This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Take Communion?

dandelionmom

dandelionmom Enthusiast

Background: My daughter was diagnosed this summer. After I started following the diet along with her, I've found my "stomach problems" have gone away entirely (even my severe lactose intolerance).

Anyway, I've been skipping Communion until this week when I took it at my Gramma's funeral mass. I seemed to be okay after it. And it got me wondering if people still take communion or not.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

This topic has been discussed many times and often with controversy.

Different Christian churches have different faiths on the requirements for a valid host. The Roman Catholic Church requires that it contain wheat. Some other Christian denominations have a different belief. According to Catholic teaching, you can receive the Lord's supper in either form and are not required to receive both. So you could receive from the cup without the wafer. Low gluten content wafers are available that meet the requirements of the Roman Catholic church. It is up to you whether you wish to use them, but your priest should accept them as valid.

These are the options as I understand them. I am an Anglican (Episcopalian) and so my belief in the Communion is similar to that of the Roman Catholic Church. Since my diagnosis, I have eschewed the bread of heaven and partaken only of the cup of salvation, and then only at the front of the line before it becomes contaminated from the bread.

My perspective--yours will differ. Please don't start another fight here about which religion is right and which is wrong. Each of us believe what we do, and for each of us, that is what is right. Respect our beliefs even if yours are different.

Ursa Major Collaborator

I also just take the wine. I am sure God understands. :)

horsegirl Enthusiast

I talked to my pastor about it, who at first wanted me to take "just a tiny bit" of the wheat wafer but I told him I couldn't. So, I ordered a box of allergen-free wafers from Ener-G, & keep them in the sacristy at church. Before communion, I place one on the altar next to the plate of wafers, & the pastor blesses them along with the other wafers & the wine. It's been working beautifully, & I havn't noticed any problems of any type.

Good luck!

Ridgewalker Contributor

Actually there was another thread about this started just a couple days ago that had a few responses as well. I think it was titled, Random, I know-- in the Coping With section.

It doesn't surprise me that it keeps coming up. After all, it's an important aspect of some Celiacs' lives. I've seen a few threads about it, and haven't seen any fighting so far. :unsure: Maybe there was before my time.

-Sarah

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

This question came up last night at one of our marriage prep classes. I am catholic but I haven't taken communion since before I got sick. I just have not been to church regularly and really did not join a new church when I left my hometown.

Anyway-I am marrying in a Russian Orthodox church, and communion is no longer part of the service, just the sharing of the wine between myself and John. I was relieved to hear that but the priest who is young and I really like him was very direct with, it shouldn't matter if there is wheat in it, it is the bread of christ. I felt backed against a wall. Since I am not a member of their church I am not sure how the whole communion thing goes but I guess I'll cross this bridge another time....

missy'smom Collaborator

I am very fortunate that I go to a very small church that lets me bake the bread, so it's gluten-free communion for everyone even though I am the only one with celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
I am very fortunate that I go to a very small church that lets me bake the bread, so it's gluten-free communion for everyone even though I am the only one with celiac disease.

That is very neat :)

CraigN Newbie

I order mine from the Benedictine Sisters from Clyde, Missouri. They are, I believe, the only ones that are approved by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops to be consumed during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

dandelionmom Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions! Sorry I didn't know this had been asked before or that it was controversial! I'll be more careful about what I post! :)

CarlaB Enthusiast
it shouldn't matter if there is wheat in it, it is the bread of christ.

Just so long as you know it has wheat in it, you don't really need to get into a theological discussion with the pastor. You can believe it's tuly the Body of Christ and still believe it retains the physical characteristics and properties of bread.

Dandelionmom, we're here to answer questions like this ... no need to not ask a question! :)

jmd3 Contributor

No, No, No, I do not take communion anymore :o( , and I am Roman Catholic. Before I was diagnosed and I was in and out of the hospital so much I was taking communion every time I was in the hospital. Then during the night, I couldn't sleep, my blood felt like it was burning, and I was constantly telling the nurses - "I feel like I was poisoned" I was sick, sick sick after having communion.

Now, when I am in church, when we say the prayer - "only say the word and I shall be healed" - well, I feel that I am not suppose to have it....( I overlook the first part of the prayer that states " Lord, I am not worthy to receive you...." ) I get way to sick when I take communion, and unfortunately can not have it anymore.

It has been a very hard adjustment in church, but I know that God understands.

Luisa2552 Apprentice

Early on with my diagnosis it didn't even occur to me to not take communion. Then as usual these boards clued me in to why I may not be feeling better yet. Communion was one of them. For a while I just went through the communion line and crossed my arms over my chest and received a blessing from the priest. Then I finally spoke with him. He told me our archdiocese(sp?) requires the host to be made out of wheat. We spoke of just drinking from the cup but I explained cc problems with him (at my church it's impossible to be first in line as they serve the disabled, choir and altar servers first) So what they do for me is have this little glass chalice of my own and put a small amount of wine in it. It's blessed on the altar with the rest, then it's given to the choir director. I then go to the side and receive the blood of Christ from him. The first time I did this after many months of not receiving communion was a very rewarding experience. My preist tells me that receiving just the wine is recieving the full sacrament, as is if you just get a blessing.

Still though, I am more than a litte upset that our Roman Catholic diocese takes the stance that the wafers have to have wheat in it and it seems that others are ok with it. As posted before, it shouldn't matter. When I searched these boards for information on this subject I ran accross posts from a Roman Catholic priest in Australia with Celiac. There were some great discussions if you want to search those threads.

Yellow Rose Explorer

My husband is a deacon in the Roman Catholic Church and we have had several discussions with our priest on this matter since I am the one with cealic. After testing positive for the antibodies I have deceided to abstain from the body of Christ even though the sisters have assured me that the communion wafer that they make has all the wheat protien taken out. Since it is made with only wheat starch and water I don't see how that is possible. I don't take a chance as I don't ever want to be glutened again. My last glutening was a month ago and was done by the priest. I couldn't figure out how it happened since I was first in line for the blood of Christ. Last week I saw him dust off his fingers into the commuinon cups after breaking the body. Usually he only dusts off in the big chalice that he drinks from. So my husband went on line and ordered a small vial that would usually hold anointing oil and our priest will be blessing that when he blesses the blood. The question of why it must have wheat in the Roman Catholic Church is because that is what the passover bread was made from in Jesus time. Richard looked it up on the Vatican web site for any one who wants to know about it.

Yellow Rose

CarlaB Enthusiast

Here's the link to the Roman Catholic teaching ... and it is all diocese in the world that require wheat. www.nccbuscc.org/liturgy/celiasprue.shtml

Here's the link on the Benedictine sisters low gluten wafers that are approved by the Catholic Church. www.benedictinesisters.org/english/site.php?use=low_gluten

sparkles Contributor

It seems to me that sometimes the rites of religion get in the way of God. In my old church (Lutheran), I used to help serve communion and prepare the communion table. I felt very privileged to be a part of this sacrament. Communion has always been very special to me. When I found out I had celiac disease, I felt like I had lost a very important part of my faith when I realized that I was no longer able to partake of the bread. I talked to my pastor. He offered me the choice of substituting a gluten-free bread that I could bring with me to the altar or just being "blessed by a short prayer." I know that Lutherans view Communion differently than Catholics...and that gluten-free bread is not an option.... but I guess that I feel that this sacrament is between myself and God with the Pastor or Priest acting as an intermediary. I know that God understands. I won't go to Hell because I refused the "body" of Christ. Jesus is already inside me. I believe.... no matter what kind of Christianity we proclaim to be our own.... faith boils down to one simple thing... belief in Jesus. "I am the Way...." You are probably not going to change what others believe about communion but you do have to do what is in your best interest healthwise. I hope that you are able to come to terms with this issue. I still miss taking the bread during communion but like I said before, Jesus is already a part of me... He is in me. I don't become a "better" believer because I take the bread....

Joni63 Collaborator

This is a great topic. I have to tell a funny story about communion.

A couple weeks ago was the first time I ended up being at church during communion since my diagnosis. We only take it once a month. I also teach Childrens Church on a rotating basis and had to take the children up with me to communion. For whatever reason I hadn't thought about not taking communion or taking it or that it was even bread. I panicked when the Pastor said "take and eat the bread" and did not know what to do. All these children were there with me and I didn't want to be a bad example and not do it so I faked it. Yep, I pretended to take the bread and eat it. What a terrible feeling I had after it was over. I never even thought about it ahead of time. Now I know I need to talk to my Pastor and work out what we need to do. I hope none of the children saw that I pretended. Of course they (the 3 to 5 year olds) always eat at least 4 or 5 pieces if they can, lol.

Yellow Rose Explorer

Here is the site that my husband provided for me.

Open Original Shared Link

These are the Canons which cover the substance.

ARTICLE 3: THE RITES AND CEREMONIES OF THE EUCHARISTIC CELEBRATION

Can. 924

home-based-mom Contributor

This is an entry from my blog that I posted a couple of weeks ago. I did not know the topic had ever come up here!

Tale of Kindness

My church serves Communion on the first Sunday of every month. The unleavened bread (probably matzo ~ looks like an unsalted cracker) is laden with gluten.

The family responsible for preparing the Communion items has been gracious enough to go to Trader Joe's and buy gluten-free rice crackers for those like me who are gluten intolerant.

I did not ask them to do this - they just do.

I am grateful.

Nowhere in scripture (that I have seen anyway) does it say or even imply that the bread you break and eat must contain wheat. As salvation is based on grace alone through faith in Christ alone, I can't see that the ingredients of the bread you break and eat have all that much significance.

I realize that others are taught and believe differently, but that's my 2 cents into this discussion!

CarlaB Enthusiast
]Nowhere in scripture (that I have seen anyway) does it say or even imply that the bread you break and eat must contain wheat. As salvation is based on grace alone through faith in Christ alone, I can't see that the ingredients of the bread you break and eat have all that much significance.

I realize that others are taught and believe differently, but that's my 2 cents into this discussion!

I appreciate your opinion, though I do not agree with it. Your church is very compassionate in that it goes out of its way to help you with your gluten intolerance.

Theological discussions have a VERY BAD history on this website as many of us do not share the same beliefs as you or as each other. People don't like being told you think their religion/faith is wrong.

Though I am not a moderator, I thought I'd just point out that we've had a bad history here when theology enters into this type of discussion. :)

Lisa Mentor
I appreciate your opinion, though I do not agree with it. Your church is very compassionate in that it goes out of its way to help you with your gluten intolerance.

Theological discussions have a VERY BAD history on this website as many of us do not share the same beliefs as you or as each other. People don't like being told you think their religion/faith is wrong.

Though I am not a moderator, I thought I'd just point out that we've had a bad history here when theology enters into this type of discussion. :)

As a moderator, religion does seem to create some volatile discussions on this forum, a bit ironic. It is best for ALL to keep religious beliefs private and to stay on topic.

home-based-mom Contributor

A thousand pardons if I offended anyone. After reading every post I honestly believed what I said was on topic. I only meant to offer hope and encouragement to anyone struggling with the issue spiritually, emotionally, or physically. If anyone took it any other way, I am truly sorry.

Lisa Mentor
A thousand pardons if I offended anyone. After reading every post I honestly believed what I said was on topic. I only meant to offer hope and encouragement to anyone struggling with the issue spiritually, emotionally, or physically. If anyone took it any other way, I am truly sorry.

Sandi,

You did not offend anyone. :)

michelleL Apprentice

I don't. During a Roman Catholic service, I just remain in my seat and take a mental communion, and for a Greek Orthodox service, I join the others in line to get a piece of bread, and then I give it to my husband to eat...

Archived