This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Geographic Tongue

Eric80517

Eric80517 Newbie

Anyone have the issue of a geographic tongue? What are some of the things that help the tongue problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

I have one, my dentists once made a comment to the hygentist that was helping her. I was like what the heck is that? She told me. I never noticed any problems with it really. I know I'm more sensitive to citric acid, orange juice, pineapple etc. I can't offer any advice about helping it.

pickles1 Newbie
Anyone have the issue of a geographic tongue? What are some of the things that help the tongue problem?

what is a geographic tongue?!

psawyer Proficient
what is a geographic tongue?!

Open Original Shared Link

harrishart Newbie

YES!! I have it, and have for as long as I can remember. I love all of the things that aggrevate it LOL, so I'd love to know if anything helps. My DH thinks it's weird that I can't use Listerine.

• 2 weeks later...
mamabear Explorer

I think it's like the chicken and the egg......which came first? Is it naturally inflamed or "naturally" deficient of vitamins and minerals?? Some geographic tongue appears as "chronic inflammation" on biopsy. I personally feel it is a spectrum of GI pathology which includes "burning mouth" and canker sores......all of which reminds me of celiac symptomatology.

• 2 weeks later...
IwantToHelp Newbie
YES!! I have it, and have for as long as I can remember. I love all of the things that aggrevate it LOL, so I'd love to know if anything helps. My DH thinks it's weird that I can't use Listerine.

I wanted to let you know things you can and cant use. My daughter got it from birth and everyone said it doesnt hurt her and there is nothing you can do, well that wasnt cool with me so I tried everything and I swear I found the secret I even told my doc and he saw for himself that my daughter looks as if she never had it. The secret is you must be strtick and eat things that DO NOT contain citric ascid, absorbic ascid, oranges, lemons, limes. hot or spicy foods. Now I know this will be hard and once you really take notice in ingredients you will see citric and absorbic ascid is in EVERYTHING. It is important that if you start a diet like this that you dont play in the begining be strict. Then when you notice a clear tongue. You can splurge, but never on oranges it will hurt you the worst. Also after you have controll of it and you are all clear wich trust me it will work I shocked my doctor, if you notice in ingredients that if citric ascid and absorbic ascid are the last ingredients than thier is less than 2% of the ingredient in there and you can have it more often than you think. Well I am gonna go but this is something I want to share because it works and every website that talkes about it wants you to buy some book for help, I am gonna be opening a web site with free info on the site for anyone to just look and get help rite away. Hope this helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Generic Apprentice

I just remembered, that an acupuncture DR. always asks to see your tongue. My geographic issues cleared up when I was going to acupuncture. It has since returned, I haven't been in over a year, I should go back to see her, but don't have the extra funds right now.

• 1 year later...
ericjourney Newbie

I realize that I'm late in adding my reply, but here goes. I, too, have a geographic tongue. It's very dynamic (the red and white patches move to different locations on my tongue quite frequently). The patches are always there, but they're only sensitive after acidic foods, particularly citrus or pineapple juice. A doctor once recommended that I take a prescription antacid (omeprazole/Prilosec). A few days into the two-week prescription my tongue appeared normal--for the first time in my life. A few days after stopping the medication my geographic tongue was back.

• 1 year later...
okieinalaska Apprentice

I realize this is an old post... I am new here but about 20 years ago I had geographic tongue develop out of the blue when I lived in MI. -I don't remember eating anything spicy or anything.

We are military and the doc gave me some kind of antacid or something in pill form. (I remember it was pink). He had me break the pill in half and rub it on my tongue. (I didn't swallow the pill) It cleared up very quickly! Unfort. I don't remember what the pill was! I remember how awful and painful geographic tongue was though! It has thankfully never come back. (knock on wood!)

Amy in Alaska

Archived