29 replies to this topic

#1 I'm more celiac than you

I'm more celiac than you

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:53 AM

I play High School lacrosse and last season (before being diagnosed) I experienced joint pains so bad that I was put on the injured list for over half the season. The pains occured mostly in my knees and ankles but some times in other areas such as my hip and groin. I was told by my doctor that it was probably related to celiac. Has anybody else had symptoms like these?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:11 PM

:( sure do and i think it is because we dont absorb our vitamins like we need to before going gluten-free--the pains should lesson as you get the gluten out of your system--i do find that if i do get some gluten or even soy, my pain comes back---but--yes is the answer--you are not alone! deb :)
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:41 PM

Joint pain was and still is a problem for me (however, the pain is less often now after going gluten free). Before going gluten-free, I had pain in both knees, my hip, and sometimes my ankles. Now I just experience some knee pain once in awhile.

Try taking daily calcium and vitamin D supplements. These may help.....
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#4 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:48 PM

i suffer much knee pain too--some times a few weeks will go by and nothing and then i will have pain for several days---i do take a good daily vitamin, but when i add calcium to it--my tummy complains <_< always something huh :rolleyes: i do feel that much of the pain is cleiac connected, but then again--i am getting old ;) deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#5 llj012564

llj012564

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:23 AM

B4 going gluten-free I had joint pain that led my dr to Dx me with Fibro and put me on pain meds for almost 3 years. <_< Now that I've been on the diet I'm off the meds and the pain is under control its not gone 100% but then like Deb im getting old and that could bet more the problem then anything. At leats now I dont feel like im ready for a wheel chair B)

#6 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:30 PM

I had joint pain in my feet since I was 14. I had a radical buniondectomy when I was 23 and the doctor said my case was worse than more 70 year olds. I went gluten free at 33 and that's helping.
Michigan

#7 Seosamh

Seosamh

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:35 PM

I've had joing pain for years, and it certainly seems related to celiac disease! Knees and elbows and wrists. Glucosamine + Chondroitin helps me--at least the arthritis end of it.
Positive blood test
Positive biopsy
Hypothyroidic
Gluten-free since Jan. 28, 2004

#8 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:49 PM

Mine's gone away enough i expect to get back to playing b-ball soon.
42 now, and haven't been able to play for 5 yrs. Started gluten-free (finally) 11 mos ago.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#9 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:40 PM

Now i remember long before i knew i had celiac my left wrist hurted sometimes. In training camp it was so bad i couldn't even do push ups anymore. Sometimes it was there a few weeks, then it was gone again. My left knee makes strange noise, too. Though it doesn't hurt. But my right hip sometimes hurts so bad, i can't even walk. This hip pain started about two years ago and when i have it, it really shots down on the side of my leg. Since going glutenfree and regular sport it became very rare, though. It's worse when i don't do sports for a while or when i glutened myself accidentaly.

Stef
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#10 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:54 AM

B4 going gluten-free I had joint pain that led my dr to Dx me with Fibro and put me on pain meds for almost 3 years.  <_<

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue about 4 years ago. I was prescribed pain killers, which often only make me more tired. Now I wonder if it is really just other symptoms of celiac disease?? <_< Probably don't help my chronic constipation problem either.

I'm only just finishing my first week since diagnosis, so I guess I'll find out...probably through this forum, as the information here is far more helpful than I think most drs are.

:rolleyes: Maggie
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#11 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:05 AM

This morning, my joint pain has returned with a vengeance.... Every once in a while it comes back, although I can't figure out any particular reason why, it's not like I was recently glutened or anything.....

My right shoulder, left hip and just killing me - I am limping around here like an 80 year old.....

Ah, the joys of celiac.....

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#12 llj012564

llj012564

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 07:45 AM

Hey Karen I to have days that I feel like Im and 80 yr old .... Im not sure where it comes from ... I was very active in sports in my younger years and have physically abused my body in most of my jobs so I have always figured that I would pay for it some day.... Maybe for me that day is sooner than I had planed <_< I can say that since I have been gluten-free I dont have to take the pain meds like I used to B) My Dr still gives them to me but only on a Prn basis, which is all I need them for now. B4 gluten-free it was Lortab 7.5 mg 3x a day just to function. If you can call it function when you in a fog most of the day :blink: So for me the gluten-free did make a difference in my pain .

#13 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:16 AM

I forgot to mention before that I take glucosamine powder (around 30ml a day) for bone pain. I also have double strength apple cider vinegar. Maggie :)
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#14 llj012564

llj012564

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:49 AM

I have thought about taking Glucosamine .... what brands are gluten-free? or what brands have any of you had good luck with? My left hip and knees give me trouble from time to time from all the years I was a catcher in fast-pitch softball <_< Whats the deal with the apple cider vinager?
Maggie your from the land down under right ..... My niece is going to college in Sydney and her mother and I may be trying to paln a trip there next summer ... well winter I guess ... In June or July ... I hate to fly but thats the one place i have always wanted to go. The funny thing is I work for an airline and never use my flight bennifits <_< Im rambling sorry

#15 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:55 AM

I was also diagnosed with fibro and chronic fatogue....all post viral...before I learned of my gluten intolerance.
They only thing gave me (for years) was different meds(pain killers, etc) and nothing helped. I can see a direct correlation between the pain and gluten. It's probably due to the fact that we don't absorb necessary nutrients porperly. I also think we are more sensitive so a lot of things that we ingest and that they directly affect out muscles. At least that's how it's been working for me.
Mel
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: