This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Joint Pain

I'm more celiac than you

I'm more celiac than you Newbie

I play High School lacrosse and last season (before being diagnosed) I experienced joint pains so bad that I was put on the injured list for over half the season. The pains occured mostly in my knees and ankles but some times in other areas such as my hip and groin. I was told by my doctor that it was probably related to celiac. Has anybody else had symptoms like these?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:( sure do and i think it is because we dont absorb our vitamins like we need to before going gluten-free--the pains should lesson as you get the gluten out of your system--i do find that if i do get some gluten or even soy, my pain comes back---but--yes is the answer--you are not alone! deb :)
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Joint pain was and still is a problem for me (however, the pain is less often now after going gluten free). Before going gluten-free, I had pain in both knees, my hip, and sometimes my ankles. Now I just experience some knee pain once in awhile.

Try taking daily calcium and vitamin D supplements. These may help.....

darlindeb25 Collaborator

i suffer much knee pain too--some times a few weeks will go by and nothing and then i will have pain for several days---i do take a good daily vitamin, but when i add calcium to it--my tummy complains <_< always something huh :rolleyes: i do feel that much of the pain is cleiac connected, but then again--i am getting old ;) deb

llj012564 Newbie

B4 going gluten-free I had joint pain that led my dr to Dx me with Fibro and put me on pain meds for almost 3 years. <_< Now that I've been on the diet I'm off the meds and the pain is under control its not gone 100% but then like Deb im getting old and that could bet more the problem then anything. At leats now I dont feel like im ready for a wheel chair B)

mommida Enthusiast

I had joint pain in my feet since I was 14. I had a radical buniondectomy when I was 23 and the doctor said my case was worse than more 70 year olds. I went gluten free at 33 and that's helping.

Seosamh Newbie

I've had joing pain for years, and it certainly seems related to celiac disease! Knees and elbows and wrists. Glucosamine + Chondroitin helps me--at least the arthritis end of it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor

Mine's gone away enough i expect to get back to playing b-ball soon.

42 now, and haven't been able to play for 5 yrs. Started gluten-free (finally) 11 mos ago.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Now i remember long before i knew i had celiac my left wrist hurted sometimes. In training camp it was so bad i couldn't even do push ups anymore. Sometimes it was there a few weeks, then it was gone again. My left knee makes strange noise, too. Though it doesn't hurt. But my right hip sometimes hurts so bad, i can't even walk. This hip pain started about two years ago and when i have it, it really shots down on the side of my leg. Since going glutenfree and regular sport it became very rare, though. It's worse when i don't do sports for a while or when i glutened myself accidentaly.

Stef

Maggie1956 Rookie
B4 going gluten-free I had joint pain that led my dr to Dx me with Fibro and put me on pain meds for almost 3 years.  <_<

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue about 4 years ago. I was prescribed pain killers, which often only make me more tired. Now I wonder if it is really just other symptoms of celiac disease?? <_< Probably don't help my chronic constipation problem either.

I'm only just finishing my first week since diagnosis, so I guess I'll find out...probably through this forum, as the information here is far more helpful than I think most drs are.

:rolleyes: Maggie

Canadian Karen Community Regular

This morning, my joint pain has returned with a vengeance.... Every once in a while it comes back, although I can't figure out any particular reason why, it's not like I was recently glutened or anything.....

My right shoulder, left hip and just killing me - I am limping around here like an 80 year old.....

Ah, the joys of celiac.....

Karen

llj012564 Newbie

Hey Karen I to have days that I feel like Im and 80 yr old .... Im not sure where it comes from ... I was very active in sports in my younger years and have physically abused my body in most of my jobs so I have always figured that I would pay for it some day.... Maybe for me that day is sooner than I had planed <_< I can say that since I have been gluten-free I dont have to take the pain meds like I used to B) My Dr still gives them to me but only on a Prn basis, which is all I need them for now. B4 gluten-free it was Lortab 7.5 mg 3x a day just to function. If you can call it function when you in a fog most of the day :blink: So for me the gluten-free did make a difference in my pain .

Maggie1956 Rookie

I forgot to mention before that I take glucosamine powder (around 30ml a day) for bone pain. I also have double strength apple cider vinegar. Maggie :)

llj012564 Newbie

I have thought about taking Glucosamine .... what brands are gluten-free? or what brands have any of you had good luck with? My left hip and knees give me trouble from time to time from all the years I was a catcher in fast-pitch softball <_< Whats the deal with the apple cider vinager?

Maggie your from the land down under right ..... My niece is going to college in Sydney and her mother and I may be trying to paln a trip there next summer ... well winter I guess ... In June or July ... I hate to fly but thats the one place i have always wanted to go. The funny thing is I work for an airline and never use my flight bennifits <_< Im rambling sorry

mela14 Enthusiast

I was also diagnosed with fibro and chronic fatogue....all post viral...before I learned of my gluten intolerance.

They only thing gave me (for years) was different meds(pain killers, etc) and nothing helped. I can see a direct correlation between the pain and gluten. It's probably due to the fact that we don't absorb necessary nutrients porperly. I also think we are more sensitive so a lot of things that we ingest and that they directly affect out muscles. At least that's how it's been working for me.

Mel

carolyno Newbie

Here's my 2 cents: I was diagnosed with Celiac 2-1/2 years ago, and although the digestion was improving after going gluten-free, the muscle pain remained fierce. After researching all the possibilities, I concluded that it had to be a yeast imbalance since my intestinal tract was so trashed. I've remained on a yeast free diet and a daily regime of yeast killer pills. It has worked. My body is free of the muscle pain.

My neuropathy....that's another issue! I still have nerve damage from the gluten ingestion!

Carolyn :rolleyes:

mela14 Enthusiast

Are you avoiding sugar too? What yeast killer pills are you on? do you take a probiotic as well. If so...which one.

Just curious...if it helped you...maybe it can help others.

Thanks,

cdford Contributor

The good news is that my neurologist says that our neuropathy will get better over time. My is so bad that I am permanently disabled. I'd just like to get out of this wheelchair and walk even if I can't go back to work. One lunch out set my neurological problems back the whole 2 yrs worth of getting better. Yuck.

The pain is a whole other story. I have been extremely careful and still can't get back to having pain-free days. I have a history of yeast infections but haven't shown any symptoms since shortly after I went on the gluten-free diet. If a yeast-free diet has helped you, I may try again. This winter pain is awful.

By the way, what pain meds are you on? I am having a devil of a time finding a gluten-free tramadol (generic Ultram). I use that particular pain med because it works quite well and is not addictive.

Donna

almost 2 yrs gluten-free

tom Contributor
After researching all the possibilities, I concluded that it had to be a yeast imbalance since my intestinal tract was so trashed. I've remained on a yeast free diet and a daily regime of yeast killer pills. It has worked. My body is free of the muscle pain.

My neuropathy....that's another issue! I still have nerve damage from the gluten ingestion!

Carolyn :rolleyes:

Interesting that it was yeast that made the last difference.

I think sometimes ppl stop looking as hard for 'what else is keeping things from being great' after the improvement from starting gluten-free. I know i did. In spite of not feeling great, it was such a relief to not feel awful, that i kinda lost the perspective that 'not feeling awful' was still a ways from 'feeling good'.

For me, it was casein that finally released me.

I've seen a few stories like this, w/ diff foods (besides the gluten) finally making the difference. I've seen great praise given lately to York Labs ELISA foodScan testing, where they check for problems w/ 113 diff foods.

(Open Original Shared Link Advertisement/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2004_Feb_17/ai_113344041)

It IS expensive, but if i can find out another crucial food to avoid, it'll be well worth it to not go thru more sick days and trying to figure out why.

I too still have times where part of a hand or foot gets numb quickly, or tingly fingers, or my foot suddenly feeling like i'm stepping on a pencil point for 5 seconds.

I expect it'll get less frequent but i'm just so happy last yr's hell is gone it barely matters these days.

FreyaUSA Contributor

Donna, as Tom described, the numbness, achy, tingly feeling in hands and feet, is that what your doctor said will go away in time? For some reason, mine has been acting up horribly over the last few days to the point where I wake up 5-10xs a night from it (just my hands though.) I didn't know if this would change or not. Say it's so!

Maggie1956 Rookie
I have thought about taking Glucosamine .... what brands are gluten-free? or what brands have any of you had good luck with?

Whats the deal with the apple cider vinager?

Maggie your from the land down under right ..... My niece is going to college in Sydney and her mother and I may be trying to paln a trip there next summer ... well winter I guess ... In June or July ... I hate to fly but thats the one place i have always wanted to go. The funny thing is I work for an airline and never use my flight bennifits <_< Im rambling sorry

Hi llj..,

I take a brand called NUTRA-LIFE, but it is manufactured in New Zealand. I guess it isn't available in USA.

<_< I don't think it is gluten-free. It doesn't say it is anyway. Drat! :angry:

It also says it contains: dextrose, maltodexrtin, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM ( Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) Chondroitin sulphate, Ascorpic Acid, Bioflavonoids, Manganese sulphate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulphate.

So, I guess I'm actually taking something that in one way isn't good for the celiac disease?? But WHAT do I take for the bone pains?

They have been really bad today, and the glucosamine does really relieve it.

Ok, to the apple cider vinegar. The one I use is made from whole apples - unfiltered, unpasteurised -aged in wood. 8% acidity. The 'mother' hasn't been killed by pasteurisation.

I use it on my meats and salads.

Here are a couple of links to help explain it more.

Open Original Shared Link

• 2 weeks later...
girlygirl Newbie

Someone mentioned Vitamin D supplements, Cod Liver oil is the best vitamin d supplementation choice. Before starting any vitamin D supplementation however, it would be a good idea to get your levels checked. It would also be a good idea to read up on the benefits of Cod Liver Oil, Mercola.com and Westonaprice.org is a great place to start. Cod Liver Oil helps with RA and a host of other diseases. Good Luck!!

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) maggie and all--my sister takes glucosamine--she says it works wonders and yes--it is gluten-free--at lest the brand she gets is--i know she got it at Sams in Lansing--i have a spray that i use on my knees--the name brand is "Stopain" a topical analgesic spray--it contains glucosamine and msm--ingredients: menthol, sd alcohol39-c, purified water usp, dimetylsulfone (MSM), citric acid, glucosamine sulfate, eucalyptus oil, and peppermint oil----all good and works very well for pain-----deb
  • 2 weeks later...
Maggie1956 Rookie

I know that when I haven't had Glucosamine for a few days...(such as when I've run out a few days before pay day :angry: ) I really ache.

It's good to hear that it is gluten-free Deb.

I've started having calcium/magnesium capsules also. They are helping with the pains.

I helped my friend clean a large house last Monday, and the pain has been really bad since. :( I hate to say anything to her as she needs the help, but BOY do I feel it for up to a week afterwards, when I overdo it.

Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you deal with it? Some days I can't do much cleaning etc. at all because of pain and stiffness.

PS I was off the meds during the time as well, because of running out of $$$ to buy more. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
allisonj-98 Newbie

For what it is worth....

My doctor prescribed magnesium maleate for me. I also took mag shots (ouch!) for a couple of weeks. I had stiff joints...feet knees and fingers. It made a HUGE difference and stiffness and pain is now gone. He was very specific on mag MALEATE.

Hope this helps if you try it.

Allison

Georgia

Archived