Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Could Depression/anxiety Issues Be Due To Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

37 replies to this topic

#31 peeptoad

peeptoad

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:14 AM

I am not a diagnosed celiac, but at the very least I have a sensitivity to gluten (no full diagnostics were ever done though). I just did a trial gluten-free diet for 2 months and then re-introduced gluten and about 5 days into the glutening I was starting to feel depressed. I have a history of mild depression (as well as insomnia) from childhood, but have not felt depressed in years, so I was a little taken aback when this happened last week. It wasn't just mild either. I felt like I could barely drag myself out of bed and I wanted nothig to do with work, friends, etc.

Not sure if this is directlty related to gluten or something else? I wonder if a person's body can get used to gluten over the years and the body chemistry might change in some ways in order to "ward off" depression? (since once eliminated and reintroduced my experience with gluten was more pronounced than before).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

Yes, it is a very common experience. While we are consuming gluten the body is fighting heavy battles constantly,trying to deal with the load. Then the load is lifted and the body experiences relief that it can get on with the normal lthings it is supposed to be doing. When gluten is reintroduced, those who are sensitive to it usually feel much worse than they did before because the body mounts what is like a frantic attack to get rid of it and go back to feeling good. This applies equally whether the symptoms are neurological or gastrointestinal. The body just wants to be rid of the stuff.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#33 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:56 AM

Thanks a lot mushroom. After I posted I actually found an article on this site about depression and gluten that was quite informative. Interesting that gluten may block the absorption of tryptophan. I also suffer from insomnia and tryptophan was recommended to me once to help with that.

#34 norcal_gf

norcal_gf

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

There's a really great article about this topic from Dr. Andrew Weil called the The Depression-Inflammation Connection. Gluten causes inflammation. It was posted on the Huffington Post on 11/4/11. You can search the site to find it. Not sure if I can post the link or not? Is that breaking the rules?

#35 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

There's a really great article about this topic from Dr. Andrew Weil called the The Depression-Inflammation Connection. Gluten causes inflammation. It was posted on the Huffington Post on 11/4/11. You can search the site to find it. Not sure if I can post the link or not? Is that breaking the rules?

Providing references for where you obtained your information is certainly not breaking the rules, it is highly desirable; the rules are mainly to prevent self-promotion or spam. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#36 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

Wow...thankyou everybody...Its amazing all the symptoms I never even atrubuted to celiacs let alone lactose intolerents( cesein)....I allways wonderd how depression could just come out of the blue like this....I could be having the most wonderful day ,everything going right...and be so god allfull depressed like a huge black cloud...depressed beyond possible for no apearent reason...defying all logic!!! This makes soooo much sense...(I allways sespected saretonen...but hell...chalk one more up to Celiacs!!! It's amazing what I learn everyday from you guys...keep on writing!!!
This is better than any pill!!! :D :D :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#37 Rick-O-Shay

Rick-O-Shay

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

This is a very interesting post. I have suffered from severe anxiety since youth and have been on many medications, including: Paxil, Cymbalta, Buspar, Setraline, Wellbutrin, and Klonopin. (Klonopin works the best, but boy is it addictive. And don't every let anyone prescribe wellbutrin for anxiety...)

Anyway, I have only recently gone gluten free so I am interested to see the effectst that it has on anxiety. I know I must give it some time. Also, I am currently taking the Klonopin, so we will see how this goes.

#38 biancanera

biancanera

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

I'm still newly diagnosed, but I had no idea about this until I read this thread today! I have had agoraphobia for a long time now, and sometimes it would get so bad that I wouldn't be able to leave the house for a few months (that was a really bad time!). Now that I look back on what I thought was a previously random experience to have gone through, I realize that every day I was eating pasta and bread because my grandmother was cooking that for me. I think my body was even trying to tell me something since at the time I was so sick I stopped eating solids and ended up resorting to tomato soup and ensures and things like that just to eat. Being off gluten for a month, I generally feel really good emotionally now! I haven't even had a moment when I was too upset to go out once, or been unreasonably upset either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: