This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Xanax Contains Gluten

ENF

Lisa Mentor

Many companies will not guarantee their product is gluten free, because they do not test for gluten. They can state that there are no gluten ingredients. Under those circumstances, I would consider that product gluten free.

Many times it's a CYA Statement.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
Well, I just called Pfizer in the US at 1-212-733-2323. (it is 1:17am here in Jakarta, but 2:17pm in the US)

He says, "There is no gluten in our Xanax product. Yes, we do have factories in Puerto Rico that produce our product."

So I asked him about why the Pfizer website says there is gluten in it. He then said, "We can't certify that our products are gluten-free because of the manufacturing process".

Well, I called them too, the pharmicist, and yes, he said, "I am a pharmicist here, and yes, there is gluten in Xanax, and always has been!" He never said anything about trying to certify it, just said it absolutely IS NOT gluten-free." That's all I need to know. Besides the fact, I always reacted to it, and now, I have Xanax which is gluten free, and no reaction.

Be your own judge!

knightrider Newbie

I received a call from Pfizer today from the Indonesian office which imports Xanax from Puerto Rico.

He said with confidence that he had contacted the manufacturer over there and they said it does not contain gluten.

Perhaps Pfizer cannot get its story straight. I don't know.

To be more sure I emailed their global branches and got this reply today:

Dear Paul Krenz,

Thank for your enquiry to Pfizer.

Pertaining to your enquiry regarding Gluten content of Xanax (Alprazolam), Pfizer is please to provide the following information.

"Pfizer Medical Information- gluten content of prescription products"

darlindeb25 Collaborator
knightrider Newbie

It's hard to trust big pharma these days. They have covered up so many things

in the past, who knows what is truth and lies anymore.

They used tricky language in that email.

By examining it more carefully I can see that they are

saying it doesn't have gluten on some technicality.

Basically they admit they do not test the raw materials

for gluten, and don't have to and can still say it is gluten-free.

I think this means that we should all avoid Xanax and

the generic Greenstone products until Pfizer can certify

under third-party and neutral laboratory tests that it is

100% gluten-free.

Heck, I was thinking of something.. maybe I can take

my Xanax pills to a laboratory here and have them run

it through a machine to see how many ppm (parts per million)

gluten it has?

That would really set the record straight, but then my wallet

would be a lot lighter. hehehe

Yeah, tricky language.. language that covers them from being sued.

I hope Pfizer googles this because he called me up and told me to

"spread the good news" to the Celiac forums on the internet about

Xanax being free of gluten.

Hopefully they'll take notice, because apparently it was important

enough for that rep to tell me to spread the word about it on Celiac

Disease forums, so they know they need our money.

We need some kind of bill in the Congress to regulate them for

gluten. I know that with foods (which I've been told are regulated

differently) the FDA is going to make them state on the label if

foods have gluten in them or not.

I hope to God they can do this someday for pills.

Big Pharma companies have a way with twisting words.

Too bad really. :-( I spent $60 on the Xanax and can't take

it back for a refund even though it is still in the original blister

packaging.

Paul

darlindeb25 Collaborator
We need some kind of bill in the Congress to regulate them for

gluten. I know that with foods (which I've been told are regulated

differently) the FDA is going to make them state on the label if

foods have gluten in them or not.

This is the truth. This is the only thing that will work for all of us. They can tell a diabetic when a med is safe for them, why not us? There really is no need for gluten in meds.

knightrider Newbie

Well, check this out. Remember that site that listed all the "gluten-free" drugs from Pfizer? They only listed Xanax, Xanax XR and Halcion as containing gluten.

Well, the doctor from Singapore said that data is old and out of date. Pfizer now has several drugs listed that are containing gluten! Beware! Nardil is on the list containing gluten, whereas before it was listed as not containing it.

Ok, here's what his email said today after I told him about this site:

Open Original Shared Link

I told him this site above says that Xanax has gluten in it, so I want a straight answer for me and other folks with Celiac Disease.

He sent me updated files and said that website is OUT OF DATE. They changed things as of August and September 2008.

Dear Paul Krenz,

Thank you for your feedback.

I found the website that you gave and there was written Gluten DO contain in Xanax.

From our medical information which was updated recently (01 August 2008 and 16 September 2008) stated that Xanax DO NOT Contain Gluten.

Please find the attached files for your reference.

By the way, may I know the doctor (name and clinic name-if possible address) who prescribes you the Xanax?

I also would like to send this information to doctor and so next time he or she can explain to patient who want to know this information.

I will contact to website that you gave me regarding your feedback and inform them to update the information.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Dr. Chan Min Kyi

Safety / Medical Information Associate

Pfizer Pte Ltd ( Singapore)

1 Science Park Road

#04-01 The Capricorn

Singapore Science Park II

Singapore 117528

Tel (65) 64038888; 64038752 (DID)

Fax (65) 64038868

Pfizer

Medical Information-General gluten content of Pfizer prescription products

The Pfizer U.S. pharmaceutical products in Table 1 below do contain gluten as an ingredient.

Please note that Table 1 does not contain a complete listing of all Pfizer pharmaceutical products.

Last QA Reviewed On: 08/01/2008 10:50:56

Table 1. Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceutical Products That DO Contain Gluten 2

Aromasin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knightrider Newbie

Here are the updated pdf files I received from Pfizer in their original form:

Lisa Mentor

Very good!

Thank you knightrider for that information. The questions regarding Xanax has been answered.

Table 2. Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceutical Products That DO NOT Contain Gluten 2

Accupril

knightrider Newbie

The only problem I see now is the older batches of Xanax that could contain gluten.

If this was a recent change in the fillers/binders, then it might be a while until the newer

batches make it to the pharmacy. Just a guess though.

darlindeb25 Collaborator
Thank you knightrider for that information. The questions regarding Xanax has been answered.

Thank you Knightrider for all of your research, I can see you worked really hard at getting this.

However, I will never trust Pfizer. They lied before, then they lied about lying...I will never use a drug from Pfizer or Greenstone again. I put my faith in them and repeatedly got ill, while they lied. I am a very trusting person, yet once someone breaks that trust, it is very difficult to get it back. They messed with my health, that is unforgiveable in my book.

Well over one year ago, I was told Zyrtec was gluten free too, now I see on this list it wasn't, until recently. My insurance would not pay for it, so I got something different, thankfully.

Too many lies, and a very good drug rep says dont trust them, I agree.

Thanks.

larry mac Enthusiast

kn,

I take Celebrex daily and several other meds on this list occasionally. Thank you for the info and for your efforts. It is very much appreciated.

best regards, lm

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I was just reading in Neurotalk, a forum I frequent for my neuropathy and there is a new thread about Pfizer. Thought it may interest some of you.

Here is a little snipet of the article:

In the Boston case, attorneys for Neurontin users and insurers are suing Pfizer for consumer fraud and unjust enrichment, saying the company promoted Neurontin for medical conditions and doses for which it knew the drug wasn't effective. A year ago, US District Court Judge Patti B. Saris denied the plaintiffs' request to certify the case as a class action, but she allowed the attorneys to try again.

In a related case, Pfizer pled guilty to criminal conduct and paid $430 million in fines in 2004 to resolve charges that it illegally marketed Neurontin for "off-label" uses, ranging from manic depression to hiccups. In that case, Pfizer produced internal documents from the 1990s. In this new case, the company produced e-mails and documents mostly from the early and mid-2000s.

• 3 months later...
DreamWalker Rookie

Woah. This has me seriously reconsidering all of my prescription meds. I was on neurotin for an extended period of time for pain. Although, I couldn't handle the mental side-effects. It made me incredibly jittery/agitated and worsened my insomnia. Anyhow, I was just prescribed Xanax temporarily and haven't picked it up at the pharmacy yet since I was waiting to call the company on Monday to check whether it was gluten-free. Now, I'm not sure if I can trust their answer. Plus, what if it does contain gluten? Does anyone know how to find out which pharmacies carry Mylan or other gluten free versions? Walgreens says their Xanax is from PurePac yet I can't find much information about the company via the internet.

debmidge Rising Star
Woah. This has me seriously reconsidering all of my prescription meds. I was on neurotin for an extended period of time for pain. Although, I couldn't handle the mental side-effects. It made me incredibly jittery/agitated and worsened my insomnia. Anyhow, I was just prescribed Xanax temporarily and haven't picked it up at the pharmacy yet since I was waiting to call the company on Monday to check whether it was gluten-free. Now, I'm not sure if I can trust their answer. Plus, what if it does contain gluten? Does anyone know how to find out which pharmacies carry Mylan or other gluten free versions? Walgreens says their Xanax is from PurePac yet I can't find much information about the company via the internet.

Purepac phone 908-527-9100. They call themselves "Activa" now, as Purepac sold out to another pharmaceutical company. Their Consumer Compliance Dept. was always at this phone number (Elizabeth, NJ) , but call them anyway and find out who you have to talk to. They might give you another phone number to call....

It's USA Headquarters was in Fort Lee, NJ but since they were bought out I do not know if they are still there.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Walmart is the only pharmacy I could find that carried Alprazolam by Mylan. I called Walgreens, CVS, Target and Safeway. It may depend on where you live though. I had some alprazolam by Purepac but quit using them when I was dx'd since I could never get through to purepac.

sbj Rookie

Not sure if this would help anyone but I ask my pharmacist to insure that my medications are gluten free when I pick them up. I wait while he looks each one up in some sort of big book and then he also gets on the phone. I've also completed an 'allergies' form at the pharmacy so that whenever they bring my customer ID up on their systems a note tells them that I am allergic to gluten. This is all done through my Kaiser Permanente pharmacy so not sure it is available for everyone. BTW, the pharmacist can be an extremely valuable resource. I have gotten great help from him regarding not only gluten in medications but also general questions about such things as prepping for colonoscopy and proper amount of vitamin D and calcium to take for osteopenia. I do believe that in some cases the pharmacists are more knowledgeable than doctors might be about particular medications and dosages.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Not sure if this would help anyone but I ask my pharmacist to insure that my medications are gluten free when I pick them up. I wait while he looks each one up in some sort of big book and then he also gets on the phone. I've also completed an 'allergies' form at the pharmacy so that whenever they bring my customer ID up on their systems a note tells them that I am allergic to gluten. This is all done through my Kaiser Permanente pharmacy so not sure it is available for everyone. BTW, the pharmacist can be an extremely valuable resource. I have gotten great help from him regarding not only gluten in medications but also general questions about such things as prepping for colonoscopy and proper amount of vitamin D and calcium to take for osteopenia. I do believe that in some cases the pharmacists are more knowledgeable than doctors might be about particular medications and dosages.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, especially the sentences I bolded. The only difference is I ask them to look them up when I drop them off. I don't even bother asking the doctor for info, they just don't have the knowledge or the time to learn about it. Pharms are specifically trained to be able to either answer questions or quickly find the answer and have the resources to do it. Most are happy to help but if the one at the pharmacy you go to is too busy finding another pharmacy might be a good idea. The pharm will also know what drugs can be substituted for one that may not be gluten free and if needed can call your doctor right then and have them change the script.

sbj Rookie

It's annoying to me that we are trained our whole life to look up to doctors - we treat them like all-knowing people. But they really aren't, sometimes with tragic results. I'm often on this forum defending traditional western medicine, but I do acknowledge that it is far from perfect. I've often had to train my doctors. That's one reason forums like this are so useful - we can use the info here to educate our doctors and not simply bash them for mistakes of the past. We've got to use all of the resources available to us - and by doing that we will help those who come after us.

DreamWalker Rookie

As it turns out, Walmart carries Mylan! Thank you for the information :)

debmidge Rising Star

Our neighborhood pharmacist refuses to do this for us. We end up having to track the

drug company down. As the years went by, I sort of perferred it that way - so that I

would get the info first hand from the drug company.

debmidge Rising Star
Walmart is the only pharmacy I could find that carried Alprazolam by Mylan. I called Walgreens, CVS, Target and Safeway. It may depend on where you live though. I had some alprazolam by Purepac but quit using them when I was dx'd since I could never get through to purepac.

Purpac had been undergoing a lot of corporate selling over the past couple of years and sold off some lines of business. My Mom worked for them in their Compliance Dept. and I recall that she had a lot of phone calls about "gluten-free" over the years. I am not certain if Purepac makes anything under the Purepac name any longer, they could be using their new name. If you need their info, call them at that phone number I mentioned in my other post. My Mom has since retired and I don't know what they are "trading as " now or the status of "gluten-free".

Archived