This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Enterolab Results

Guest barbara3675

Guest barbara3675

It has come to my attention that the wording on the results that Enterolab sends via email can say gluten sensitivity or gluten intolerance or celiac disease. Mine says sensitivity, which, from an ariticle I read free when I went to research the "Living Without" magazine, is the lowest of ways you can have this. What did your results say and how do you interpret all of this? They also say that I have a milk sensitivity/not intolerance. What I do know FOR SURE, though, is that now that I do not eat gluten or milk is that I no longer have tummy tenderness, bloating, rumbling and as of just lately no constipation/diarreah. I would be interested to see what others are getting as reulsts from Enterolab and how they interpret them. How does York state their results?

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

All 4 of us in my family have tested gluten sensitive and casein sensitive with the Enteorlab tests.

The Enterolabs do not tell you if you have Celiac Disease. They define all positive results as Gluten Sensitivity. In a paper I read by Dr. Fine he states that to him a sensitivity and an intolerance are the same thing. Conventional medicine has decided the only concrete way to diagnose Celiac is by biopsy of the small intestine, and obviously his tests don't do that. The gene tests they do can only tell you if you have the genes that pre-dispose you to the disease. So for our own use, a positive result with Enterolab means that you need the gluten-free diet. Whether or not you call your self Celiac, gluten intolerant, or gluten sensitive is up to you. They are all basically the same. Your body cannot digest gluten properly, so you shouldn't eat it.

Now the milk sensitivity issue is one that is a bit touchy with me and my kids. We miss certain dairy products and although we can live without them, we hope to be able to have them in the future. Dr. Fine says it is not a good idea to go back on them, my kids pediatric GI says they should eventually be able to tolerate dairy again. But then most GIs only accept an intolerance to lactose and that has been proven that you can outgrow that intolerance. I don't know how many studies have been done on casein intolerance. So we are hoping in the future to tolerate dairy, but we know it is not a guarantee...

Melanie Rookie

Ok, they all mean you can't digest gluten well, but does that mean that all levels of sensitivity will cause villi disruption or is that just celiac. That is why I'm kind of confused but because I find this diet really hard to follow. Thank you.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Celiac will cause villi damage and I think that gluten/wheat sensitivity just causes symptoms and not villi damage.

I guess with enterolab, the closest you could get to diagnosing celiac disease would be a positive gene test AND a positive gluten sensitivity test. The only way you can be sure is a by having a positive biopsy.

Celaic or not, your body obviously has an issue with gluten so I'd stay away!

judy05 Apprentice

Hi,

I am planning on testing with Enterolab. I have a problem with Gluten

and Dairy. I just saw my GI Doc and we went round and round on these

issues on Monday. He said I could not be casein (dairy) intolerant because

it would have shown up as a baby. He told me to take the Lactaid tablets

but I won't do it because I still get gassy and have numerous BM all day

and all nite, not diarrhea. I asked him to order the ELISA or York

test but he refused, he doesn't like them. He said if I wanted them to

go to an allergist, which I won't do but that's a whole other story.

Then we got onto the discussion of Gluten. Because I don't have the

Celiac gene or damage to the villi he thinks that most of my symptoms

started after a stressful time in my life. He said he just diagnosed an

80 year old woman who had just lost her husband. He said stress triggers it.

My IGA was elevated but has come down and symptoms are less intense.

Right now he thinks my Insomnia is from low serotonin levels which

I sort of agree with because I just had a migraine about a week ago,

the first in over a year. He started me on Lexapro, small dose to get

my levels up, and in 2 weeks I am to eat gluten again and see what

happens.

I want to believe this man, he has good credentials and is a professor

at the University of Pittsburgh. He has diagnosed 250 celiacs in

the last 2 years.Would appreciate your thoughts on this. I am going to

stay gluten-free whether he likes it or not. Thats why I want to do the Enterolab

test.

I want to believe this man because he was the only one of many who

even thought of testing me for Celiac and put me on a course of

Amitryptiline for a year. He said Lexapro won't cause the weight

gain, I have lost 23 pounds but need to lose more. I myself will

probably stay gluten-free, although I will do the test, and I want to prove

to him that I am sensitive to casein and gluten, which is why I

want to do Enterolab. i

judy05 Apprentice

sorry my last post got messed up, I tried to fix it but I can't.

celiac3270, if you are out there can you help?....judy

Archived