This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Am I Just Being A Baby?

sickchick

sickchick Community Regular

I just mixed up some Bob's red mill "whole grain" bread mix I bought, it's got some wonderful ingredients in it, but when I tasted the dough I almost threw up!! :huh:

It am normally very easy when it comes to food I love almost everything (with the exception of canned peas and lima beans)

I also bought a box of Pamelas chocolate chewy chunky cookies and they taste like soap. I keep them in my freezer for people to taste when they think I am being overly dramatic :lol:;)

So wish me luck maybe it will turn out better after it goes in the oven.

Anyone recommend any mixes that turn out? Aside from Chebe which I can't get to yet?

Thanks you guys

lovelove

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gdobson Explorer

I'm afraid the days of licking the bowl are probably over. Our mixes really don't taste that great until after baked : ).

One of my favorite mixes right now is Cherrybrook Kitchen chocolate chip cookies. I add extra chocolate chips. By the way, I found that adding extra chocolate chips to all the chocolate cake and brownie mixes makes them taste a lot better (and the texture feels better in your mouth). I also like Pamela's Decadent Chocolate Cake mix following the recipe that says to add sour cream (I use plain nonfat yogurt and of course, extra chocolate chips). Yum!

By the way, you do kind of get used to this stuff and develop a taste for it.

Best of luck.

Gina

missy'smom Collaborator

I like Namaste Choc cake mix , which I bake as cupcakes and freeze and warm individually. Good luck finding something that works or you. I used to love whole grain, whole wheat stuff so I've been using brown rice flour but I've come to realize that I don't like it. It doesn't taste bad exactly but it is so filling and I just can't get it down anymore. I'm thinking I'll stick to the white stuff that is bad for you! It's amazing how much flavor gluten adds to things!

I think it's the brown rice flour, I am not adapting to that taste at all! :lol: And sorhgum (sp?) flour it has too in the mix I bought. It's just odd. LOL!!

The cookies I bought were premade, I will try the cake mix and see how that turns out! Thx for the recommendation! :)

Thank you both so much!

bfarnsworth0709 Rookie

I know exactly what you mean. :-) I was making cookies and LOVE cookie dough, so after I put in the chocolate chips, took a big old bite, and it was the grossest thing I have ever tasted. I thought I was going to throw up. I thought maybe I just got a bad bag, b/c I had heard Bob's was so good. I chugged a whole can of pop and still couldn't get the awful taste out of my mouth. My cookies never turn out though, they are soupy or runny. Does everyone else have that problem, but after they cook are they o.k.? I usually throw the batter away b/c I figure I did something wrong and their not worth cooking.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

The Bob's Red Mill mixes you are all talking about have bean flours in them. Bean flours taste absolutely nasty before they are baked. To me it tastes metallic. After baking the bean flour taste goes away. Never try to eat the unbaked beginning of a recipe that has bean flours in it. Yech!

The bob's red mill hearty whole grain bread mix has to be the grossest thing I have ever eaten, baked or unbaked. Too much caraway flavor for me.

If you give Bob's Red mill chocolate cake mix a try, I think you will really like it. It's the best gluten-free chocolate cake mix out there, IMO. It does have the bean flour in it, so don't try to eat it raw.

Green12 Enthusiast

Yes, the raw dough, batter tastes awful - so it isn't just you. Wait to taste the finished baked/cooked product to make your judgement on the mix.

There's a lot of trial and error involved in find the different products that are keepers, and everyone's tastes are different. I actually love Pamela's Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies and you find them to taste like soap :lol:

But don't get discouraged there are lots of different products out there and options.

I have had lots of luck with Pamela's, Namaste, and Gluten Free Pantry mixes.

My faves are:

Pamelas Chocolate Cake, Brownies, and Bread mixes

Namaste Brownies, Spice Cake, and Muffin mixes

Gluten Free Pantry Brownies, Quick Mix (for biscuits)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast
The Bob's Red Mill mixes you are all talking about have bean flours in them. Bean flours taste absolutely nasty before they are baked. To me it tastes metallic. After baking the bean flour taste goes away. Never try to eat the unbaked beginning of a recipe that has bean flours in it. Yech!

Absolutely agree . . . bean flours taste and smell nasty before baking. I almost threw out the first batch of choc chip cookies (it used soy bean flour - and not even that much) because the dough tasted so bad. However, the end result was great! And funny, since I wasn't eating any dough, I had a lot more cookies! :lol:

Bread (with bean flour) is a different story - even after it is baked it still doesn't taste right to me. Maybe because there is no chocolate in there to cover it up.

Ridgewalker Contributor

I did the same thing, the first gluten-free cookies I made were Bob's Red Mill, and took a big ole bite of the raw cookie dough-- I immediately gagged and hawked it into the sink. Grown woman, wiping tongue with a towel and spitting repeatedly, etc... Not pretty. It was horrid. But the baked result was great! :D

tarnalberry Community Regular

particularly with gluten free flours, everybody's tastes are different, and it may take trial and error - a lot of trial and error - before you find what you like.

Cheri A Contributor

You may need to take a break from anything bread, cake, or cookie-related until you can *forget* what wheat tastes like. That was the best advice I got from someone who used to post here l a lot. My daughter ate only meat, veggies, and fruit for awhile.

confusedks Enthusiast

Personally, I can't stand Bob's Red Mill Mixes. I only like their pancake mix. Other than that, I think all bean flours are DIGSUSTING!!!! I can't stand the taste of them. I don't even like the Chocolate Chip Cookies when they're baked either! They are just so gross!

However, I really like the Pamela's C.C. Cookies. Especially if they are warm, the chocolate gets really melty...mmmm!

It's all a personal taste issue.

Kassandra

jerseyangel Proficient
You may need to take a break from anything bread, cake, or cookie-related until you can *forget* what wheat tastes like.

This is so true--and it just recently it dawned on me that my bread and the cookies that I do eat are tasting "normal" to me. It kind of creeps up on you :D , but you do "forget" what things made with wheat taste like and your taste buds adapt. At least mine seem to have....

Being intolerant to legumes, I've not had the pleasure of tasting or smelling doughs made with it :lol: . Sounds nasty!

I stick to Gluten Free Pantry French Bread mix, their muffin, pancake, and cornbread mixes and Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles--again, it comes down to personal taste :)

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I have found it does not taste exactly the same ever no matter what kind you use. But after gluten free for over two years you do forget what regular tastes like. I cant even remember a regular pizza anymore or a regular donut and how the taste is. Personally I love heartlands finest (this does have a little bean) or tom sawyer (gelatin). You have to try over and over again to find out what you like. Its the same way with breads. I love whole grain heavy breads so food for life bread is perfect for me since it reminds me of before gluten free but I dislike kinnikinnick tapioca loaf or gluten free pantry sandwich bread since its just like white to me.

I have found my cakes need more flavor and so do my cookies than what is in the regular recipes. With namaste white cake I punch holes in it and pour strawberry syrup from smuckers over it while its warm. With sugar cookies I add vanilla pudding dry mix to it to give it more flavor. With pancakes I mix in blueberry syrup and blueberries with extra vanilla. When I do that I get a lot of compliments on my baking.

My mother voice- Dont eat raw cookie dough :P You'll get salmonella and that would be much worse than gagging on raw dough ;)

For a good recipe that you wont have to deal with the flours at all is

Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies

2 c. sugar

2 c. peanut butter (any type)

2 egg (or egg replacer

1 tsp vanilla

enjoy life chocolate chips (casein free)

Mix first 4 ingredients. If too moist add a bit more sugar. Dump in some chocolate chips and stir. Make into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Use a fork pressing tines down. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before removing from cookie sheet and finish cooling on a cooling rack.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
For a good recipe that you wont have to deal with the flours at all is

Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies

2 c. sugar

2 c. peanut butter (any type)

2 egg (or egg replacer

1 tsp vanilla

enjoy life chocolate chips (casein free)

Mix first 4 ingredients. If too moist add a bit more sugar. Dump in some chocolate chips and stir. Make into 1" balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Use a fork pressing tines down. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before removing from cookie sheet and finish cooling on a cooling rack.

For this recipe, do NOT use turbinado sugar unless you like crunching you rsugar, I made that mistake.

If you're looking for good pre-made cookies, the Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse Choc chip cookies are unbelievable, all the non-Celiac people I know beg me to share them. They are prohibitively expensive, but still cheaper than you would have spent at the bakery.

For this recipe, do NOT use turbinado sugar unless you like crunching you rsugar, I made that mistake.

If you're looking for good pre-made cookies, the Whole Foods gluten-free Bakehouse Choc chip cookies are unbelievable, all the non-Celiac people I know beg me to share them. They are prohibitively expensive, but still cheaper than you would have spent at the bakery.

What is turbinado sugar? I always use powdered sugar.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
What is turbinado sugar? I always use powdered sugar.

It's raw sugar, unprocessed, it looks like really big salt crystals, usually kinda brown. Very tsaty in recipes where it will dissolve properly, but the PB cookies isn't one of those recipes.....

Thanks I just looked it up myself they look like huge crystals I can see why they wouldnt melt well at all. I know regular white sugar works well in these also.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

It's not just you, I threw out the first (and only) bag of bean flour I ever bought because I was sure it was bad.

Funny thing is, after it's baked, a mix with bean flour in it turns out fantastic--the texture is fine, the crumb is moist, and there is no bean flavor or odor anywhere. But raw---eewwwww (we need an emoticon holding its nose here).

I make the same peanut butter cookie as above, but I use brown sugar.

RUN to your nearest bookstore or to amazon .com and order Annalise Roberts' gluten-free Baking Classics--her recipes taste like normal, REALLY GOOD, gluteny recipes, even my gluten-eating family agrees.

She also has a website: www.foodphilosopher.com--click on recipes, then on gluten-free archives.

OMG thank you all for finding the humor in this... :D

I got the bread mix and it WAS indeed buckwheat and bean flours and I was so clueless how they were supposed to turn out :)

I guess I just need to retrain my palette lol

The bobs bread is not as awful as it was before it was baked... I was gagging and it's almost palateable now! HAHAHAHAHA it's similar to dark rye bread. It's got those caraway seeds in it too I think.

I need to try other things too I am just going to try and be optomistic! lol

thanks so much for the cookie recipe I am psyched!:):):)

all my love

xx

Your welcome for the recipe. I love it since I usually have those items on hand when I get the urge to make cookies.

Im glad it was better after cooked. Going gluten free makes you really appreciate good baked goods :D

Aligray Apprentice

Hey there!

Okay, I have been a cookie dough conosier (sp?) since high school! Making raw dough and eating it was my snack LOL :lol:

Sooo, since going gluten-free i have had many moments where i needed my raw cookie dough fix and this is what i have found..... :lol:;)

Gluten Free Pantry cookie dough......nasty raw!..never cooked it cause i did not like the raw taste.

Authentic Foods Mix.....DELICIOUS raw AND cooked (this is my absolute favorite!) My parents' and son's fav too and they are gluten eaters!

Pamela's brownie mix....pretty good raw...a little grainy...good cooked but still grainy. Most people rave about pamelas brownie mix. I have only cooked it once so im not sure if i did something wrong.

365 Whole Foods brand Cookie mix.....pretty good raw and okay cooked...also grainy...but still pretty yummy.

365 Whole Foods brand Brownie mix.....soooooo good raw! and INCREDIBLE cooked!!!

I also tried to make my own dough ONCE from scratch bc i was having a dough craving and i will NEVER do that again! ICK! So nasty! the taste was indescribable! I also spit and hacked and wiped my mouth out!

And yes ;) I have heard the salmonilla tales from my mother half of my life and now from the guy i am dating :lol: BUT i love my dough :)

-Ali :)

bfarnsworth0709 Rookie

Cookie dough is such a comfort food for a girl! Just like big carton of ice cream and chocolate when your heart has been broken. I am glad to hear that there are dough's out there that don't taste nasty, when I am craving that fix for cookie dough.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I also tried to make my own dough ONCE from scratch bc i was having a dough craving and i will NEVER do that again! ICK! So nasty! the taste was indescribable!

-Ali :)

I make a double batch of Annalise Roberts' brown rice flour mix (6 cups FINELY GROUND brown rice flour, 2 cups potato starch, 1 cup tapioca starch), and then just measure out what I need (I usually use half white rice flour as it is much cheaper) to make the following cookies:

(NOTE: don't forget the xanthan gum, it's totally necessary! And yes, these cookies taste just like tollhouse, you will find yourself fighting gluten-eating family members for the dough!)

Food Philosopher

Archived