#1 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:35 AM

Hi,

I live in a hurricane evacuation zone, so I am always looking for ready-to-eat meals for our evacuation kit. In light of the fires out west, thought some people might appreciate the additional convenience food option.

I just saw these ready to eat meals from Hormel and thought they would work great for evacuations or emergency lunches at school. I called Hormel to verify they are gluten-free and they will label for dairy (we need gluten-free/CF). I found these at Wal-mart. They are small microwavable containers.

Chicken and Rice
BBQ Beef and Beans
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Thoughts and prayer to all those who have been evacuated for the fires.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Dandelion

Dandelion

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:02 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'm always on the lookout for stuff to keep in my desk at work. Have you tried any of them? Any favorites?
Beth

Gluten free since January 2007.

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for posting this. I'm always on the lookout for stuff to keep in my desk at work. Have you tried any of them? Any favorites?

I have had the beef stew and it was good. Nice on a wintry day.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

The Hormel Chili is also gluten-free, there is one version that isn't, I think its the Turkey Chili. Hormel really has a nice set of things that are gluten free.
"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

#5 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I saw these in the store the other day but only found the beef stew. I'd love to find the sweet and sour chicken for my daughter. These would be great for those lazy nights when I want to feed the kids fast!

#6 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

Some of the Healthy Choice micro-bowl soups are gluten free. I've had the beef pot roast soup and it was not too bad.

Thanks for the other ideas!

#7 LoriC

LoriC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

I was walking around Walgreens yesterday waiting on a prescription and i found Thai Kitchen noodle cart products, on the front of the package it says GLUTEN FREE, so naturally i grabbed one and was reading it..so I bought 3 different ones..i had the Pad Thai..it wasn't to bad..you just add boiling water. I'm sure most of you have tried these, but being a new celiac, it was exciting to me to see those. I looked in my grocery store and i never saw them there..Now i'm going back to investigate further and see if they can order in some Thai products.

#8 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:51 PM

Hi,

I live in a hurricane evacuation zone, so I am always looking for ready-to-eat meals for our evacuation kit. In light of the fires out west, thought some people might appreciate the additional convenience food option.

I just saw these ready to eat meals from Hormel and thought they would work great for evacuations or emergency lunches at school. I called Hormel to verify they are gluten-free and they will label for dairy (we need gluten-free/CF). I found these at Wal-mart. They are small microwavable containers.

Chicken and Rice
BBQ Beef and Beans
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Thanks for posting this! I didn't get evacuated either this time or 4 years ago, but I will definitely keep this list - and the items on it - on hand because no doubt there will be a next time!

A friend whose husband grew up in Miami told me the Cuban way to eat chili is with rice. I have tried the Hormel Chili with Minute Rice (cooking is not my thing - if you couldn't guess) and it is quite tasty and filling.

Sandi

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#9 Aligray

Aligray

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:59 PM

What a GREAT post!!!! Thank u sooo much for this info!

I am also in a hurricane zone and hadnt thought of what i would do if i was evacuated!

And i also eat my chili w rice! never knew that wasnt the norm until i was an adult LOL
-Ali :)

1/07 Gluten free after being severely ill and fatigued for a straight year and GI issues since teenager.
2/07 Negative blood work but phenomenal results on gluten-free diet.
2/14/07 Found to be critically deficient in vitamin D.
10/27/07 Dairy free due to being sick last two months.
10/28/07 Son, 9 yrs old, began elimination diet due to tummy issues and behavior issues.

Also dx with Fibromyalgia but not 100% sure i have it anymore now that I am on gluten free diet. Could have been Celiac all along!

Gluten free is the way to be! I feel soooo much better!

#10 zachsmom

zachsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:46 AM

Hi,

Chicken and Rice
BBQ Beef and Beans
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Hey have you been to Sweetbay? they have decent amount of gluten free foods ... down side is they cost more than whole foods.... Hope your doing good. chris

#11 gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:49 AM

I actually talked to Red Cross recently because I wanted to hear the offical response...and officially we fit into the group called "Special needs". The emergency shelters are not able to make gluten-free meals or other allergy/diet specific meals. You are not able to bring a camping propane stove either. So in short, all of us Celiacs and severly allergic people need to apply for acceptance inthe special needs shelters or leave town before the evacuation order is given.

Consider these shelters have 1500 or more people in there. Consider the cross contamination nightmare in the food zone. For those of us with Nut allergies, every surface will be contaminated very quickly. So I for one cannot even imagine getting glutened and needing to use a portapotty for a hour. I think I would die first. Then add the high risk of my kid going into anaphylactic shock...how exactly do the EMS teams handle an emergency like that when roads are gone, hospitals inaccessible, etc. I will never step foot into a shelter. For that reason, we have a large quantity of food, juice, snacks, water, dog food, etc on hand and all the camping equipment we need to leave the danger zone and ride an emergency out in a camp site in GA if needed.

Just thought the fires in CA were a good wake up call for all of us to check out our own options for evacuations/emergencies. Hope everyone dealing with the fires made it ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: