This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling Sick And Blood In Stool....starting To Get Worried

Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge Community Regular

so i went to the bathroom today and there was blood there. lots. and very red. what does this mean? and my stomach aches, kind of cramping. also, on wednesday, i was pretty sick. had a bad blood sugar drop (didn't bring enough to eat at work, and was too busy to do anything about it). i started getting so shaky i couldn't do my job, so i went downstairs and ate someone's yogurt, then had some dried peaches, and some peanut butter. drank a bottle of water too. a half hour later, i was driving home from work, and i threw up all of it, all over myself and my car. it was miserable. i had bad stomach cramps the rest of the night, but nothing else. felt a little queasy the next day, but was fine otherwise. then today...different kind of stomach ache, and more blood then i've ever seen in my stool. i asked my dr about it a year ago, and he said that once in a while, a little blood isn't any thing to be concerned about. this feels different. should i be making an appointment? i'm hesitant, as we have no insurance until next month, but i don't want to neglect something big. what do i do?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

Have you been having alot of constipation or alot of the big d???? either of those could bother hemmroids....which is generally the cause of bright red blood. Blood from higher up in teh intestines is generally dark in color or makes you poo look really dark.

Have you been cc'd or glutened??? If the cause of your not feeling well is unkown then I would get seen! That coupled with teh blood in teh stool(especially if it's happening more than once or twice in a day)....if it were me I'd get checked!!!

Guest OyVay

If are you are having repeated bouts of blood every time you go, I would not ignore it. My father recently had a bout of diverticulitis and then a very serious diverticular bleed that, thankfully, resolved itself after hospitlization.

Good luck.

so i went to the bathroom today and there was blood there. lots. and very red. what does this mean? and my stomach aches, kind of cramping. also, on wednesday, i was pretty sick. had a bad blood sugar drop (didn't bring enough to eat at work, and was too busy to do anything about it). i started getting so shaky i couldn't do my job, so i went downstairs and ate someone's yogurt, then had some dried peaches, and some peanut butter. drank a bottle of water too. a half hour later, i was driving home from work, and i threw up all of it, all over myself and my car. it was miserable. i had bad stomach cramps the rest of the night, but nothing else. felt a little queasy the next day, but was fine otherwise. then today...different kind of stomach ache, and more blood then i've ever seen in my stool. i asked my dr about it a year ago, and he said that once in a while, a little blood isn't any thing to be concerned about. this feels different. should i be making an appointment? i'm hesitant, as we have no insurance until next month, but i don't want to neglect something big. what do i do?
Sweetfudge Community Regular

as far as bm's go, i'm usually in the middle. i believe i've had problems w/ hem's so i am very careful not to aggravate them. i take flaxseed oil as well, to help things along. could be i got glutened. also, dh just mentioned this, i have been eating a lot of dairy (ice cream) which i don't normally eat. i think that's causing the tummy ache, today anyway. i had a bowl last night, and one this afternoon, and the ache has gotten worse over the course of the night. don't know if that would cause the blood.

Guest OyVay

You might be lactose intolerant, but I don't think it would cause blood. Was the ice cream (yum) gluten-free?

as far as bm's go, i'm usually in the middle. i believe i've had problems w/ hem's so i am very careful not to aggravate them. i take flaxseed oil as well, to help things along. could be i got glutened. also, dh just mentioned this, i have been eating a lot of dairy (ice cream) which i don't normally eat. i think that's causing the tummy ache, today anyway. i had a bowl last night, and one this afternoon, and the ache has gotten worse over the course of the night. don't know if that would cause the blood.
blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I hope you are feeling better. The stomach bug has been going around my office and that has made me sick the past few days. it is like a real bad glutening.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Not to put too fine a point on it, but are you getting blood IN your stool, or more on the paper when you wipe? If it's the paper when you wipe, you probably PO'd your hemmorhoids. If it's IN your stool, I would be very concerned. Especially since you've also experienced vomiting around the same time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sparkles Contributor

NOT to scare you, BUT the blood in my stool was the first sign of colon cancer! Don't ignore this... it could be nothing or it could be something.... and that something can be fatal! The blood went away after a few days but by that time, someone had cancelled their colonoscopy and I took that appointment and the cancerous polyp was discovered. If I had ignored the blood, not gone to the doc, not had someone cancel their appointment for a colonoscopy, I would not be here today! It was a fast growing cancer and it was found almost immediately! I am blessed..... Don't ignore the warning..... AND I do hope that it is nothing....

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Everyone is right to tell you not to ignore this, and not to wait--but if you don't have insurance til next month, that really is something to consider, too--if it turns out to be something requiring expensive tests/treatments, you will be responsible for EVERYTHING, even after your insurance kicks in (pre-existing condition).

For the next couple of days, I would TOTALLY avoid all dairy. If you are dying for ice cream, you might try Sharon's Coconut Sorbet--yummy, creamy, and totally dairy-free. And please please PLEASE try to eat a healthy diet.

I had some weird kind of undiagnosed hypoglycemia in junior high--my mom would make me French toast for breakfast, and I would be dizzy, nauseated, and shaky by lunchtime. The school nurse tried having me eat an apple before lunchtime came around, but I would vomit. A couple of times, I passed out.

The answer (remember, nobody considered hypoglycemia, the doctor just said that I was "sensitive." :ph34r: ) ended up being breakfast--if I ate eggs for breakfast, I was perfectly fine.

So please try a high-protein, low-carb breakfast, and helathy, high-protein snacks throughout the day and let us know if things get better!

Archived