12 replies to this topic

#1 newceliac

newceliac

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

Does anyone know of a correlation between celiac disease with Vitamin D deficiency and Degenerative Disc Disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 confusedks

confusedks

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:58 PM

I would love to hear about this. I am 17 and I have 6 disc bulges just in my lumbar spine! It is ridiculous!

Kassandra
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#3 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:11 PM

I'm interested in any possible causes of degenerative disc disease. Kassandra, I agree it is ridiculous. I was also diagnosed with bulged discs and degenerative disc disease at a young age, when I was 18. The last MRI I had, when I was 24 (I'm 29 now) showed multiple herniations!

I seem to be one of those people who ruptures, heals, ruptures, heals on a cycle. The pain flares, becomes debilitating, where I actually can't walk... and my doc mentions surgery again, which I've repeatedly refused. I go on heavy painkillers so that I can take care of my kids, plus muscle relaxers and steroids. Gradually the pain lessen, slowly, slowly, until it's pretty much gone.

Then the cycle repeats in about 6-7 months. :( Not fun. This latest good spell has lasted longer than any I've had in years though. My last flare-up resolved about 9 months ago.
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#4 mterral

mterral

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:08 AM

I would love to hear about this. I am 17 and I have 6 disc bulges just in my lumbar spine! It is ridiculous!

Kassandra

My daughter is 21 years old and has had issues with back and neck pain for years---due to bulging disks also. Just wondered if you experience a great deal of pain with this and what if anything has been helpful that you have tried. We have been thru physical therapy, nerve blocks, epidural injections ---just to name a few of things we have tried. In addition to this she also suffers from severe problems with headaches. She went away to college for the first time this past year and we are now in the process of moving her home for the summer, but she ended up having to take a withdraw passing from her courses because she missed so many days due to increased pain. She is also seeing a chiropractor 3 times a week. Any information you may have to help us from your experiences would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Michelle Terral
mterral@comcast.net

#5 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

I'd recommend two things; glucosamine, and methylcobalamin (B12). The glucosamine rebuilds the cushioning material between bones, and the B12 helps rebuild and maintain nerve cells. I started taking the glucosamine for TMJ, and it works wonders. You can get vegetarian versions if you have an allergy to shellfish. The one I get happens to also have MSM, but I don't know if that has any effect, and research on it is still forthcoming.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

I also was diagnosed with that and with osteoporosis a few years ago, prediagnosis, when I herniated a disk. I haven't had any issues at all since I went gluten-free. In my case a lot of my pain was due to inflammation from the celiac, once the inflammation was gone the pain went away. The only time I have problems with my discs now is if I do something stupid, like moving heavy furniture by myself.
I will add that I did go to a PT for quite a while to restrengthen my body after diagnosis. I think rebuilding core muscles whose only excercise for years was cramping D :blink: helped a great deal with my back issues also. If your doctor can give you a script for a few physical therapy sessions it might help a lot.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 fedora

fedora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

Hi,
I am wondering about thistoo. I was about to post about it. I have had back, neck, and shoulder problems since 20. I am now 32. I have spent tons of money at the chiropractor and would be crippled without them. My PT says I have muscular caused scoliosis. My spine curve, ribs go out, and left shoulder goes out of place. I have had TMJ since childhood. My PT says my shoulder joint is fine. It sucks.
Since going 100% gluten free my sharp shoulder pain has gone away. That has been a miracle. I take a calcium, mag, vit D supplement. I also take aVit b12 supplement and eat fortified nutritional yeast.
I am concerned. Could I still be healing? Do I have other food intolerances? I am off all dairy. This is more then just pain, this is my skeleton not staying in place. I am afraid it is something else. I have been researching online.
I will start glucosamine. I have some here.

Mterral, I am so sorry about your daughter. I hope she finds relief soon.
gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994
wheat free or wheat light- 2003
gluten free- January 2008

#8 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

I also was diagnosed with that and with osteoporosis a few years ago, prediagnosis, when I herniated a disk. I haven't had any issues at all since I went gluten-free. In my case a lot of my pain was due to inflammation from the celiac, once the inflammation was gone the pain went away. The only time I have problems with my discs now is if I do something stupid, like moving heavy furniture by myself.
I will add that I did go to a PT for quite a while to restrengthen my body after diagnosis. I think rebuilding core muscles whose only excercise for years was cramping D :blink: helped a great deal with my back issues also. If your doctor can give you a script for a few physical therapy sessions it might help a lot.

When I was 29, I had a herniated cervical (neck) disc ( C 5/6) that ruptured and caused paralysis and foot drop. I had a C 5/6 discectomy and fusion surgery where they remove the disc and replace it with bone - in my case, from my hip, The bone then mends - like a broken bone- to fuse the neck and replace the disc. Major heavy-duty surgery. My doc said "BOY, you're young for this!"

I was also diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease (try saying that fast five times) in my lower back pre-celiac diagnosis. I was diagnosed with osteopenia at celiac disease diagnosis.

Just immediately prior to diagnosis, I had extreme neuropathy in my arms and my MRI showed 3-4 more "bulging" neck discs that my doc said would need surgery sooner or later.

After I went gluten-free, all my neck pain and extremity numbness went away, like overnight. So did my lower back DDD pain.

Also, I had what was diagnosed as plantar faciitis in both legs. I wore a night splint on one or both feet for over a year. At celiac disease diagnosis, I was in pain. A month later I realized, hey! No more plantar faciitis pain! And it hasn't come back since.

Ravenwoodglass (as normal) has a good point. Removing the inflammation may have been the key for me. I consider myself fortunate that the pain and neuropathy are all gone. I haven't had a repeat MRI but I am just hopeful that all my discs are happy and healthy now.

Michelle, I hope your daughter has similar experiences. Trying a really strict gluten-free diet for the next few months may get rid of the pain before school starts again in the fall!

~Laura
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#9 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:10 AM

I have this too and found Prolotherapy cured me. Its really great if you find a good Dr to do it. I was thinking of back surgery before this - so am glad I found an alternative.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#10 Lillyth

Lillyth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

I haven't been on here in years, and I know this topic is very old, but I just wanted to bump it and mention the possibility of going overseas to get the discs fixed.  I am doing that this weekend.  I will be the first American to have six levels replaced in my spine all at once.

Don't suffer needlessly.

My theory is that the disc problems happened before our Dx of celiac.  I don't know that we can really reverse it, but we can get them replaced and get on with our lives.

#11 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:51 AM

Good luck! :)

Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 Lillyth

Lillyth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

Good luck! :)

Thank you.  And now, because of this thread, I am having the celiac conversation with folks over at my spinal forum!  I am going to see if I can figure out how to get the site to email me if someone needs me.  I'm not on here but want to be avaible in case someone needs me.

#13 Lillyth

Lillyth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Thank you!  I just made sure I can get email notifications, so if anyone has an questions about disc replacement, feel free too pm me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: