Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is All Maple Syrup Gluten Free?

8 posts in this topic

I am very new to all this so please pardon my ignorance. Is maple syrup gluten free? I was at Wild Oatts and did not see a tag and the even the management could not answer that question. Also, is non alcoholic vanilla flavoring gluten free?

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Yes, all maple syrup (not the fake stuff) is gluten-free. I wouldn't buy vanilla flavouring, but rather, pure vanilla extract. Some flavourings have gluten in them.

But others might know more than me, as I never bothered to find out, as I am intolerant to vanilla either way (too high in salicylates).

Pure maple syrup is gluten-free--it only has the one ingredient.

McCormicks Pure Vanilla Extract is gluten-free--McCormick will clearly list any gluten on the label. I use their extracts and spices.

Like others have said, pure maple syrup is gluten-free. Processed fake maple syrup (the stuff found at conventional grocery stores that contains a bajillion ingredients) can sometimes contain gluten. If the stuff you found at Wild Oats is 100% pure maple syrup, it should be safe :)

I found a great syrup at Walmart that is called Maple Grove and is gluten-free and sugar free. It even says "gluten-free" on the label!

Most (not all) true vanilla extracts are gluten free, even if it's kept in grain alcohol since the distillation process for the alcohol removes the gluten. This is why people with Celiac Disease can still have scotch, whiskey, vodka, plain vinegar, etc. It's the beer and malt liquor (and malt vinegar), since they are not completely distilled, that you can't have.

I found a great syrup at Walmart that is called Maple Grove and is gluten-free and sugar free. It even says "gluten-free" on the label!

Really? I must have missed it...where does it say that on the bottle? I'd double check that.

Yes, Maple Grove Farms pure maple syrup is now being sold at Walmart.....at least where I live. Previously, I could only find it at natural food stores. It's expensive, worth it, and the price at Walmart is a bit less. The label reads: All natural U.S. Grade A Dark Amber. No preservatives. Product of USA and Canada. I had some today on French Toast....yummy.

I've recently discovered agave nectar which I can purchase in bulk from my local natural food store.....when you are out of maple syrup, perhaps the agave would be a good substitute.