Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Problems With Eyes

11 posts in this topic

hihi,

i was wondering if any of you have problems with your eyes? i seem to have constant redness in my eyes, and frequently i will have a yellowy/green discharge. once every couple of months, i will get a pink eye type infection that goes away after a couple of days. does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

bubble

Ads by Google:

Hi,

No I have not experienced any eye trouble similar to your situation. I can say that Bilberry Extract is known for providing strong support for the eyes.

Best Wishes!!

I have not heard of celiac being related to those sorts of eye problems. Hopefully, you can make it in to an ophthamologist soon.

One of my first symptoms was itchy, watery, red eyes, sometimes

had sharp pains in them. I was treated for environmental

allergies, but my eyes never felt better until I went gluten-

free. Now that is a symptom which occurs when ever I

unknowingly eat gluten.

I've never had any discharge, sounds like an infertion.

:( me too--i have the itchy, watery, red eyes from other allergens, but this sounds like and infection to me too and pink eye is so much easier to get then people think--sometimes a cold in your eye behaves like this too--i think a doctor is the answer---i do wish i could find something for my eyes because i never going to get the allergen to disappear---many perfume scents make my eyes water and just walking pass someone with the wrong scent on sets my eyes off-- ;) deb

When I use make-up with gluten in it my eyes get so irritated.

hmmm. okay. part of me is wondering if it's a lubrication problem. my eyes always feel so dry. but, i'll make an appt. thanks for the input, guys.

bubble

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I get the same thing. It happened to me for a while and I couldn't figure out what it was. Then I realized that my shampoo had wheat in it and it was getting in my eyes. It also happens when I use face cream or eye makeup that is not gluten free. It doesn't happen when I accidentally ingest gluten but just with cosmetics, lotions or shampoos. I often wake up with my eyes crusted together and they look terribly red and sticky for a day or two. I am right there with you! I would check your lotions and shampoos.

wow. i never thought of that. i will. anyone know if cetaphil is gluten free?

I don't think it is. I was using that before and I think that is one of the lotions that caused my eye to crust up. I would call but if I remember correctly, Cetaphil face lotion is NOT gluten-free.

i made a discovery this morning. the hippy, all natural, non-sodium lauryl sulfate conditioner that i bought to help my ailing scalp has WHEAT PROTEIN in it (aka gluten). bugger. well, that might be it anyway.