34 replies to this topic

#16 Cheri A

Cheri A

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:00 AM

I just wanted to post that I made Patti's Easy Gluten Free Cookie recipe again on Valentines Day. I dyed the dough pink and cut them out with hearts. They came out spectacular! Everyone loved them, including gluten lovers.

My modifications are using a sorghum, potato starch, tapioca starch blend and using 1/4 cup of applesauce to sub for egg. I did not chill the dough either.

I will upload a photo soon!
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

I just wanted to post that I made Patti's Easy Gluten Free Cookie recipe again on Valentines Day. I dyed the dough pink and cut them out with hearts. They came out spectacular! Everyone loved them, including gluten lovers.

My modifications are using a sorghum, potato starch, tapioca starch blend and using 1/4 cup of applesauce to sub for egg. I did not chill the dough either.

I will upload a photo soon!

I copied you exactly using jerseyangels posted recipe above...wonderful, delicious, fantastic, thank-you...mmm...so good, yummy, tastey,...mmm...I put colored sugar on them...mmm...mmm...mmm...!!!

Darn...I only made 1/4 of a recipe, now I gotta start over ;)

I just ate 3 in a row...mmm!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#18 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:15 AM

Yay!! I'm glad that you enjoyed them, too. I'm getting ready to make some more tomorrow. I'm making reindeer faces. I'll have to post a picture later. After baking, I'll cut the cookies into pie-shaped wedges and frost with melted Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Then I'll put broken Glutino pretzels on either side of the round top for antlers; skittles for eyes and nose.

I made them last year and my daughter loved them. I think the original recipe called for m&ms, chocolate frosting, and red hots.

I'm also going to make cut-out cookies for the kids to frost when they are out of school.
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#19 HiDee

HiDee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

This is another good sugar cookie recipe that we recently tried:
http://www.recipezaa...-Cookies-183003
as one review said, roll them a little thick so that they're softer.

#20 casnco

casnco

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:24 AM

Your wish is my command :D

These are really good--I think they taste like "regular" sugar cookies, and the prep is the same....

SUGAR COOKIES

1 cup shortening (I use Spectrum)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups rice flour blend (I simply use 2 cups of rice flour and one cup of potato starch--I'm intolerant to tapioca)
1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream shortening and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. When combined, add dry ingredients. Wrap dough (I also flatten it a little) and chill for about an hour. Roll out and cut as desired.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Cool, frost and decorate.

This dough makes a great "crust" for a fruit pizza or tart. It also doubles very well.

Have fun! ;)

I used this recipe and it was fabulous!!! I use butter for my shortning and a mixture of Pamela's bakeing mix and brown rice flour. I also added about 1/4 cup of milk because the dough was very dry. I did not refridgerate the dough. I just rolled it out without any issues. These are the best sugar cookies I have ever made!!!! Including my pre=glutenfree lifestyle.

#21 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:17 AM

Yay!! I'm glad that you enjoyed them, too. I'm getting ready to make some more tomorrow. I'm making reindeer faces. I'll have to post a picture later. After baking, I'll cut the cookies into pie-shaped wedges and frost with melted Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Then I'll put broken Glutino pretzels on either side of the round top for antlers; skittles for eyes and nose.

I made them last year and my daughter loved them. I think the original recipe called for m&ms, chocolate frosting, and red hots.

I'm also going to make cut-out cookies for the kids to frost when they are out of school.

these sound adorable!
This is the recipe I've printed out to make next time I have a little spare time :)
http://daringtothriv...free-sugar.html
Anyone have a good DF frosting recipe? I used to always make mine w/ cream cheese frosting, but can't do that anymore :(
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#22 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:39 AM

these sound adorable!
This is the recipe I've printed out to make next time I have a little spare time :)
http://daringtothriv...free-sugar.html
Anyone have a good DF frosting recipe? I used to always make mine w/ cream cheese frosting, but can't do that anymore :(

Here is a choc frosting I still want to try:

http://www.recipezaar.com/300324

Isn't Pillsbury vanilla frosting gluten-free/df?? Does anyone know for sure?? Thanks!
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#23 nutrifoodie

nutrifoodie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

Here is a choc frosting I still want to try:

http://www.recipezaar.com/300324

Isn't Pillsbury vanilla frosting gluten-free/df?? Does anyone know for sure?? Thanks!

I like Land O' Lakes recipes.. I haven't gluten freed many of them, but I did one once for their vanilla pound cake, and it turned out AMAZING!

Just thought I'd put that out there.. :)

2006- IgG: various food intolerances
Wheat/Gluten free: February 2008
Soy free (IgA stool-positive): April 2008
GLUTEN free: 10/6/08
Dairy-lite: May 2008
Vegan: July 2008 - October 2008
Hypothyroid: August 2008

pro-vegetable
pro- RAW dairy
anti-sugar
pro-health and fitness

#24 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

I like Land O' Lakes recipes.. I haven't gluten freed many of them, but I did one once for their vanilla pound cake, and it turned out AMAZING!

Just thought I'd put that out there.. :)

I like their recipes, too. The gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe is very good--tastes just like Toll House! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#25 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

You know, I think it is. Over the summer I made a carrot cake and I think that's the one I used to frost it with...just stopped buying it b/c I thought I was reacting to soy. I'm gonna have to check when I'm at the store tomorrow! Thanks for reminding me!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#26 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:57 AM

I made Patti's recipe yesterday using butter because it's what I had. I also added tsp. of almond flavoring because that's what I always did BGF. Because time and space were both issues, after chilling the dough I just made little balls that I flattened with a fork like a peanut butter cookie, and then added red and green sprinkles.

They passed the daughter test with flying colors! She announced that they tasted "normal" :lol: and said we should bake them all year!

THANK YOU, PATTI!

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#27 Katester

Katester

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

Gluten-free Sugar Cookies

Even though I advocate finding joy in foods that are naturally gluten-free, it is the holidays. And I still like some traditions. No matter what, I still like roll-out sugar cookies, thick and threaded through with vanilla, cut into Christmas-tree shapes and frosted with buttercream frosting.

This is a recipe I adapted from Sonya Joseph's gluten-free cooking class I took at the beginning of the month. They work. They'll fill that need.

2 1/2 cups of your favorite gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons of xanthan gum (omit if your gluten-free flour mix already contains this)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla (make sure it's gluten-free. Use only pure vanilla, please.)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

After you have preheated the oven to 350, mix all the dry ingredients together and set that bowl aside.

Cream together the shortenings and sugar, preferably with a standing mixer. Then, add the egg and vanilla. Beat these as long as you can. The more airy and whipped they are, the better the cookies will taste.

Add the dry ingredients, along with the nutmeg.

Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour. This is essential for gluten-free doughs.

When the dough is properly chilled, roll it out to 1/2-inch thickness and cut with your favorite cookie cutters.

Bake on an ungreased baking sheet (preferably with a silpat), for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on your oven.

Voila!

I used this recipe. Probably the best gluten-free cookies I've made yet. Amazing!!! Huge praise to Shauna Ahern!!! I'd say definitely give this recipe a try. They were delicious and gone in a day.

symptoms-october 5th, 2007
negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007
positive bloodwork-january 2008
diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

#28 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

THANK YOU, PATTI![/color]

You are most welcome, and I'm so happy your daughter liked them :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#29 TrillumHunter

TrillumHunter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:46 AM

Great recipe! I used all butter as that is what I had in the house. They rolled our beautifully into many shapes. Slightly underbaking them produces a soft in the middle cookie. I'm going to make some into Milano type cookies when they cool down. I shaped some into pretzel shapes and sprinkled with coarse sugar. They look like the ones in the blue tins everyone has at Christmas---but they taste way better!

Yeah Patti!

#30 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

Soft Gluten Free Sugar Cookies

INGREDIENTS
4 cups gluten free flour (I use this mix: 1 cup cornstarch, 1 cup tapioca flour, 1 cup rice flour, 1 TBSP potato flour)
3 teaspoons guar/xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream

DIRECTIONS
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg, vanilla and sour cream until well blended. Stir in the sifted ingredients. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com years ago, and it became "my" sugar cookie recipe. I modified it to take it gluten free. The cookies are incredibly soft, so much so that they even take a little longer to dry out than most gluten free cookies. ;) I hope it works well for you.

I made these cookies this morning, while the taste was wonderful, I had a lot of trouble with the cookies crumbling. I used Tom Sawyer's flour blend and omitted the xanthan gum since the flour mix already has it in. By the last cookie sheet I figured out these things: Roll out the dough to at least 1/2" thick or more and don't leave the cookies rest 5 min. on the pan, remove them promply. When I followed the directions exactly, The cookies stuck to the cookie sheet leaving half the cookie behind and they would just crumble. I have had a similar experience with chocolate chip cookies. Anyone know how to remedy the "crumbling" cookie?

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: