This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hershey's Chocolate

campcour

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

has anyone actually had a reaction to hershey kisses? I've been eating them with no prob...but now I'm mad b/c I read this after buying a whole bag..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I seldom eat chocolate, but I have never had a reaction to Hershey's kisses. I do eat them in small amounts occasionally.

Celiac 621554 Newbie
has anyone actually had a reaction to hershey kisses? I've been eating them with no prob...but now I'm mad b/c I read this after buying a whole bag..

My neighbor said he saw Hershey bars at the checkout at the bigY grocery stores, that specifically say GLUTEN FREE on the label.

Lisa Mentor
My neighbor said he saw Hershey bars at the checkout at the bigY grocery stores, that specifically say GLUTEN FREE on the label.

I have got to see this with my own eyes! <_<

schilds Newbie

Sept 8th, 2008

I logged on here, (I usually only do when there is a specific ques or problem) to report that I had a moderate reaction last night to the Hershey semi-sweet chips.

I've been gluten free for over a year and know exactly what I am ingesting when I eat at my house. I got "the reaction" that I know happens only when I eat something tainted, and it happened only after I ate the chips last night.

Just a warning. Not sure if it depends on what region you live in. I'm in SC, USA.

schilds Newbie

Sept 8th, 2008

I logged on here, (I usually only do when there is a specific ques or problem) to report that I had a moderate reaction last night to the Hershey semi-sweet chips.

I've been gluten free for over a year and know exactly what I am ingesting when I eat at my house. I got "the reaction" that I know happens only when I eat something tainted, and it happened only after I ate the chips last night.

Just a warning. Not sure if it depends on what region you live in. I'm in SC, USA.

schilds Newbie

Oops I just realized I was in the wrong forum. I'm in the US.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiac 621554 Newbie
I have got to see this with my own eyes! <_<

I know! I said the same thing! :lol: So, my husband checked, and what they had was tags that were added to the shelf labels, like they do in the deli, that said "gluten free" on them. As for me, for some reason, my body doesn't like Hershey's. Schaffenberger seems to be going okay for me though.

Lisa Mentor

From my experience:

You can read about a product that is gluten free on this site.*

You can look at a shelf label that states a product is gluten free.

You can learn from your cousin's second wife about a gluten free product.

You can trust a hourly paid customer service rep to inform you on a gluten free product.

You can order at a restaurant, because it is on a gluten free menu.

You eat things other than broccoli, carrots, apples, etc.

Until you do all of these things, you cannot be truly be certain that a product is gluten free. The risk is our responsibility alone. ;)

*most people who post product information on this site, have research before they qualify something as gluten free. A few make mistakes. ;)

• 1 month later...
kschauer Rookie

I thought Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar was safe, saw one for the first time here in Chile and so excited. Like a jack@ss started eating it - started feeling a bit funny and there it was plainly on the label. :angry:

Lisa Mentor
I thought Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar was safe, saw one for the first time here in Chile and so excited. Like a jack@ss started eating it - started feeling a bit funny and there it was plainly on the label. :angry:

k,

Bear in mind that ingredients and labeling laws vary from county to county. For instance, Campbell's Canada and Campbell's US have a totally different gluten free listing. Sometimes we do forget that we have an international forum. ;)

• 1 year later...
Sheri1974 Newbie

I am very disappointed in Hershey's. The only Hershey's products that are safe for people with celiac disease are their plain chocolates and jolly ranchers. They will not tell you, even if you call with the IPC number, if any product with natural flavors is gluten free. The phone reps don't have the information. This makes me really mad because I know I have called Hershey's multiple times, including just before Halloween, and I was told that they disclose gluten. However, the phone rep I spoke to said their natural flavor policy has been this way ever since she's worked for Hershey's--since August! I have given my son Reeses Peanut butter cups on numerous occasions! :angry:

I called Master Foods (Mars) and they still disclose gluten. As does Nestle and Wonka.

I got a Reese's McFlurry last night and withing 20 minutes of eating it, I was in extreme pain....I know it wasn't the ice cream or anything else I had eaten, so it had to be the candy....yet, I've seen over and over that it is supposed to be gluten-free. Can anyone get a definitive answer? I sure can't.

kareng Grand Master

I got a Reese's McFlurry last night and withing 20 minutes of eating it, I was in extreme pain....I know it wasn't the ice cream or anything else I had eaten, so it had to be the candy....yet, I've seen over and over that it is supposed to be gluten-free. Can anyone get a definitive answer? I sure can't.

They mix all the mix-ins with the same machine. If they have oreos or cookie dough as a mix-in, there could still be pieces of that left on the mixer arm or that metal top the put on the top of the cup.

• 7 months later...
Leah's Mom Rookie

They mix all the mix-ins with the same machine. If they have oreos or cookie dough as a mix-in, there could still be pieces of that left on the mixer arm or that metal top the put on the top of the cup.

Actually we were told by a McDonald's manager that there isn't cross-contamination issue . . . he said that big clear spoon with the hollow square end in your McFlurry fit's onto the mixing machine. Every McFurry has it's own stirer. We watched and that seemed to be the case. I would be more suspect of the Reeses Pieces. . . . Hershey has been very disapponting with there gluten-free disclosure.

• 11 months later...
jeanzdyn Apprentice

Thank God for Hershey's chocolate!! At least I don't have to give up everything!

-in Illinois, USA

Lisa Mentor

Thank God for Hershey's chocolate!! At least I don't have to give up everything!

-in Illinois, USA

Please remember that this tread was begun over seven years ago. Product information may have changed. But, I still refuse to buy Hersey Products because of their lack of concern for their patrons with food allergies.

garyheard Newbie

Hershey's DID NOT move their plant to MEXICO. They moved it to CHINA.

I am NOT comfortable with that. I don't think CHINA really cares about our health or regulations on this side of the planet.

Here's the link stating the move.... Open Original Shared Link

Regards,

Gary

mushroom Proficient

I am NOT comfortable with that. I don't think CHINA really cares about our health or regulations on this side of the planet.

Regards,

Gary

Your link does not report about moving production from the U.S.; it talks about opening a production plant in China to serve the Asian market. It is a joint venture with Lotte, which in turn will be able to distribute its products in the U.S.

• 4 months later...
Katie C. Newbie

According to the Hershey website today (June 2012), they list the Hershey's milk chocolate bars only in the 1.55 oz. size as being safe. What about the mini ones I used for s'mores last night? Now my daughter is very sick. I checked the ingredients list last night, and additionally knew that Hershey Bars were safe. Well, it appears they are aware of cross contamination on all other bars not 1.55 oz. size. How frustrating! Below is pasted the gluten-free list from their website - the part about the Hershey Milk Chocolate Bars. There are many other bars listed as safe.

"HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Bar

HERSHEY'S

Milk Chocolate Bar (1.55oz only)

HERSHEY'S

Milk Chocolate with Almonds Bar (1.45oz only)"

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Regards,

Gary

This is completely wrong Gary...please don't come on this site and post rumors. Hershey's moved one of their plants to Mexico. As it was stated, your link talks about opening a production plant in China to serve the Asian market.

kareng Grand Master

This is completely wrong Gary...please don't come on this site and post rumors. Hershey's moved one of their plants to Mexico. As it was stated, your link talks about opening a production plant in China to serve the Asian market.

You might notice that "Gary" came on here only once and it was to make this incorrect post. :unsure:

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I noticed that. Must just have something against Hershey's!

Archived