Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Body Lotion

17 posts in this topic

Now that I don't trust AVON 100% any longer, anyone know of a gluten-free unscented or neutral scented body lotion? (I have allergies to fragrances and my husband doesn't want to smell "pretty" ....

Ads by Google:

So Deb, Avon's Moisture Therapy is a no-no now? That was always the best lotion ever for my hands. As for the hubby and not wanting to "smell pretty", I would have to have my own lotion, cause I always like to smell pretty. I use some of the Bath & Body Works Lotions that still haven't bothered me YET. I love Sweet Pea and White Tea and Ginger. He could have some Cocoa Butter lotion, which sometimes doesn't have much of a scent, but is very good for the skin. Does your hubby have bad skin too. I know he has a lot of health issues. I bought a bottle of St. Ives Swiss Formula Aloe and Chamomile Advanced Body Moisturzer for this winter. I havent tried it yet. I only bought it because they had sent me a coupon for a free bottle of lotion--I had purchased something of their's that was supposed to be hypoallergenic and it had wheat in it, which I had missed and I broke out in hives--I emailed them telling them they really can not make a product calling it hypoallergenic and include such a huge allergen in the ingredients! They apologized for my hives and gave me this coupon. The only product they have that didn't have that huge 25 letter wheat word in it is this lotion, and I hope I haven't missed it again in something else.

I wish the govt would make all these companies list these ingredients in simple terms, so it was easy for us to know. I mean--geez, I work for an optometrist and I know what things like myopia, astigmatism, conjunctivitis, keritikonis mean, but I wouldn't necessarily know if I didn't work there. Unless you are a scientist, it is difficult to read these darn ingredients. I am getting to the point where if a product has more than 10 ingredients, I want to leave it on the shelf! :( So when I find a lotion that doesn't give me a rash or any other reaction, I stick with it!

The last I knew, Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion's are gluten free and they have a nice line, just watch out for oats, if that is a problem for you. I break out in hives with oats too, they may bother your hubby too.

How you been feeling Deb?

So Deb, Avon's Moisture Therapy is a no-no now? That was always the best lotion ever for my hands. As for the hubby and not wanting to "smell pretty", I would have to have my own lotion, cause I always like to smell pretty. I use some of the Bath & Body Works Lotions that still haven't bothered me YET. I love Sweet Pea and White Tea and Ginger. He could have some Cocoa Butter lotion, which sometimes doesn't have much of a scent, but is very good for the skin. Does your hubby have bad skin too. I know he has a lot of health issues. I bought a bottle of St. Ives Swiss Formula Aloe and Chamomile Advanced Body Moisturzer for this winter. I havent tried it yet. I only bought it because they had sent me a coupon for a free bottle of lotion--I had purchased something of their's that was supposed to be hypoallergenic and it had wheat in it, which I had missed and I broke out in hives--I emailed them telling them they really can not make a product calling it hypoallergenic and include such a huge allergen in the ingredients! They apologized for my hives and gave me this coupon. The only product they have that didn't have that huge 25 letter wheat word in it is this lotion, and I hope I haven't missed it again in something else.

I wish the govt would make all these companies list these ingredients in simple terms, so it was easy for us to know. I mean--geez, I work for an optometrist and I know what things like myopia, astigmatism, conjunctivitis, keritikonis mean, but I wouldn't necessarily know if I didn't work there. Unless you are a scientist, it is difficult to read these darn ingredients. I am getting to the point where if a product has more than 10 ingredients, I want to leave it on the shelf! :( So when I find a lotion that doesn't give me a rash or any other reaction, I stick with it!

The last I knew, Vaseline Intensive Care Lotion's are gluten free and they have a nice line, just watch out for oats, if that is a problem for you. I break out in hives with oats too, they may bother your hubby too.

How you been feeling Deb?

No, so far Avon is so-so, but they no longer have a gluten-free list. You have to call them about each product every time you have a question and I called them about the Care Deeply with Oatmeal and was told that this product was gluten-free......

So I have some misgivings about their ability to accurately report on their products.

I am not crazy about Vaseline Intensive (I don't remember if it was scent related or texture related as to why I didn't like it). I have scent and skin issues due to allergies to herbs and flowers and perfume.....hubby is DH/gluten sensitive and needs neutral scent...

Had gallbladder out in August (was so sick I thought I was dying)...anyway now I feel better than I did since at least Jan 07. Didn't realize I was so sick for so long.

I believe Dove has a sensitive lotion. I really like the Dove products. I'm not sure though if sensitive means hypoallergenic or not. You may also have scent issues with it as Dove is lightly scented.

I've had great luck with the St Ives Intensive Healing Lotion. It is unscented and hypo allergenic.

We are new to gluten-free. We are also Feingold (avoid petroleum based additives, etc.) I have found the most amazing lotion by recommendation of other Feingold families. It is called Gloves in a Bottle.

Because my ds can't color with markers and such because it absorbs into his skin and makes him react, this lotion was recommended to me. It provides an actual barrier for your skin against everything on the outside while still allowing your skin to function as it is supposed to. I received it less than a week ago and it has already proven itself to be amazing in my house. I used it on my 2 yo when he got a deep scratch on his nose and it healed up immediately. My teen dd had some infected acne spots and she washed her face well and then applied it and the infection was gone by the end of the day. Normally the infected spots have trouble healing and stay for days. I have had a problem for months with my bottom lip being chapped and not healing. I tried just leaving it alone and drinking lots of water (because balms and such can make your lips worse), but it wouldn't heal. I applied the tiniest amount of Gloves in a Bottle for a couple days and my lips healed up. It isn't that you are applying medicine to your skin. You are just protecting your skin so it can do the job it is supposed to of healing itself. The website is:

http://www.glovesinabottle.com/

I didn't see anything specifically saying the product is gluten-free on the website above, but I did find this:

http://www.dry-skin.net/faq.html#1

which is another site that is also Gloves in a Bottle.

Hope that helps,

Cathy

Vaseline Intensive Care has recently come out with an SPF 15 body lotion that's gluten-free. I've been using that for the extra sun protection.

Darlindeb- what is the 25 letter wheat word u speak of? I am new to trying to determine which products are gluten free. What other terms am i looking for other than wheat?

I wrote Gold Bond a couple of months ago and they stated that all of their products are gluten free. The Ultimate Lotions seem to work very well, but they are scented. I'm not sure if the other ones are scented or not.

I recently had a difficult time finding unscented shampoo...had to get it over internet at drugstore.com

Neutrogena used to make one.....the new one is DHS brand made by Person & Covey Inc. of Glendale CA www.personandcovey.com

I appears to be gluten-free

The ingredients are: Purified Water, TEA-Lauryl Sulfate*, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-8 Distearate, Benzyl Alcohol, Cocamide MEA, Polyquatermium-22, Citric Acid

* yes I have allergies to sulfates too but sometimes you just can't avoid this...and this product does not appear to have any coloring in it either.

Sorry Aligray, I do not have a bottle of it here, I am going to shopping in a little bit here, I will write it down in the store and get back to you--ok. I'm not sure it is 25 letters, but it's close. Hehe.

I use Kiss My Face lotion. They have a couple of lotions that are gluten free. I like the Honey & Calendula lotion. It does have a light fragrance. The Olive & Aloe Moisturizer is fragrance free and gluten-free. They list the products that DO contain gluten here: http://www.kissmyface.com/content/articles/faq.pasp#gluten

Ok Aligray--the word is hydroxyproytrimonium and the other word to watch out for is stearsmidproyldimethylamine--they both are contected to wheat--I found them in the "products derived from wheat" lists and I am not sure how they were used, in what context, just know I am not touching them in any way. I know I broke out in hives after using the lotion, then researched it.

I never though of body lotion and shampoo and hand lotion. I am new to this and never gave them a thought. I was using aveeno! My hands often itch.

I never though of body lotion and shampoo and hand lotion. I am new to this and never gave them a thought. I was using aveeno! My hands often itch.

Doesn't aveeno have oats in their products? That is what I always associated aveeno with.

I like Vaseline, Johnson and Johnson Softlotions and Udderly Smooth foot cream.

Herbology Beauty Co. is a gluten free beauty company. Owner of company is Celiac.

Saw her speak at health food store in NYC. Good information on reading labels, etc.

I found (through my massage therapist of all people) a whole product line of gluten free, hypoallergenic, natural, and even organic lotions, exfoliates, oil, creams, gels, anti-cellulite, foot balm, sport cooling gel and spray, Shea Butter, and even Detergent!!!

Its from Bon Vital'. Seems to good to be true, I know but call them up and check it out. All their products are gluten free! The website is http://www.bonvital.com/ and their customer service number number is 800-253-6466