This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This Possible?

LoriC

LoriC Apprentice

I was diagnosed with DH in late August, been gluten-free since then, with the diet and dapsone my rash has gone away. BUT, now i'm breaking out on my forehead, eyebrows and in my head (again) i've never had it on my forehead or eyebrows before. Can my makeup and hair products just now start to bother me? I did read my root lifter product and it had clearly stated Wheat Amino..so i tossed that..is there a list of hair products that are gluten-free? Thanks, Lori

OK after doing some research and calling this is what i got so far:

I called Ponds, they can not guarentee their products gluten-free

Maybelline emailed me back:

October 25, 2007

Thank you for your interest in Maybelline.

The safety of our consumers is our highest priority. As a global leader, the L'Or

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Dove products are gluten-free. Since I've been using Dove soap, shampoo, conditioner and gel, I haven't had that crazy itchy scalp and skin, or those annoying rashes on my forehead and back of my neck.

Joni63 Collaborator

Oh my gosh! Thank you for that list of gluten containing haircare/makeup items. I've never had an itchy scalp before going gluten free, but the past week I have a rash on the back of my neck, my ears are itching, and even my forehead and the upper part of my back.

I'm printing this list and checking all my personal products now.

Thank you!

LoriC Apprentice

email from almay:

Thank you for your recent comments from the Almay website and your interest in our products.

Unfortunately, because of the way cosmetic ingredients are made and transported, we cannot guarantee that a product is gluten-free.

If we can be of further assistance, please call our Consumer Information Center toll-free at 1-800-473-8566. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 5:00 PM. Any of our representatives will be glad to assist you

• 3 weeks later...
darlindeb25 Collaborator
Thank you for your recent comments from the Almay website and your interest in our products.

Unfortunately, because of the way cosmetic ingredients are made and transported, we cannot guarantee that a product is gluten-free.

Isn't that sad? One of the most well known hypo allergenic companies can't guarantee their product is gluten free--now where does allergy free come in to their product? Wheat is a hugh allergen to begin with?

And yes Lori, I do think it's possible that now, these products are starting to effect you. Our bodies have to work so hard, then when we do go gluten free, there is a healing period and they start to heal and we feel better, then, they start to really clean house and then the real cleaning begins. Now your body is telling you all the things that must go. I use Pantene, yet even some of their hair products contain wheat, so I hear, the ones I use do not. My body tells me immedietely if I am touched with wheat--instant burn. For haircolor, I use Garnier Nutresse and have not had a problem. Otherwise, I stay simple, I'm not much help with make-up.

LoriC Apprentice

I just got a reply from Garnier products:

November 13, 2007

Thank you for your interest in Garnier products.

The following list of ingredients that are used in our products are those that contain wheat and other grains. This list may also be used by the celiac patient to identify gluten-containing ingredients. This list gives the standard industry names for ingredients as found in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary.

Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour

Cyclodextrin

Dextrin

Dextrin Palmitate

Hydrolyzed Malt Extract

Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour

Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer

Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Malt Extract

Maltodextrin

Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour

Sodium C8-16 Isoalkylsuccinyl Wheat Protein Sulfonate

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch

Wheat Amino Acids

Wheat Germ Glycerides

Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride

Wheat Protein

Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate

Yeast Extract

All the ingredients we use in a product are listed on the package or on the label of the product itself. Comparing this list with the ingredients listed on our products will help you to identify the ingredients you would like to avoid.

If you would like to request an ingredient list for a specific product, please call us at 1-800-442-7643, Monday to Friday, 9 am to 7 pm, ET.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Patricia

Consumer Affairs Advisor

Archived