29 replies to this topic

#16 carolyno

carolyno

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:32 AM

Here's my 2 cents: I was diagnosed with Celiac 2-1/2 years ago, and although the digestion was improving after going gluten-free, the muscle pain remained fierce. After researching all the possibilities, I concluded that it had to be a yeast imbalance since my intestinal tract was so trashed. I've remained on a yeast free diet and a daily regime of yeast killer pills. It has worked. My body is free of the muscle pain.

My neuropathy....that's another issue! I still have nerve damage from the gluten ingestion!

Carolyn :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 mela14

mela14

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 10:48 AM

Are you avoiding sugar too? What yeast killer pills are you on? do you take a probiotic as well. If so...which one.
Just curious...if it helped you...maybe it can help others.
Thanks,
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#18 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:06 AM

The good news is that my neurologist says that our neuropathy will get better over time. My is so bad that I am permanently disabled. I'd just like to get out of this wheelchair and walk even if I can't go back to work. One lunch out set my neurological problems back the whole 2 yrs worth of getting better. Yuck.

The pain is a whole other story. I have been extremely careful and still can't get back to having pain-free days. I have a history of yeast infections but haven't shown any symptoms since shortly after I went on the gluten-free diet. If a yeast-free diet has helped you, I may try again. This winter pain is awful.

By the way, what pain meds are you on? I am having a devil of a time finding a gluten-free tramadol (generic Ultram). I use that particular pain med because it works quite well and is not addictive.

Donna
almost 2 yrs gluten-free
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#19 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 03:57 PM

After researching all the possibilities, I concluded that it had to be a yeast imbalance since my intestinal tract was so trashed. I've remained on a yeast free diet and a daily regime of yeast killer pills. It has worked. My body is free of the muscle pain.

My neuropathy....that's another issue! I still have nerve damage from the gluten ingestion!

Carolyn :rolleyes:

Interesting that it was yeast that made the last difference.
I think sometimes ppl stop looking as hard for 'what else is keeping things from being great' after the improvement from starting gluten-free. I know i did. In spite of not feeling great, it was such a relief to not feel awful, that i kinda lost the perspective that 'not feeling awful' was still a ways from 'feeling good'.
For me, it was casein that finally released me.

I've seen a few stories like this, w/ diff foods (besides the gluten) finally making the difference. I've seen great praise given lately to York Labs ELISA foodScan testing, where they check for problems w/ 113 diff foods.
(http://www.Lame Advertisement/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2004_Feb_17/ai_113344041)

It IS expensive, but if i can find out another crucial food to avoid, it'll be well worth it to not go thru more sick days and trying to figure out why.

I too still have times where part of a hand or foot gets numb quickly, or tingly fingers, or my foot suddenly feeling like i'm stepping on a pencil point for 5 seconds.
I expect it'll get less frequent but i'm just so happy last yr's hell is gone it barely matters these days.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#20 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:00 PM

Donna, as Tom described, the numbness, achy, tingly feeling in hands and feet, is that what your doctor said will go away in time? For some reason, mine has been acting up horribly over the last few days to the point where I wake up 5-10xs a night from it (just my hands though.) I didn't know if this would change or not. Say it's so!

#21 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 08:39 PM

I have thought about taking Glucosamine .... what brands are gluten-free? or what brands have any of you had good luck with?

Whats the deal with the apple cider vinager?

Maggie your from the land down under right ..... My niece is going to college in Sydney and her mother and I may be trying to paln a trip there next summer ... well winter I guess ... In June or July ... I hate to fly but thats the one place i have always wanted to go. The funny thing is I work for an airline and never use my flight bennifits <_< Im rambling sorry

Hi llj..,

I take a brand called NUTRA-LIFE, but it is manufactured in New Zealand. I guess it isn't available in USA.

<_< I don't think it is gluten-free. It doesn't say it is anyway. Drat! :angry:

It also says it contains: dextrose, maltodexrtin, Glucosamine Sulphate, MSM ( Methyl Sulfonyl Methane) Chondroitin sulphate, Ascorpic Acid, Bioflavonoids, Manganese sulphate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulphate.

So, I guess I'm actually taking something that in one way isn't good for the celiac disease?? But WHAT do I take for the bone pains?
They have been really bad today, and the glucosamine does really relieve it.

Ok, to the apple cider vinegar. The one I use is made from whole apples - unfiltered, unpasteurised -aged in wood. 8% acidity. The 'mother' hasn't been killed by pasteurisation.
I use it on my meats and salads.
Here are a couple of links to help explain it more.

http://www.lacetolea...wonderdrug.html

http://www.parrothouse.com/acv.html

http://fl.essortment...ofappl_rrak.htm
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#22 girlygirl

girlygirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:47 AM

Someone mentioned Vitamin D supplements, Cod Liver oil is the best vitamin d supplementation choice. Before starting any vitamin D supplementation however, it would be a good idea to get your levels checked. It would also be a good idea to read up on the benefits of Cod Liver Oil, Mercola.com and Westonaprice.org is a great place to start. Cod Liver Oil helps with RA and a host of other diseases. Good Luck!!

#23 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:13 AM

;) maggie and all--my sister takes glucosamine--she says it works wonders and yes--it is gluten-free--at lest the brand she gets is--i know she got it at Sams in Lansing--i have a spray that i use on my knees--the name brand is "Stopain" a topical analgesic spray--it contains glucosamine and msm--ingredients: menthol, sd alcohol39-c, purified water usp, dimetylsulfone (MSM), citric acid, glucosamine sulfate, eucalyptus oil, and peppermint oil----all good and works very well for pain-----deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#24 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:28 AM

I know that when I haven't had Glucosamine for a few days...(such as when I've run out a few days before pay day :angry: ) I really ache.
It's good to hear that it is gluten-free Deb.

I've started having calcium/magnesium capsules also. They are helping with the pains.

I helped my friend clean a large house last Monday, and the pain has been really bad since. :( I hate to say anything to her as she needs the help, but BOY do I feel it for up to a week afterwards, when I overdo it.
Does anyone else have this problem, and how do you deal with it? Some days I can't do much cleaning etc. at all because of pain and stiffness.
PS I was off the meds during the time as well, because of running out of $$$ to buy more. :ph34r:
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#25 allisonj_98

allisonj_98

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:25 AM

For what it is worth....

My doctor prescribed magnesium maleate for me. I also took mag shots (ouch!) for a couple of weeks. I had stiff joints...feet knees and fingers. It made a HUGE difference and stiffness and pain is now gone. He was very specific on mag MALEATE.

Hope this helps if you try it.

Allison
Georgia

#26 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 04:01 PM

OK this will sound weird but since going gluten-free two weeks ago my tummy feels great but my head is foggy, tremors in hands, light headedness, joint pain.
Why are all of these symptoms coming when I eliminate gluten? So confused...any ideas?
By the way, I also have an abundance of yeast...what do you eat on a yeast free diet? I'm assuming no sugar/no bread but that is very hard.
Also, what is casein in? That's a new term for me.
Jennifer

#27 llj012564

llj012564

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 07:16 AM

Hey jennifer casein is dairy ;) ..... I have to follow a gluten-free C/F diet also no egg no soy amoung others if you are looking for a calcium sup go to www.GFCFDiet.com its a website for kids that have to follow both diets but they have lots of great vitamines. :) Lora

#28 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 03:41 PM

Ok, so what on earth is left to eat if you cut out gluten, casein, soy, eggs??? Veggies and meat? I could NOT live on only that. I'd rather just get sick.

#29 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:04 PM

Since you have been glutenfree for two weeks, your body might be in detox stage. The symptoms you are having could very well be your body finally eliminating the gluten from your system, and trying to adjust to not having to fight it any more. If you truly prefer being sick over not eating the foods that make you sick, then have at it. It's your body, do as you please with it, just don't complain to me about being sick. Of course, if you are like me and are just blowing off steam and frustration over the severe restrictions of the diet, then I really sympathize. It is very hard to do, and sometimes I wonder if death would just be a better option. I feel that this is a normal feeling, and I must work through it, and stop looking at the negative side. Instead of thinking of all the foods I cannot have, I focus on the foods I can have. I ate a very delicious fruit cup at Wendy's today, and did not worry one whit about gluten. There are positives, you just have to look for them.
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#30 Guest_Leidenschaft_*

Guest_Leidenschaft_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:06 PM

:blink: All I can say is WOW!!! I almost feel guilty with the few symptoms I have! Can anyone tell me if there is a relavance to the amount/severity of symptoms and the severity of damage to the intestines?? I guess what I'm trying to get at... if I'm not feeling as sick as some from any contamination with gluten, am I also not having as much damage done to my intestines?

Basically I know I've been "glutinated" when I rush to the bathroom first thing in the AM. Diarhea... I know I've been REALLY "glutinated" when I go a second or maybe a third time.
I do have irritability often, however I can also blame that on PMS, stress of owning my own business, working 16 hour days 7 days/week, financial burdens, etc....

I think I'm most frustrated by the pain in my left shoulder, however I've also been told this is tendonitis/bursitis/frozen shoulder... My job is very physical and it seems like I'm always getting hurt, hands, neck, shoulders, back. I also have a VERY hard time sticking to a vitamin regime due to very irregular meal times. Next month I get blood work done to see what my vitamin levels are at... I'm hoping my body is starting to absorb more nutrition from my food and I won't have to take so many pills everyday. It's been almost 13 months gluten-free, and for the past two months I've let me vitamins slide completely... I tell myself it's to be ready for the bloodwork, however it's more a lack of ability to get them in my face daily! <_<

I really appreciate this board, I've been gluten-free for a year and in denial for 15 years, I don't know what took me so long to learn more about the people who suffer from this bizarre disease! I can't believe the variety of symptoms, no wonder it's so misdiagnosed! :o

Looking forward to learning more from the REAL experts! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: