#1 azza

azza

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:22 AM

Hello,

I am a 17- years old girl, and not sure if I should follow a gluten-free diet. I started it just because the symtoms matched with what I have... When I told some of my friends they asked me if I followed that since I was young.... So, can I have that disease of not being able to digest "gluten" while I am this age or should it be since I was a kid??

Please answer me ASAP.... :blink:
Azza

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Aimee

Aimee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 08:42 AM

Before I would start the diet, I would see a doctor. Talk to your parents about what you've found about Celiac and see if they can get you into see a gastro doctor. They should be able to do the blood tests quickly and find out if it's something you might have.

Good luck to you!

#3 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 08:53 AM

azza,

Welcome to the board!

Celiac disease (also known as gluten intolerance, gluten-sensitive enteropathy, or non-tropical sprue) is genetically transmitted, so if you have it, you have carried the gene for your entire life. HOWEVER, symptoms do NOT always begin during childhood! celiac disease can appear for the first time at any stage of life, even in elderly individuals, so it is entirely possible that symptoms you are noticing now could be a result of celiac disease.

The only way to find out for sure is to be tested. What are your parents' thoughts on your symptoms? Have you discussed them with your doctor? If you haven't already done so, I suggest familiarizing yourself with the celiac.com website, and directing your parents to it as well. It's wonderful that you are taking charge of your health at such a young age, and I hope the responsible adults in your life choose to support you in this. Good luck!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#4 92939

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:14 PM

azza, please see a gastroenterologist and he can run the right test before it gets any worse

#5 Guest_PastorDave_*

Guest_PastorDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2004 - 12:50 PM

I agree with everyone else...get tested before going gluten free, or the tests will not be accurate. I found out about Celiac from my Mom (who gave me her genes...nice eh? ;) ) I am 29 years old, and the test showed mild sprue, so I haven't really been showing syptoms or anything, because I found out early on. My mom thinks that she has had it since her 20s and didn't really show any major syptoms until her 50s. There are some people who have problems as children, so age isn't a major factor, I think the biggest this is your current diet and stress levels (Celiac can be agitated by stress). I could be off in left field about this, I'm new to it all myself, but I do know that you should get tested before going gluten-free so that you can know if this is your problem or not.

#6 Guest_dlf1021_*

Guest_dlf1021_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2004 - 01:42 PM

I would definitely see the doctor before you begin the diet, or when/if you do get tested, the results will be off because of the diet. I was tested a few weeks ago and came back with mixed results, but began the diet anyway and it has helped some. Now, I have to go see the gastrointerologist, but in order to have further testing done, specifically to see what the extent of damage to my intestines, I'll have to go back on the diet and lose all the headway I've gained. Definitely talk to your parents and the doctor

#7 azza

azza

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 04:21 AM

Thanks all for your replies,

The thing I'm looking for is a good doc. in where I live ..Which is Dubai. In Dubai they don't care much of "Gluten-free" foods... And don't even know about celiac disease. I don't like the idea of the test in which they reach your intestine.... And the other one by blood test isn't accurate.... The problem is not the diet as much as that I can't find any substitutes...Not even other flours... :unsure:
Azza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: