#1 Aj63

Aj63

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:12 AM

Hi there,

I was just diagnosed on Wednesday. I have been feeling horrible for about 1-year, since the birth of my second daughter and the last 3 months have been horrible. I am ok with my diagnosis, at least I can manage it and now evertime I look at my little girls I am not wondering if I am dying.

It may sound silly, but my biggest concern is our Christmas trip to Thailand. I have been reading posts about the airlines and plan to go online and try to order a Gluten-Free menu. Other then that though, I am pretty much freaking out about the food. We are going to be all over the country for three weeks. I don't have much experiance with Thai food. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

BTW: Love this forum. Went to the store yesterday and purchased some cook books and picked up a few things at the health food store. What a shocker. Before I had the entire store at my disposal now, besides the produce and meat section, it looks like I am pretty much stuck to a quarter of one side of an isle. EEK. :blink:

AJ

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mango04

Mango04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

I've never been to Thailand, but I've seriously considered going several times, and never felt that food would be too much of an issue. I believe their primary grain is rice rather than wheat (I'm pretty sure even Thai soy sauce is wheat-free).

You might want to bring some dining cards with you so you can communicate your need to be gluten-free if necessary. Here's the first one I found in a quick google search:

http://www.celiactra...ds/36-thai.html
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#3 Aj63

Aj63

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

Hi Mango04,

Gosh, thanks for the cards. I was literally about to buy some for $50.00. I owe you one!!!

Angela

#4 SydneyGF

SydneyGF

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

Hi,
I have been to Thailand before and found it really easy to eat almost anywhere. The best places where the little kiosk out on the streets where you can see the fresh foods. Avoid resort and hotel restaurants where they try to westernise the meals and add wheat products.

Rice is the staple and eating where the locals eat is the key.

Have fun.

Sydney73 :D
SydneyGF
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Diagnosed with Celiacs in mid 2004
Living a wonderful gluten free life

#5 syl1463

syl1463

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

hello everybody! lm trying to find a thai restaurant card but l cant..has anyone got one to share? thanks in advance, lm leaving in 2 weeks and this is my email address sildalsanto@yahoo.com
Thank you so much.
S.

Hi,
I have been to Thailand before and found it really easy to eat almost anywhere. The best places where the little kiosk out on the streets where you can see the fresh foods. Avoid resort and hotel restaurants where they try to westernise the meals and add wheat products.

Rice is the staple and eating where the locals eat is the key.

Have fun.

Sydney73 :D

#6 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

hello everybody! lm trying to find a thai restaurant card but l cant..has anyone got one to share? thanks in advance, lm leaving in 2 weeks and this is my email address sildalsanto@yahoo.com
Thank you so much.
S.

I posted a link to one - a few posts above...
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#7 munchkinette

munchkinette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

Thailand is super easy- one of the easiest countries for celiac. You really only need to be careful of two things:

First, Chinese influence (more in the north) means soy sauce. Otherwise, Thai food only uses fish sauce, and the menu will tell you whether they use rice noodles or Chinese style wheat noodles. American Thai restaurants are generally bad about using soy sauce instead.

Second, in some of the tourist restaurants they will do the breaded-fried thing on a few stir-fry items. It's often just labeled "fried" or something basic. All you have to do is make sure to ask. Tons of people speak English in Bangkok and Phuket. I don't know about other places. If they don't, most places have pictures of everything. You can see if that's an issue or not.

Otherwise, no issues. Wheat just doesn't figure into the Thai diet. Dairy doesn't either. The gluten-free meals on planes can be pretty good, but I always come prepared. On the way back you should be able to find a lot to eat in the Bangkok airport.
Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003
Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)
Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)
Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: