46 replies to this topic

#16 dbmamaz

dbmamaz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:27 AM

This makes me so sad! I grew up in PA and went to Hershy Park a few times - Hershey was the home-town chocolate. I always tried to avoid buying Nestles, becuase they had awful practices with a formula-company they owned, giving free samples to third-world moms, who's milk would dry up, and then they couldnt afford the formula, so they'd water it down with unclean water ... . and they didnt stop after it was exposed. So i'm so sad about Hersheys going down hill!
Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4
Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07
A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods
Celiac panel came back negative.
Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.
Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:41 AM

As many have noted, Hershey will NOT disclose the source of their "Natural Flavors" due to it being outsources and they consider that information "Propriety" and not subject to disclosure.

ALL of Hershey products that contain "Natural Flavor" are NOT considered gluten free, as per the company's customer service supervisor.

Pity <_<

Hershey should be removed for the company safe list of those who will clearly disclose.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#18 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:55 AM

et tu Hershey?

I'd pay the 80 cents for a Hershey 's candy bar if it was made in US and I knew it was gluten free.
However, I have to say that their chocolate quality has dipped in the last few years....their product tastes waxy.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#19 Joni63

Joni63

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:37 AM

et tu Hershey?

I'd pay the 80 cents for a Hershey 's candy bar if it was made in US and I knew it was gluten free.
However, I have to say that their chocolate quality has dipped in the last few years....their product tastes waxy.

The taste has changed a lot in the past few years. What happened to the creamy milk chocolate I used to remember as a child?
Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07

#20 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 03:59 AM

There is a horrible after taste too....
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#21 Annaem

Annaem

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

I have read on here many times that all kinds of hershey's chocolate bars are safe, for example: eat more, oh henry, reese's peanut butter cups, and hte list goes on and on. But i wanted to contact hershey's to make sure and when i phoned she said she could mail me the list of gluten-free hershey products. So i was excited... until i got the list yesturday which lists "chipits - semi sweet baking chocolate, hershey chocolate syryp, hershy kisses chocolate, hershy milk choc. bar and milk choc. bar with almonds, and jolly rancher hard candy." This is great to have some things, but now I am wondering if all those other hershey products are not safe. I am wondering if anyone can shed any light on this from what they know or have researched. Thanks :)

I got the same response last year and i am also from canada....

#22 Nanjkay

Nanjkay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:00 PM

As many have noted, Hershey will NOT disclose the source of their "Natural Flavors" due to it being outsources and they consider that information "Propriety" and not subject to disclosure.

ALL of Hershey products that contain "Natural Flavor" are NOT considered gluten free, as per the company's customer service supervisor.

Pity <_<

Hershey should be removed for the company safe list of those who will clearly disclose.

I know i am late to this thread...but just to be clear in my nervous head (I get no gluten reaction whatsoever, it is a silent killer for me, so I have to go by labeling only to know if there is gluten in something):

If we read the label on a Hershey's product and it does not list "natural flavors" or any other gluten derivatives of course, can we consider it safe? In other words the only thing Hershey's is not being held accountable on is the "natural flavors'?

Sorry, but I try to be as specific as possible otherwise I can be a nervous wreck. The Hershey's products I was eating until I read this thread of course, did not have "natural flavors" listed.

Thanks-

Nancy
Hip surgeries for chronic pain in glute muscles -1989
Sciatica and hip pain - 1991-1993, diagnosed with fibromyalgia - 1993
Diagnosed with Grave's disease - 1995, radioactive iodine - 1996
Gained 60 lbs., depression, low energy, terrible PMS - 1997-2000, diagnosed with PCOS - 2001
Diagnosed with Endometriosis - 2004
Stopped working from severe dizziness, eye pain and fatigue - Thanksgiving 2006
Diagnosed with Vestibular Neuritis caused by Fibromyalgia - 2007
Gluten free - September 2007

Diagnosed with Lyme, Babesia and possibly Bartonella - June 2008

#23 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:08 PM

As you know, Hershey US would be required by law to list wheat if an ingredient. Barley, malt and rye can be hidden in "Natural Flavors", or specific . This is not to say that Hershey products that do have "natural flavors" may be gluten free, but they refuse to clarify it's gluten status.
Lisa

#24 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

I'm hearing a lot of extranious issues that have nothing to do with gluten-free or not gluten-free.

My take on Hershey's. I will occasionally eat a Reeses peanut butter cup (with some hot buttered microwave popcorn), and I also use a little Hershey's syrup in my chocolate milk. Other than that, they've really got no other products I'm interested in.

I like Snickers, Butterfingers, and Almond Roca.

If there's no gluten listed in the ingredients, I don't worry about it.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#25 amber

amber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

Hershey - chocolate only an American could love. :P

#26 LuvMoosic4life

LuvMoosic4life

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:09 PM

has anyone actually had a reaction to hershey kisses? I've been eating them with no prob...but now I'm mad b/c I read this after buying a whole bag..

#27 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

I seldom eat chocolate, but I have never had a reaction to Hershey's kisses. I do eat them in small amounts occasionally.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 Celiac 621554

Celiac 621554

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

has anyone actually had a reaction to hershey kisses? I've been eating them with no prob...but now I'm mad b/c I read this after buying a whole bag..

My neighbor said he saw Hershey bars at the checkout at the bigY grocery stores, that specifically say GLUTEN FREE on the label.

#29 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

My neighbor said he saw Hershey bars at the checkout at the bigY grocery stores, that specifically say GLUTEN FREE on the label.

I have got to see this with my own eyes! <_<
Lisa

#30 schilds

schilds

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

Sept 8th, 2008

I logged on here, (I usually only do when there is a specific ques or problem) to report that I had a moderate reaction last night to the Hershey semi-sweet chips.

I've been gluten free for over a year and know exactly what I am ingesting when I eat at my house. I got "the reaction" that I know happens only when I eat something tainted, and it happened only after I ate the chips last night.

Just a warning. Not sure if it depends on what region you live in. I'm in SC, USA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: