This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Ready To Eat Meals From Hormel

gfgypsyqueen

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

Hi,

I live in a hurricane evacuation zone, so I am always looking for ready-to-eat meals for our evacuation kit. In light of the fires out west, thought some people might appreciate the additional convenience food option.

I just saw these ready to eat meals from Hormel and thought they would work great for evacuations or emergency lunches at school. I called Hormel to verify they are gluten-free and they will label for dairy (we need gluten-free/CF). I found these at Wal-mart. They are small microwavable containers.

Chicken and Rice

BBQ Beef and Beans

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Thoughts and prayer to all those who have been evacuated for the fires.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dandelion Contributor

Thanks for posting this. I'm always on the lookout for stuff to keep in my desk at work. Have you tried any of them? Any favorites?

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Thanks for posting this. I'm always on the lookout for stuff to keep in my desk at work. Have you tried any of them? Any favorites?

I have had the beef stew and it was good. Nice on a wintry day.

grantschoep Contributor

The Hormel Chili is also gluten-free, there is one version that isn't, I think its the Turkey Chili. Hormel really has a nice set of things that are gluten free.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I saw these in the store the other day but only found the beef stew. I'd love to find the sweet and sour chicken for my daughter. These would be great for those lazy nights when I want to feed the kids fast!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Some of the Healthy Choice micro-bowl soups are gluten free. I've had the beef pot roast soup and it was not too bad.

Thanks for the other ideas!

LoriC Apprentice

I was walking around Walgreens yesterday waiting on a prescription and i found Thai Kitchen noodle cart products, on the front of the package it says GLUTEN FREE, so naturally i grabbed one and was reading it..so I bought 3 different ones..i had the Pad Thai..it wasn't to bad..you just add boiling water. I'm sure most of you have tried these, but being a new celiac, it was exciting to me to see those. I looked in my grocery store and i never saw them there..Now i'm going back to investigate further and see if they can order in some Thai products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor
Hi,

I live in a hurricane evacuation zone, so I am always looking for ready-to-eat meals for our evacuation kit. In light of the fires out west, thought some people might appreciate the additional convenience food option.

I just saw these ready to eat meals from Hormel and thought they would work great for evacuations or emergency lunches at school. I called Hormel to verify they are gluten-free and they will label for dairy (we need gluten-free/CF). I found these at Wal-mart. They are small microwavable containers.

Chicken and Rice

BBQ Beef and Beans

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Thanks for posting this! I didn't get evacuated either this time or 4 years ago, but I will definitely keep this list - and the items on it - on hand because no doubt there will be a next time!

A friend whose husband grew up in Miami told me the Cuban way to eat chili is with rice. I have tried the Hormel Chili with Minute Rice (cooking is not my thing - if you couldn't guess) and it is quite tasty and filling.

Sandi

Aligray Apprentice

What a GREAT post!!!! Thank u sooo much for this info!

I am also in a hurricane zone and hadnt thought of what i would do if i was evacuated!

And i also eat my chili w rice! never knew that wasnt the norm until i was an adult LOL

zachsmom Enthusiast
Hi,

Chicken and Rice

BBQ Beef and Beans

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Dinty Moore Beef Stew

Hey have you been to Sweetbay? they have decent amount of gluten free foods ... down side is they cost more than whole foods.... Hope your doing good. chris

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I actually talked to Red Cross recently because I wanted to hear the offical response...and officially we fit into the group called "Special needs". The emergency shelters are not able to make gluten-free meals or other allergy/diet specific meals. You are not able to bring a camping propane stove either. So in short, all of us Celiacs and severly allergic people need to apply for acceptance inthe special needs shelters or leave town before the evacuation order is given.

Consider these shelters have 1500 or more people in there. Consider the cross contamination nightmare in the food zone. For those of us with Nut allergies, every surface will be contaminated very quickly. So I for one cannot even imagine getting glutened and needing to use a portapotty for a hour. I think I would die first. Then add the high risk of my kid going into anaphylactic shock...how exactly do the EMS teams handle an emergency like that when roads are gone, hospitals inaccessible, etc. I will never step foot into a shelter. For that reason, we have a large quantity of food, juice, snacks, water, dog food, etc on hand and all the camping equipment we need to leave the danger zone and ride an emergency out in a camp site in GA if needed.

Just thought the fires in CA were a good wake up call for all of us to check out our own options for evacuations/emergencies. Hope everyone dealing with the fires made it ok.

Archived