Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Could Depression/anxiety Issues Be Due To Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

37 replies to this topic

#16 geokozmo

geokozmo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:04 AM

[quote name='frec' date='Oct 19 2007, 07:43 AM' post='354393']
Why don't mainstream doctors KNOW these things?!
I wonder too. But maybe we who do know (now, after years or decades of suffering) that gluten has an effect on the brain (and on the psyche) we shd start some kind of testing...especially among addictive people who are non-glutensensitive. because if it wd turn out that their addictions (cravings) diminish, that it would be an important discovery. I imagine that many people with no gluten-sensitivity (but clear addictive symptoms) would find relief from cravings (and underlying depression).

geokozmo

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 catlovesdi

catlovesdi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:23 AM

Hi,

I've had mild depression/anxiety issues most of my life and I wonder if it could possibly be due to gluten? I just started a gluten-free diet to see if that solves my problems and I feel really crappy today. It was so similar to when I've tried giving up caffeine that I'm 99% positive it's withdrawal symptoms. In addition, I have had insomnia issues since at least high school. Could they be linked to gluten addiction? And about how long into the diet should I expect to see improvement?

I am a Celiac. When I started the diet, I just felt better and better.
There is no scientific evidence for the so called gluten addiction. There are no double blind research studies. All the stories are anctedotal.

Gluten is in Wheat, Rye, Barley, and (thru cross contamination) Oats. You have to eliminate everything that contains even traces of these four before you are truly on a gluten free diet. You are probably feeling poorly because you have only eliminated some of the gluten in your diet.
You have to be an expert at reading labels.

You also have to make your home totally gluten-free. If you ever cooked with flour, a coating of flour remains on top of the sugar, you breath it in from the air, get it from the cosmetics, hand creams, hair sprays, shampoos, and on and one.

It is not as simple as never eating wheat again.

Try reading some books about Celiac disease. You will feel better once you eliminate all gluten from your home.

Oh yeah, you can no longer walk into donut shops or drink coffe because their cups become coated with gluten.

Good luck.

#18 catlovesdi

catlovesdi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:26 AM

Hi,

I've had mild depression/anxiety issues most of my life and I wonder if it could possibly be due to gluten? I just started a gluten-free diet to see if that solves my problems and I feel really crappy today. It was so similar to when I've tried giving up caffeine that I'm 99% positive it's withdrawal symptoms. In addition, I have had insomnia issues since at least high school. Could they be linked to gluten addiction? And about how long into the diet should I expect to see improvement?

Sorry, got a little off topic. This is a complex issue. The depression from gluten poisoning comes from your intestines failing to absorb nutrition vital to brain function.

Once you get on a totally gluten-free diet, your brain will get the nutrition it needs and these problems will improve.

#19 mastiffmommy

mastiffmommy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

100% YES. Long story short, my Gluten Intolerance triggered a severe magnesium deficiency which wreaked havoc on my mind and body. - and regular Drs. do the wrong blood tests for it so even if you came back with "normal levels" it might not be the case. Keep it up if and see your Dr. for good supplements - ask about magnesium. (Over the counter CVS ones can rreally give you the runs if you take too much so careful but they are a start.) It took me about a month to really notice a difference and each month after is just amazing. I had no idea that you were supposed to feel like this! Here - see if anything here rings a bell under symptoms: http://www.mbschacht...um_to_human.htm Good Luck!

#20 newburyport

newburyport

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:48 AM

wow good post.

i was an terribly anxious child, just terrified of everything. when i got into college i had major panic attacks and have had 2 two-year periods in my life of being on anti-depressants. the first round helped in 2000, later in 2005 the drugs made me into a zombie (slow moving, lack of personality, just droning along) and also made me consider suicide quite a few times.

all through college i was diagnosed with unexplained chronic fatigue, anemia, they thought i had MS, lyme disease, mono etc. - i was sent to neurologists, many doctors. not once did anyone ask about diet (pasta bagels and coffee! yeah college).

after removal of gluten from my diet less than 2 months ago, i have seen remarkable disappearances of all kinds of weird symptoms including the anxiety! i feel totally different, not on edge all the time. it is amazing. it took about a month of carb cravings followed by a few weeks of sugar cravings ( i was never into candy before) and finally i feel so levelled out. i am still getting used to it.

also, i finally got tested for vitamin D - it's low!, and am taking supplements finally :)

hugs,
newburyport!

#21 tygwyn

tygwyn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

I know that this is a really old post/thread... but I just wanted to hi-light this again. This has made me feel so much better today. I have been gluten free for a week now and my anxiety has been pretty bad the last 3 days. Reading this was exactly what I needed... thanks for sharing :)

I began to have symptoms of Celiac over 20 years ago--of course at the time no one knew what the problem was. It was at this time that my panic attacks started. I had those, along with anemia and nausea for years.

When the disease kicked into high gear after a nasty case of the flu, the anxiety worsened and I began to be depressed. I would stay in bed for hours at a time during the day. I din't want to go anywhere or see anyone outside my husband and sons.

When I began the gluten-free diet, it got worse before it got better--and it took around 18 months for me to really come out completely from under the anxiety. It's been over 2 years now, and I haven't had a panic attack since I went gluten-free and except for when I get accidently glutened, the depression and anxiety are gone.

It's so nice to wake up and actually look forward to the day again! I was sick for many years, so I think that's why it took so long for me to really feel better.

It's something that gradually improves.

#22 rebe09

rebe09

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Going gluten-free has changed the way I feel mentally and emotional dramatically! I have dealt with sadness, depression, and anxiety for a couple years now and have struggled to overcome it. I went gluten-free for other reasons, but noticed a change in my behaviors not too long after I went gluten-free. When I accidentally get in touch with gluten food, my behaviors make a 180 and I am crabby, irritable, sad, etc... YES! Their is truth to linking a gluten-free diet to better mentality and emotionally intact.
Becca

#23 tygwyn

tygwyn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

Great to hear that rebe thanks :) I'm still struggling today and just desperate to get over this stage! 8 days Gluten free now...

Going gluten-free has changed the way I feel mentally and emotional dramatically! I have dealt with sadness, depression, and anxiety for a couple years now and have struggled to overcome it. I went gluten-free for other reasons, but noticed a change in my behaviors not too long after I went gluten-free. When I accidentally get in touch with gluten food, my behaviors make a 180 and I am crabby, irritable, sad, etc... YES! Their is truth to linking a gluten-free diet to better mentality and emotionally intact.

#24 Evangeline

Evangeline

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

If anyone here has removed gluten from their diet but still struggles with depression -- keep in mind soy is a HUGE cause too. This includes soy lecithin and ANY traces of soy. Another food is corn -- and corn is in MILLIONS of items (google: "Corn Allergy" and check out the list of items). Another one is tomatoes and nightshades. But SOY is the MOST COMMON!!!!!!

#25 badlass

badlass

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:29 AM

reading this thread is very encouraging! I've been diagnosed as mentally ill for almost half my life and am just now on the way to being diagnosed as celiac. I'm known as being medication resistant because meds have never helped my mental health symptoms. I'm so excited to go gluten free and see if it helps! thus could be a real lifesaver - literally!

question: how long did it take for your symptoms to go away?? what symptoms did you get from gluten withdrawal?

#26 costellosfriend

costellosfriend

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

reading this thread is very encouraging! I've been diagnosed as mentally ill for almost half my life and am just now on the way to being diagnosed as celiac. I'm known as being medication resistant because meds have never helped my mental health symptoms. I'm so excited to go gluten free and see if it helps! thus could be a real lifesaver - literally!

question: how long did it take for your symptoms to go away?? what symptoms did you get from gluten withdrawal?

Hi badlass:

I'd be interested in hearing how the diet works for you. My son is dx'd with sz. We've been trying the gluten-free diet to see if it helps. We started March 16, but we've had some set backs. So far the longest we've managed to go without an accidental glutening is 8 or 9 days. He says the diet helps but can't specify in what way. He does seem to sleep better and have less anxiety.

Good luck to you.

#27 kathleenp

kathleenp

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

Wow-the link with the symptoms of magnesium deficiency is eye opening. I have quite a few of those symptoms...

#28 Hamster101

Hamster101

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, just want to add my experience in here.

When I was eating wheat before I realised what was causing my symptoms, I was a very neurotic individual, easily disturbed and plagued with nightmares. I was also an insomniac, and as such I was very unwell. Even with sleeping pills I was constantly depressed and very negative.

I could safely say there was a connection between wheat consumption and depression for me.
Dairy free: May '10
Gluten free: October '10

"When life gives you lemons, but you wanted lemonade, don't give up. Your dream is still possible, and it will be so much sweeter made with your own hands."

#29 RosieRose

RosieRose

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hi everyone.

I was just recently diagnosed with gluten intolerance. Before that, I have had a diagnosis for depression, anxiety, and social phobia. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Have your mental health concerns gotten better, or even gone away? I have heard people say that gluten intolerance/Celiac's can cause anxiety and depression, but I do not know if my anxiety and depression are gluten intolerance related or if they are due to chemical imbalances.

Thanks!

#30 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

I would put my money on gluten :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009