8 replies to this topic

#1 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:42 PM

so i went to the bathroom today and there was blood there. lots. and very red. what does this mean? and my stomach aches, kind of cramping. also, on wednesday, i was pretty sick. had a bad blood sugar drop (didn't bring enough to eat at work, and was too busy to do anything about it). i started getting so shaky i couldn't do my job, so i went downstairs and ate someone's yogurt, then had some dried peaches, and some peanut butter. drank a bottle of water too. a half hour later, i was driving home from work, and i threw up all of it, all over myself and my car. it was miserable. i had bad stomach cramps the rest of the night, but nothing else. felt a little queasy the next day, but was fine otherwise. then today...different kind of stomach ache, and more blood then i've ever seen in my stool. i asked my dr about it a year ago, and he said that once in a while, a little blood isn't any thing to be concerned about. this feels different. should i be making an appointment? i'm hesitant, as we have no insurance until next month, but i don't want to neglect something big. what do i do?
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 05:55 PM

Have you been having alot of constipation or alot of the big d???? either of those could bother hemmroids....which is generally the cause of bright red blood. Blood from higher up in teh intestines is generally dark in color or makes you poo look really dark.

Have you been cc'd or glutened??? If the cause of your not feeling well is unkown then I would get seen! That coupled with teh blood in teh stool(especially if it's happening more than once or twice in a day)....if it were me I'd get checked!!!

#3 Guest_OyVay_*

Guest_OyVay_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:00 PM

If are you are having repeated bouts of blood every time you go, I would not ignore it. My father recently had a bout of diverticulitis and then a very serious diverticular bleed that, thankfully, resolved itself after hospitlization.

Good luck.

so i went to the bathroom today and there was blood there. lots. and very red. what does this mean? and my stomach aches, kind of cramping. also, on wednesday, i was pretty sick. had a bad blood sugar drop (didn't bring enough to eat at work, and was too busy to do anything about it). i started getting so shaky i couldn't do my job, so i went downstairs and ate someone's yogurt, then had some dried peaches, and some peanut butter. drank a bottle of water too. a half hour later, i was driving home from work, and i threw up all of it, all over myself and my car. it was miserable. i had bad stomach cramps the rest of the night, but nothing else. felt a little queasy the next day, but was fine otherwise. then today...different kind of stomach ache, and more blood then i've ever seen in my stool. i asked my dr about it a year ago, and he said that once in a while, a little blood isn't any thing to be concerned about. this feels different. should i be making an appointment? i'm hesitant, as we have no insurance until next month, but i don't want to neglect something big. what do i do?

#4 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

as far as bm's go, i'm usually in the middle. i believe i've had problems w/ hem's so i am very careful not to aggravate them. i take flaxseed oil as well, to help things along. could be i got glutened. also, dh just mentioned this, i have been eating a lot of dairy (ice cream) which i don't normally eat. i think that's causing the tummy ache, today anyway. i had a bowl last night, and one this afternoon, and the ache has gotten worse over the course of the night. don't know if that would cause the blood.
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#5 Guest_OyVay_*

Guest_OyVay_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:23 PM

You might be lactose intolerant, but I don't think it would cause blood. Was the ice cream (yum) gluten-free?

as far as bm's go, i'm usually in the middle. i believe i've had problems w/ hem's so i am very careful not to aggravate them. i take flaxseed oil as well, to help things along. could be i got glutened. also, dh just mentioned this, i have been eating a lot of dairy (ice cream) which i don't normally eat. i think that's causing the tummy ache, today anyway. i had a bowl last night, and one this afternoon, and the ache has gotten worse over the course of the night. don't know if that would cause the blood.

#6 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 07:53 PM

I hope you are feeling better. The stomach bug has been going around my office and that has made me sick the past few days. it is like a real bad glutening.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#7 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:07 PM

Not to put too fine a point on it, but are you getting blood IN your stool, or more on the paper when you wipe? If it's the paper when you wipe, you probably PO'd your hemmorhoids. If it's IN your stool, I would be very concerned. Especially since you've also experienced vomiting around the same time.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#8 sparkles

sparkles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:28 PM

NOT to scare you, BUT the blood in my stool was the first sign of colon cancer! Don't ignore this... it could be nothing or it could be something.... and that something can be fatal! The blood went away after a few days but by that time, someone had cancelled their colonoscopy and I took that appointment and the cancerous polyp was discovered. If I had ignored the blood, not gone to the doc, not had someone cancel their appointment for a colonoscopy, I would not be here today! It was a fast growing cancer and it was found almost immediately! I am blessed..... Don't ignore the warning..... AND I do hope that it is nothing....
[font=Comic Sans Ms]

#9 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:32 AM

Everyone is right to tell you not to ignore this, and not to wait--but if you don't have insurance til next month, that really is something to consider, too--if it turns out to be something requiring expensive tests/treatments, you will be responsible for EVERYTHING, even after your insurance kicks in (pre-existing condition).

For the next couple of days, I would TOTALLY avoid all dairy. If you are dying for ice cream, you might try Sharon's Coconut Sorbet--yummy, creamy, and totally dairy-free. And please please PLEASE try to eat a healthy diet.

I had some weird kind of undiagnosed hypoglycemia in junior high--my mom would make me French toast for breakfast, and I would be dizzy, nauseated, and shaky by lunchtime. The school nurse tried having me eat an apple before lunchtime came around, but I would vomit. A couple of times, I passed out.

The answer (remember, nobody considered hypoglycemia, the doctor just said that I was "sensitive." :ph34r: ) ended up being breakfast--if I ate eggs for breakfast, I was perfectly fine.

So please try a high-protein, low-carb breakfast, and helathy, high-protein snacks throughout the day and let us know if things get better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: