This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Dairy Free

Guest gfinnebraska

Guest gfinnebraska

I have been gluten-free for a while now, and am considering cutting dairy as well. My symptoms just don't seem to be going away like I thought they would. Does anyone know of a good milk sub. so I can still enjoy cereal? I see soy milk next to the reg. milk ~ would that work? Any brands better than others? Reading through the posts...it just seems like I am having symptoms that would disappear if the dairy disappeared as well! Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest imsohungry

Hi!

I am also striving to be dairy/casein free. What kind of regular milk do you drink now? Whole, skim, 2%??? The reason I ask is that I primarily drink skim, and I found soy milk to be very "thick." Nothing like skim or 2%. However, I tried rice milk/beverage and I think it tastes much more like milk. It is a little sweet, and I have also found it in a regular and 2%-like formula (made by Kroger). The store brand tastes just as good, and it is cheaper too! Be careful though, some rice beverages are not gluten-free (just check the label)...also, if you want it to taste like milk, don't get the "flavored" kind. I accidently picked up "original vanilla" flavored...it is NOT what I meant to buy! :rolleyes: In addition, some of them say "enriched," this just means vitamins/minerals have been added that you may be missing by not drinking milk. Good luck as you try to become CF! -Julie B)

Guest gfinnebraska

Thank you for your advice ~ I currently drink skim milk. I will have to try some soy varities and hopefully find one I like! I doubt my small town store carries rice milk. Will have to see on my lunch hour. Thanks again!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

I go with soy milk - my preference being unsweetened Silk, but everyone's tastes are different. You can also try rice milk (not Rice Dream, it's not gluten-free), almond milk, or DariFree (based on potatoes).

dbuhl79 Contributor

My better half is lactose intolerant, and he LOVEs his Lactaid milk. I think Soy is great though (unfortunately he's allergic to soy). Particularly the chocolate soy, yum. They make great smoothies too with some fruit thrown in!

Good luck with your DF /CF experience!

Guest barbara3675

The health food store I go to also has almond milk either plain or vanilla. It is really good and gluten-free. I really don't like the flavor of soy and some people don't digest is well. Rice and almond are much milder.

Barbara

gf4life Enthusiast

I've been dairy free for over a year now, and my kids for about 9 months. We have pretty much tried all the above choices. I can't say that I have all the answers, but here is what works for us.

My kids don't like soy milk and I am allergic to soy, but Silk was the best one we tried.

No one at my house really liked the rice milks. They were too watery for our liking and we already eat so much rice based products!

We like the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze drink, the plain and chocolate varieties, NOT the vanilla. The chocolate tastes really good, smooth and creamy like chocolate milk should be, good cold or hot. We tried the Pacific brand almond milk and it was not as good.

Vance's DariFree is the main "milk" we drink. Works for cereal just fine. We buy it by the case directly from Vance's website and we go through about 2 qts every 3-4 days. So a case of six will last us about 2 1/2 months. We are about to try the chocolate flavored, but I find it is just as easy to mix it with chocolate syrup or non-dairy cocoa powder. I'm only trying it because a friend of mine is buying a case and is going to let me try a carton of it.

For baking I have used the DariFree, but I have had better results from Mocha Mix. I take the regular Mocha Mix and water it down to a milk consistency, 1 part MM and 3 parts water. Then I use it just like milk in any recipe that calls for it and have had great results. This also works for creamed soup recipes. I do NOT recommend soy, rice or almond for baking. They either do not come out right or they leave an aftertaste that changes the flavor of your food.

God bless,

Mariann

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dkmb Newbie

I prefer the Silk brand soymilk. They even have a nog they make that is better than most commercial brands because it is thinner and not so loaded with spices.

It is not fortified with calcium though like most of their varieties. I have used it on my morning cereal for a different flavor. I also like the chocolate, which is quite sweet so I save it for once in a while.

DK

cynicaltomorrow Contributor

I've tried the Wild Oats brand of rice milk and Silk soymilk.. and really couldn't tell much of a difference. But, maybe that's just me. I think they're both a little too sweet. But, the chocolate Silk is pretty good. I haven't tried the almond milk. Is it any more expensive than the soy or rice milks? Has anyone found a decent cheese? And, one more question. For the bakers, what have you used when you have to substitute for evaporated milk? Thanks!

FreyaUSA Contributor

For cereal and coffee I use the No Sugar Added Silk soymilk. I really like it, though it does take a little getting used to, especially if you're used to the sweetened soymilks (which I can't use at all now. Way too sweet!)

Also, I just found (at Wholefoods) Westsoy Brand makes a No Sugar Added chocolate soymilk. This is sooooo good. Even to drink straight. It is not thick like the sweetened kinds and has a wonderful mild chocolate flavor that I use regularly in coffee and chai. Apparently, it is pretty popular since they run out very quickly.

Mariann (gf4life), where do you find Vance's DariFree? I've been trying to use less dairy (since I know I'm having problems with it, maybe lactose, maybe not...) and really only have it when baking (and with using a little cheese...I feel like it's an evil vice now. Lol!)

Guest gfinnebraska

Thank you!!! All so much for all the information. I tried our local store brand of soy milk... NOT a good first try!! I will try and find the Silk brand next. I am sure this is one more adventure to add to my already exciting eating life!! :) Again, thank you all for your input.

gf4life Enthusiast

FreyaUSA,

Vance's DariFree is available online at a lot of specialty shops, like Gluten Free Pantry, Gluten Solutions, Shop-By-Diet, etc. But I have found it is cheaper to buy directly from Vance's. Here is a link to their site: Open Original Shared Link

They also sell a soy-based drink mix, but as I am allergic to soy I have not tried it.

gfinnebraska,

Silk soy milk is usually found in the dairy case right next to the milk and creamers. At least that is where it has been at every store I have ever been to. And I believe Costco also sells it by a case of half gallons and by the individual serving case.

God bless,

Mariann

lilliexx Contributor

silk is the one i use!! it has added calcium, tastes good, and foams up good ( for lattes)

kozmik bloo Newbie

I have bad reaction to all brands of soy milk, so I use Chocolate Almond milk on my cereal. Yum! I get it at Whole Foods.

Guest gfinnebraska

ONE more question... what is cocoa butter?? Is that considered a "dairy" product?? Help!! Thanks!!

YankeeDB Contributor

I'm soy intolerant too, so I drink Rice Dreams or Better Than Milk Rice Drink. The latter tastes better and is cheaper but it's a powder you have to mix with water (ok I'm lazy). I tried Almond milk and Hazelnut and they are both good but unfortunately they include soy. I was a major milk drinker most of my life but now I don't miss it at all.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Rice Dream isn't gluten-free - it's filtered with barley.

Archived