazingly, I can't think of anyone famous who has celiac disease (or at least admits to it)! You may already have heard this, but some experts strongly suspect that JFK had celiac disease, in addition to Addison's disease (another autoimmune condition, I believe) and maybe some other problems.
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#3 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 07:50 PM

Rich Gannon the football player has a daughter with Celiac. He does quite a few publicity things for the disease. You may have heard of Danielle's Decadent chocolate cake mix, it is named after his daughter.

Also Elizabeth Hasselback, new co-host on "The View" talkshow and also a Survivor contestant is possibly a Celiac. She has mentioned several things on air that lead people to believe that she is.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#4 lauderdalehawk44

lauderdalehawk44

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 09:59 PM

I had heard something about Rich Gannon I also heard that Joe C (the little guy pardon if I offend) who used to hang out with Kid Rock passed away from celiac disease.

#5 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 04:39 AM

You are very right, Joe C did have celiac disease. Here is a link about him: Joe C

-Jessica
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#6 calico jo

calico jo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:35 PM

Thanks for sharing that link, it was interesting. It says he succumbed to celiac disease. I really don't understand how he died from it, unless he didn't stop eating gluten. Can we die from this?

#7 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:18 AM

I would also like to know how he died from celiac... I have never heard of that. I know all about the complications cauzed by untreated celiac disease, and that some of them can be fatal, but never the celiac itself. I would guess that he had a few other issues in addition to the celiac.
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#8 Guest_PastorDave_*

Guest_PastorDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2004 - 04:46 PM

In regards to dying from Celiac's, it almost took my mother. If it goes undiagnosed, then eventually the body will stop absorbing nutrients. That's what the villi are for. My mom was literally starving to death, she even looked malnourished, was loosing her hair, bloated stomach, everything. I am so glad that her doctor finally got her on the right track, and she should live alot longer now that she is gluten-free. From all the research my wife (who is an RN) did, a Gluten Free diet is the only "cure" we need to avoid death. So it doesn't seem so bad when I think about how much I miss Subway sandwiches. :(

#9 rsavage

rsavage

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 01:44 PM

B) I was really looking forward to posts about celebs. However couldn't help but post a response. My mom and grandma passed away from celiac. It was never diagnosed. My mom died of dehydration. The intestine becomes so permable that water cannot be retained. My doctor had given up on me because I was in the hospital at least once a week w/dehydration. Lets get every celiac diagnosed and become celebs our selves. Lots of love, Royann

#10 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:36 PM

Yes Royann, We are a hardy bunch to survive our current medical system. I firmly believe my Paternal grandmother and several of my uncles had Celiac. Also, my Maternal grandfather died of liver cancer and never drank alcohol in his life. It seems the medical community really needs to catch up with diagnosing this disease in it's early stages, instead of just allocating us to the hypochondriacs of the world and dismissing us at first. It took them 50 years to diagnose me and the testing was my idea. If we could just get the press to put this disease to the forefront like diabetes, cancer, etc., perhaps it would help push forward early diagnosis and help heal a lot of people. Shirley

#11 Kim

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 07:54 AM

According to what I've read, the average time to diagnose celiac disease in the US is 11 years, in Europe, it's 3 weeks. So, I agree, we need to educate people, including the medical community.

There is apparently a radio talk show host in Chicago who is celiac disease as well, but I don't know that for a fact.

#12 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:27 AM

Hi All! Why would celebrities keep Celiac Disease a secret? It's not like it's a communicable disease nor would it be something that would keep them from getting work. On the contrary, it would keep them in the news as a positive thing , i.e., helping to work towards the good of average Joe celiac person. It would put Celiac Disease in the national forefront - more than any magazine article could. With celebrities being vegans, gluten free would be only another type of diet - much more serious than vegan diet, as that seems to be optional in life. All the celebrities have whims which means that there are things that they MUST have in their dressing rooms or they won't do the movie or show - why not a gluten free celeb? The time has come!
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#13 outthere39

outthere39

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 02:18 PM

I think that celiacs, though not communicable, may still make others feel uncomfortable. I personally see your point, but I can deifinitely see why others, celebs included, would not want the world to know. People, mostly due to ignorance, act strangely to what they do not know. That can attract unwanted attention. But I do believe as well that all caliacs must fight for us to get our messages across.
Richard
Wilmington, NC

#14 tbell48

tbell48

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 05:12 AM

Can you die from Celiac disease? My Doctor said no! But, if left untreated you can die from the diseases it causes.

The Villa is there to protect your organs from forming tumors and cysts. When the Villa is destroyed, then these tumors and cysts can grow and attach to vital organs, causing forms of cancer. Bowel, Thyroid, Lymphoma and etc. We believe this is how I lost my Mother and Sister, because they didn't know they had Celiac, and the Cancer was formed.

I have had cysts and tumors removed for the past 14 years, and finally found a new GI Doctor who knew what he was looking at. Hopefully, my prognoisis will be better as the years go on, as my Villa has almost been destroyed over my 55 years with Celiac .

I am not quoting text, or begin to know all the answers(Don't even know if this information is correct), just going by what the Doctor has related to me. I just know in 55 years of life, since starting the gluten-free diet, I am feeling alive once again!

Bless you all
Theresa

#15 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2004 - 07:38 AM

Theresa, My villa were also almost destroyed over the 53 years from my first symptoms of the dermatitis until I finally did almost die from malnutrition. In years past people did die from Celiac disease, because they could no longer digest food and everything just went right through. They simply did not know how to treat the problem and in some ways doctors still don't know how to treat the problem, because they cannot properly diagnose it. I'm glad you are feeling much better. Shirley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: