This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Law Enforcement?

rvagirl

rvagirl Rookie

Hey y'all, I'm new here and was just wondering if anyone here has a career in the field of law enforcement? I'm a full time college student and have wanted to be a police officer my entire life. I'm just worried that since I'm sick a lot because of Celiac, if any of y'all that are in the field would know if I should look for a different career path. I've talked to a few officers that are friends of mine or friends of my family, and I've received mixed reactions. I think the reason for this is that they don't experience these symptoms, so they're not sure exactly what goes on with it. So, if any of y'all could help me out with this, I'd GREATLY appreciate it! I'm double majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology, just so I'll have a backup in case being an officer doesn't work out. Thanks again in advance!

-Emily

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Hey Emily,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't see any reason why having Celiac would keep you from pursuing your career.

Once you have mastered the diet, I can see no limitations. Just find some gluten free donuts with your coffee when you are doing the 4-12.

Lisa Mentor

oops double post.

Guhlia Rising Star

We have a Celiac police officer in our town. I don't know him personally, but I do know that he's been on the force for quite some time.

Shotzy1313 Apprentice

Dont let this stop you from doing what you want to do. That just makes it worse... I think that should be the case with everyone here... Unless the career is like centered around gluten lol

kbtoyssni Contributor

I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to have a career in law enforcement. Or a career in anything. Yes, you may need to take sick days, but you'd have to do that in any job. Once you get the diet down, you shouldn't need to take off too often. The only thing I can think is that if you are just a bit sick, you might be able to make an arrangement to do more paperwork those days rather than being out in the field.

rvagirl Rookie

Thank y'all a lot for your help. This group really is an excellent and helpful place. It's so nice to know that there are so many others who have the same health issues going on who can commiserate!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Once you are on the force it should not be a problem. For one thing once you get a good handle on the diet and you are healed you should not be getting sick as often but that does take time. The one thing you may find is problematical is if the force has a 'boot camp' type of training. They may find it an issue because of your need for different food from the rest of your training unit. You may also have an issue if celiac has impacted you neurologically and you have years of mental effects like depression and anxiety in your medical records but if you can show that these were caused by the celiac and have resolved you may be able to get a waiver.

rvagirl Rookie

Nope, I don't have any recorded history of any neurological/mental issues, but I do have a 14 year history of unexplained chest pains. I've been to several different cardiologists and my heart has been ruled out as a cause, but a pulmonologist wrote in my records that I have asthma and placed me on meds. for it for several months only to find out that I don't actually have asthma. But, I'm just not sure because the cops I've talked to (including my dad, who's Federal law enforcement) have all said that they're not sure that I would be ruled out, but they have told me that even if I get hired, I have to realize that I could be putting myself in danger because of the health issues. I'm also pretty small, so that might be another strike against me. But, I'm still going to try; the worst they can do is say no, in which case I'll move to plan B- continue my education and obtain a PhD in clinical psychology and work at a Veterans hospital helping the soldiers with PTSD. At least that way I won't be out in the field and endangering myself and others.

DestinyLeah Apprentice

There is hope! There is always hope.

You can be a police officer, and in the event you get too ill to work the field for a while, they can give you something else to do for a week or so while you recoop. I wanted to be a baker for the armed forces, but can't join due to dietary restrictions. I was told if it was important to me to help, I could join the peace corps or the police. :D

I can also be a baker :P My goal is to start a special needs bakery. Maybe one day I'll be making gluten free donuts for cops on the late shift?

Haha, or bread for the Air Force and Army!

~Destiny

It rained over my rain boots?!

loco-ladi Contributor
Just find some gluten free donuts with your coffee when you are doing the 4-12.

OK, i know its a bad thing to generalize that ALL police officers eat doughnuts... but thx for making me laugh! :D

Where I grew up we had a very few officers, and they all LOVED their doughnuts, got so big from them they had to stop buying cars and go to 4x4's! I got the shock of seeing one of them try to "chase" a suspect once, ohhh that didnt turn out so well, for the officer that is.

rvagirl Rookie

haha, yeah I also thought that was amusing! And I absolutely love doughnuts, too! What a waste! Several months back, I decided to be bold and ate like 5 doughnuts over the course of 3 days. I was sick for a month it seemed, but man was it worth it! And baking some gluten free doughnuts would be a very lucrative business, I believe- I know I'd order some every week! This board is such a positive thing, I'm so glad that I discovered it! Y'all are great and it's so nice of y'all to share your experiences and be so positive. Thank you. This is such a wonderful little community!

Also, this is way off topic, but DestinyLeah- I noticed your signature says you have ovarian cysts and are unable to carry a child. I've had ovarian cysts for about 6 years, and have been on the pill for them ever since. My OBGYN has never really mentioned not being able to have children, but then again, I've never really asked. How do you find that out, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you.

DestinyLeah Apprentice

It is a combination of the cysts and endometriosis, and severe damage from treatments and infection. They say I could try, but that I would likely have a miscarriage very early on, or severe hemorrhaging later in the pregnancy.

I'm not sure I would ever want to get my hopes up.

loco-ladi Contributor

when I first found out I would never have children I blamed my 1st husband..... after finding out about some of the symptoms it may not have been ALL his fault, the celiac may have been partly to blame, just they each caused their own damage and that leaves me with alot of nieces and nephews who think I am awesome. It also leaves my current husband childless, it took me years to be able to deal with it, I have helped him where I could but I know he would like to be a father one day, maybe we will find a nice celiac baby to adopt :rolleyes:

Archived