• 99 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

Im reacting to Mug root beer right now.
Kill me :(
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator.
-------------------------
Diagnosed 9/28/09; Gluten free diet started 10/4/09.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Googles

Googles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

I reacted this weekend to Barq's root beer. UGH!!!!

#18 sunnybabi1986

sunnybabi1986

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

According to Clan Thompson's Celiac Food SmartList, the following root beer brands are gluten free:

A&W, regular and diet (10/06/2009)
Barq's, caffeine free, regular, and diet (3/23/2009)
Mug Root Beer, regular and diet (12/3/2009)

There are a lot more listed, but these were the brands I saw mentioned on this thread.
Gluten Free since October 2009

If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" - Milton Berle

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it."--Lou Holtz

#19 kbjoseph

kbjoseph

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:19 AM

I'm very new to a gluten-free diet and I've discovered I had a reaction to Mugs diet root beer. Very upseting since I love it so much. I didn't realize it at first, but I had major fogginess and then an intense headache. Can anyone explain the ingredient that I should look out for in other sodas? I've read the Mugs diet RB ingredients and I can't figure it out. Thanks!!

#20 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:56 AM

I am not aware of any brand of root beer that contains gluten. There are other things in sodas that can cause a reaction in some people.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#21 Muffy

Muffy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

I have been getting glutenized and it might be the A&W I've been sipping from my husbands can. Which would also explain why he has that rash again... (he is also gluten-free).

I didn't think of the coloring. I thought it might be the vanilla. The more I think about the corn factor though the more I realize it is just not worth trying to drink. Yuck. Maybe now I can finally ditch this headache I've been brewing before it gets to full blown migraine levels.

Thanks, this thread was very helpful!

I am not aware of any brand of root beer that contains gluten. There are other things in sodas that can cause a reaction in some people.

...Muffy

Grain-free
Dairy-free
Soy-free
Canola Oil-free
Refined Fructose-lite

#22 fiona14

fiona14

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Mug says clearly at its website that it's gluten-free, and several of you have confirmed that. But what about DIET Mug root beer? I'm not finding anything specific. I had what I call a "celiac attack" 2 nights ago and trying to figure out the source. Diet Mug root beer could be the culprit. Thanks for any info.

#23 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Mug says clearly at its website that it's gluten-free, and several of you have confirmed that. But what about DIET Mug root beer? I'm not finding anything specific. I had what I call a "celiac attack" 2 nights ago and trying to figure out the source. Diet Mug root beer could be the culprit. Thanks for any info.

Not likely to have gluten. Barley malt as a sweetener would add calories, forgone thing. And it pull be listed in the ingredients. I have Celiac type symptoms from some of the artificial sweeteners.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#24 Jrose3009

Jrose3009

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

mug root beer is my go to laxaxtive .. just sayin :-D no brain fog though like i normally get with gluten

#25 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I was glutened by root bear once. I beleive it was Barks Rootbeer and one of the ingredients in it was modified food starch.

If there is anything like food starch, or starch without stating what the source of the starch is, just assume it is wheat.

I only drank about an inch from the bottle and I was sick for three days.

#26 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

In the US, it is illegal to not label the wheat. If it were wheat, it would say starch ( wheat) or something like that. I'm sorry that the soda made you feel bad, but it was not gluten.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#27 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

I was glutened by root bear once. I beleive it was Barks Rootbeer and one of the ingredients in it was modified food starch.

If there is anything like food starch, or starch without stating what the source of the starch is, just assume it is wheat.

I only drank about an inch from the bottle and I was sick for three days.

I think you have it the other way around. If you see 'modified food starch' you can assume that it has NO wheat. Wheat by law, in the US, must be listed as 'modified food startch (wheat)'.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#28 ajnemajrje

ajnemajrje

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

I think you have it the other way around. If you see 'modified food starch' you can assume that it has NO wheat. Wheat by law, in the US, must be listed as 'modified food startch (wheat)'.

This was not in the US. And I got very ill after drinking it so I assume that it was wheat. On lables in Canada if there is any starch - modified or not - it must be labled as to the source of the starch. Most of the ones with modified food starch are either wheat or corn here. But this was a few years ago and the source was not identified. From the reaction I had, it was gluten.

#29 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

This was not in the US. And I got very ill after drinking it so I assume that it was wheat. On lables in Canada if there is any starch - modified or not - it must be labled as to the source of the starch. Most of the ones with modified food starch are either wheat or corn here. But this was a few years ago and the source was not identified. From the reaction I had, it was gluten.

Barq's Root Beer is a US manufactured product and in 2012 it was purchased by Coke. It is listed as gluten free, currently. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#30 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

Root Beer, ginger beer and ginger ale may contain malt [Barley] ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: