#1 beelzebubble

beelzebubble

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:54 PM

hihi,

i was wondering if any of you have problems with your eyes? i seem to have constant redness in my eyes, and frequently i will have a yellowy/green discharge. once every couple of months, i will get a pink eye type infection that goes away after a couple of days. does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

bubble

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tammy

tammy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:26 PM

Hi,

No I have not experienced any eye trouble similar to your situation. I can say that Bilberry Extract is known for providing strong support for the eyes.

Best Wishes!!

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 04:30 PM

I have not heard of celiac being related to those sorts of eye problems. Hopefully, you can make it in to an ophthamologist soon.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 09:51 PM

One of my first symptoms was itchy, watery, red eyes, sometimes
had sharp pains in them. I was treated for environmental
allergies, but my eyes never felt better until I went gluten-
free. Now that is a symptom which occurs when ever I
unknowingly eat gluten.

I've never had any discharge, sounds like an infertion.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#5 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 02:28 AM

:( me too--i have the itchy, watery, red eyes from other allergens, but this sounds like and infection to me too and pink eye is so much easier to get then people think--sometimes a cold in your eye behaves like this too--i think a doctor is the answer---i do wish i could find something for my eyes because i never going to get the allergen to disappear---many perfume scents make my eyes water and just walking pass someone with the wrong scent on sets my eyes off-- ;) deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#6 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:24 PM

When I use make-up with gluten in it my eyes get so irritated.

#7 beelzebubble

beelzebubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:32 PM

hmmm. okay. part of me is wondering if it's a lubrication problem. my eyes always feel so dry. but, i'll make an appt. thanks for the input, guys.

bubble

#8 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 01:19 PM

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I get the same thing. It happened to me for a while and I couldn't figure out what it was. Then I realized that my shampoo had wheat in it and it was getting in my eyes. It also happens when I use face cream or eye makeup that is not gluten free. It doesn't happen when I accidentally ingest gluten but just with cosmetics, lotions or shampoos. I often wake up with my eyes crusted together and they look terribly red and sticky for a day or two. I am right there with you! I would check your lotions and shampoos.
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#9 beelzebubble

beelzebubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:43 AM

wow. i never thought of that. i will. anyone know if cetaphil is gluten free?

#10 jaimek

jaimek

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:02 AM

I don't think it is. I was using that before and I think that is one of the lotions that caused my eye to crust up. I would call but if I remember correctly, Cetaphil face lotion is NOT gluten-free.
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#11 beelzebubble

beelzebubble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:27 PM

i made a discovery this morning. the hippy, all natural, non-sodium lauryl sulfate conditioner that i bought to help my ailing scalp has WHEAT PROTEIN in it (aka gluten). bugger. well, that might be it anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: